Wheeler

Wild Boar Hunt.. GoPro Hero 8

10 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

That's flippin Awesome!!!!

Gentlemen that is why 30 rd mags are needed.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

Gentlemen that is why 30 rd mags are needed.

That's what I'm talking about!!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CamKnouff said:

Looks like a lot of wounded animals, not how I was brought up.

Sometimes when team shooting the best shooter knocks them down and the wingman finishes them off as needed.  It's good training for the novice shooter.

16 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

Sometimes when team shooting the best shooter knocks them down and the wingman finishes them off as needed.  It's good training for the novice shooter.

"Sometimes"?

10 minutes ago, CamKnouff said:

"Sometimes"?

I could have said "literally all the time" but I'm not one to exaggerate.   The hog hunts I personally, and those I'm associated with that have been involved in such hog hunts all work that way so I feel the word sometimes fits my knowledge.   I can be reasonably assured that not all hog hunts are done in that manner only because I haven't been on all hog hunts.

I still understand the difference between figuratively and literally. 😉

Pretty sure I have told this story before , not sure if it was here or the Hondaatv site :

I have a couple of buddies who are all into hog hunting with  no guns , just a knife is used for the kill , they do carry side arms for protection and snakes , but never shot them ---- Gary has a 23 x 8 ft aluminum flat boat built by the same company that built mine , Custom Flats , his has been turned into a landing barge with a winch operated loading ramp on the front so 2 - 4wheelers can be loaded and unloaded onto the banks of the bayous off the boat , he has a dozen dogs with a first class kennel at his farm , the dogs are a mix of PitBulls , Curs , Catahoulas and a Russian Bear Dog , the Bear Dog is a very expensive dog and the smeller of the pack , he don't let him go on the chase so he doesn't get hurt , they all wear Kevlar vest and have 2 collars on , the lead chase dog which is a Catahoula wears 3 collars , one collar is a GPS locator which puts the dogs on the screens on the bikes , one collar is a shock collar for control of the dogs and the third collar is for  a  remote drone , which flies itself , it follows the lead dog , the drone  has  obstacle avoidance and videos the hunt , they ride the banks of the bayous with the Bear Dog on the bow , when that dog alerts they hit the bank and let out the dogs , they watch the screen of the GPS on the bikes and when the dogs all gather in one spot , they know they have one bayed up , they ride to the spot , some are caught live , tied up and taken to a facility that will buy them for $1 a pound if there is no cuts or sores on the hog , they pen them off for a month and feed them well to cleanse them out , the meat is given to finer restaurants where it is prepared and sold as a plate which the money goes to eraticating hogs here in Louisiana cause they are a real problem 

I have seen many videos now of the chase , they don't let these videos get out as the PITA people would freak out with cruelty to animals for sure , still the best video I like is the lead dog has a hog worn out and cornered up and is barking for the other dogs to come in , the drone is hovering over head filming it all , he is keeping his distance from the hog , then you see the Pit Bulls come charging  into view , full speed , no hesitation and grab the hog by his ears and balls taking him down immediately , then the lead dog waits till the hog is under control and then  will run in and get him a little bite on the leg of the hog and run back away and bark  , then go in and get a another bite , he ain't stupid   

here is a OK video from down under 

Wanted to do a little reading before commenting. This was an interesting article,  knew feral hogs were a problem but had no idea how much of a problem.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/09/wild-pigs-are-everywhere/616389/

Is there any way/chance to catch up and get ahead of this issue? I don't necessarily like to see animals suffer but these things seem like they've become as much as a nuisance as rats except in a much larger agressive package.  These things must have an incredible effect on the farmers and Ranchers livlihood, to the point that they don't see any other way to deal with them. Sorry if this offends, but it still looks like fun to me. And from the one part in the video somewhat dangerous.🤯

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Freedomflyer said:

Wanted to do a little reading before commenting. This was an interesting article,  knew feral hogs were a problem but had no idea how much of a problem.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/09/wild-pigs-are-everywhere/616389/

Is there any way/chance to catch up and get ahead of this issue? I don't necessarily like to see animals suffer but these things seem like they've become as much as a nuisance as rats except in a much larger agressive package.  These things must have an incredible effect on the farmers and Ranchers livlihood, to the point that they don't see any other way to deal with them. Sorry if this offends, but it still looks like fun to me. And from the one part in the video somewhat dangerous.🤯

Something has to be done and done fast.  As attitudes towards hunting changes so does the animal population.   Furs became unpopular because,  well, no need to go there.. and raccoon populations exploded.  Locally the sweet corn farmers had to hire hunters to control the population explosion since the Raccoon was now at the top of the food chain.

