THH

1985 ATC250SX

Weather has been real nice here lately and enough snow has melted for me to get my 250SX out of the lower level of my barn.

I drove it in and parked it there in 2012 and its been sitting ever since.

I hooked a strap to it and pulled it over to my garage with my 450 Foreman.

Time to blow the dust off and see what its going to take to bring it back to life!!

I have owned it for close to thirty years and used to ride it pretty hard.

All I know at this time is the swing arm bearings are shot, kick start does'nt grab all the time, muffler is shot which will be tough to find a replacement.

250SX 1.jpg

250SX 2.jpg

250SX 3.jpg

250SX 4.jpg

250SX 5.jpg

250SX 6.jpg

250SX 7.jpg

• Like 5

Got into it a little deeper and found some problems with crankcase that are not good.

Couple of missing bolts in clutch side cover and threads are stripped out.

Part of crankcase is broke on bottom on same side filled with silicone at bolt location.

Lots of utv sealant at both side covers.

Oil drain bolt is SAE 1/2" coarse thread bolt with what looks like heli-coil in plug hole with some kind of material stuck to bottom of crankcase at drain hole.

Quite the wiring job behind the headlight!!

I believe the engine is out of 250ES because its silver and I think the SX came with black engine, crankcase serial number indicates correct year.

All issues found so far are from previous owners handiwork, I should have looked it over closer back when I bought it but I got a lot of fun years out of it and all I ever did to it was change the oil.

I dont think with the condition of the crankcase it would be worth putting money into this engine, but will likely try to find a replacement that I can work with.

250 3.jpg

250 6.jpg

250 7.jpg

250 8.jpg

250 9.jpg

250 11.jpg

250 12.jpg

250 16.jpg

250 21.jpg

250 17.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

wow! the PO sure didnt give that bike any love, no telling what the silicone did to the guts of the engine, and he did the hack wire job to ? 

@_Wilson_™, Not sure about the effects of the sealant but engine has always run good with no issues that I'm aware of.

It would be interesting to see how everything looks on the inside though.

I just dont think with the condition of the crankcase it would be worth sinking money into it, I have a couple leads on transplant engines.

The electrical hack work was by PO but I own some of it too, I changed the harness before due to rodent damage and hacked it in the way it was to get riding again!

I have replacement harnesses to make it right.

• Like 1

i agree, sure would  be curious just see what (if any) damage was done, hope you can bring that old girl back to good condition. 

Slowly progressing.

Had a few stubborn nuts and bolts but I have all broke free now after a couple days of penetrating oil.

I have always kept it under cover so most everything is coming apart nicely.

Swing arm and wheel bearings are ordered along with Shindy kit for the carb and a few used parts from e-bay.

I got the engine pulled today and getting ready to pull the rear end out of it.

I have found a couple engines for consideration, Im not finding many originals available so the search continues.

Pictures of black engine is one the two I have located.

Engine out 1.jpg

Engine out 2.jpg

250SX engine 2.jpg

250SX engine 3.jpg

250SX engine 4.jpg

250SX engine 5.jpg

Got the rear end and swing arm out today.

Going to start cleaning up parts and getting swing arm bearing races out of the frame while im waiting on parts.

Rear shock bottom bolt is seized to the bushing so I had to leave it attached to the swing arm until I can get it loosened up.

Swing arm out 1.jpg

Swing arm out 2.jpg

• Like 1

Spent the day cleaning parts and removing swing arm bearing races out of the frame.

Bearing races fought me for a little while but they are out.

Lower shock mount bolt on swing arm is not budging yet, I put penetrating lubricant and heat to it throughout the day and it just wont give!!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, THH said:

Spent the day cleaning parts and removing swing arm bearing races out of the frame.

Bearing races fought me for a little while but they are out.

Lower shock mount bolt on swing arm is not budging yet, I put penetrating lubricant and heat to it throughout the day and it just wont give!!

Did you try a cheater pipe ???--   if all else fails , do you have a grinder ,  grind the head of the  bolt  or nut away 

@Fishfiles

I should have explained better I got the nut off and bolt spins but bolt is seized to metal bushing so it wont come out.

I have a grinder but very little clearance between shock mount and swing arm.

• Like 1

I remember you saying that now -------   can you fit a saw-all between the shock bushing and the mounting ears ---  or  can you get a drill in there  , to drill the bolt on both sides far enough in to get the shock out the ears , then deal with the rest of the stuck bolt 

I was thinking about using saws-all today if all else fails, it will be close, not much clearance for stroke of blade, but might work.

I have new bolt, nut and bushing coming from RM ATV.

• Like 1

Even if you were to cut a blade width of the shock's rubber  bushing and the metal  end of the shock , you could shim it back tight with some washers ---- many times now I have cut the ends of shocks narrower to fit in between the mounting ears of different atvs 

Can you get at the bolt to heat it red hot, & let it set for a few minutes & then try to loosen it?

I gave in and used the Saws-All, problem solved!!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Shock bushing.jpg

• Like 2

Way to go !!!!    A pic of the shock bushing would be nice !!!!  

I posted a pic of it, I see it in my post, you dont?

Its standing on end by the screw driver handle.

I want to see the end of the shock , to see how it looks now that it is  off the swing arm 

Oh ok, I will get a pic to post.

• Like 1

@Fishfiles, here are the shock pics, one is of shock sitting in swing arm mount after removal.

Shock 1.jpg

Shock 2.jpg

Shock 3.jpg

Shock 4.jpg

• Like 1

You did really well , never put a scratch on the shock with the saw blade 

• Like 1

Bearings and seals were delivered this week along with order from RM ATV.

Transplant engine arrived yesterday.

I scored a real nice oem muffler that came in this week too, I had to pay $$ up for it but it is in excellent shape and good usable oem parts for this atc are mighty scarce!!

New swing arm bearings and swing arm installed back on frame.

Hoping to get the rest of bearings and seals replaced in rear end parts this weekend and get it rolling on rear wheels again.

Muffler.jpg

New engine 1.jpg

New engine 2.jpg

New engine 3.jpg

New engine 4.jpg

• Like 1

That muffler looks great ---- the engine is clean --- looks like you spent a bundle 

• Like 1

Did you get a new set of muffler bearings with it? 😆 j/k!

I envy you guys in the states with the access you have of a lot more 3 wheelers & parts 😕

• Like 1

@Fishfiles, Yes, the price you pay for correct restoration, OUCH!!

@ATC4ever, No muffler bearings included, they would have been extra, Ha !!

• Like 1