Now things are back to normal.  No more devastating crop losses.  There will always be a percentage of loss but that's normal.   Three years ago one farmer took 283 coons in one growing season.  He couldn't stay in business otherwise. 

• Like 3

I think we got more coons per acre than any other animal , they are thick , got some trail cam pics with 12-15 around every feeder -----  some people eat them , roasted in the oven with sweet potatoes , you have to get all the musk glands out of them or they don't taste good 

• Like 1

Looks like Alberta is going to pay $75.00 a head for boar. Could make a bit of money doing that on E.I......🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 6:23 PM, Fishfiles said:

The worst ducks are the fish eater ducks  ---- 

You just gotta know how to properly cook the mergansers.

Breast the duck.

Wrap the breast in a semi-dry cowpattie

Cook on the grill on 300 for about 30 mins.

Remove from grill, toss merganser breast, eat the cowpattie.

• Haha 3

On 4/26/2021 at 1:33 PM, Fishfiles said:

Works better suppressed, although you don't get that kind of range with a suppressor shooting subsonics.

We've had hogs sporadically on the farm since the big flood of 2011 (got Fireants at the same time).

All I can say is that they will absolutely destroy the land.  They will ruin the ecosystem for all other animals if you allow them to breed and forage unhindered.

Lot of folks around here trap them and just shoot them in the traps.  I'm all for humane hunting, but this isnt' really hunting, it's pest eradication.

• Like 1

I really don't like duck , my buddy brought some teal breast wrapped in bacon and marinated , talked about how good it was for about  an hour till  it was ready , took one bite and spit it into a napkin when he wasn't looking , reminds me of liver 

eru one then into the one behind  

we can shot hogs  at night , you are suppose to call the sheriff and let them know ahead of time if you going to be shooting at night , no limits 

My hog hunt this year is a bust! Supposed to be there today. But my buddy got COVID last week & says he’s fine now. He didn’t sound fine. I couldn’t take a Chance. So I didn’t go…

• Sad 1

jeep you,forgot about the dillas that came in to, they made a mess out off my yard a few years back..... two them, and i got them both with the trusty Remington  870 super mag.... here's one, i took a pic of, I'll say this..... I'm not humane when it comes to wild hogs, and dillas, I'll shoot them soon as i see them, if i have a pistol, long un with me...... and then there's that sickness dillas carry, i can't recall the name of it, but people say shoot them and let them lay, don't pick them up without gloves, i used a shovel ..... took them on the back side of my land and fed them to the buzzards, and i have no issue killing those nasty scavengers ether, cause they go right for a new born valves eyes every single time, no telling how many calves / money they have cost Dennis........ and as for the ASPCA .......stuff them..... i own this land......sick and tired of them begging for money, get it from those whack jobs in Hollywood. 

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

Leprosy is the name of the disease that armadillos carry ---- some people eat them over in Texas , have never heard of anyone eating them here --- I shoot one Friday night , my yard is a mess right now from them 

• Thanks 1

They root for grubs.

Back when my grandmother sodded our yard with Zoysia they were tearing it up so she'd have me patrol at night with a shotgun and flashlight.

Eventually she sprayed something that killed the grubs, so with no grubs to eat, the dillas left the yard alone and went elsewhere.

i know we've talked about this before, but the thing is the only grubs i could find were around where i stacked my wood pile, and i mean the soil was eat with them, and not once did i ever see where a dilla rooted around for a grub worm, i never understood why they never ripped that area up..... the two i shot were just digging a hole for a home, because both holes were deep, deeper then you find a grub plus one hole was dug in packed clay, and dry packed clay is hard! 

The armadillos are going wild here , seen 3 at one time this morning in the neighbors yard , a herd !!!!!  ---  right after day break , drinking coffee on the porch with the wife  and here them come in line , along the fence line , should have shoot over the fence --- I have never seen three at one time before