THH

1985 ATC250SX

I didnt get much accomplished last weekend but got rained/snowed out from work today and was able to make a little progress.

Finished up bearings and seals in the rear end, put everything back together and got it rolling again.

Transplant engine is now in the frame and partially bolted in.

progress 1.jpg

progress 2.jpg

progress 5.jpg

progress 3.jpg

progress 4.jpg

• Like 2

I just read this post and the first few replies. I must ask......how did you own this for thirty years and not know about all the problems?

1 hour ago, Misterclean said:

I just read this post and the first few replies. I must ask......how did you own this for thirty years and not know about all the problems?

I always knew it had less than desirable issues with the way the PO had cut corners to maintain it, but it always ran great regardless and I've had lots of fun with it over the years.

I'm having a great time restoring it and it will be done right when I'm through with it.

• Like 1

Today I put in the rest of the engines mounts, replaced the dry rotted front tire with a tire and wheel I had in stock, replaced the shock boots, changed the wiring harness with one I had in stock and that cleaned up all the connections behind the headlight, installed the rest of the electrical components and battery.

I didn't have spark after making all the connections and traced the problem to corrosion at the kill switch so I cleaned that up and now have spark.

progress 6.jpg

progress 7.jpg

progress 8.jpg

progress 9.jpg

progress 10.jpg

progress 11.jpg

progress 12.jpg

• Like 3

Put the the headlight, headlight guard and front fender on.

Put the brake cables back on and adjusted the brakes.

Cleaned the carb, put the shindy kit in it and installed carb on the engine.

Started getting the exhaust hooked up, I'll need to paint the exhaust header and heat shield with high heat paint to try and get it to look as good as the muffler.

Started cleaning the gas tank, it is metal and has a little bit of rusty scale in it.

What do you guys use to clean gas tanks?

progress 13.jpg

progress 14.jpg

progress 15.jpg

progress 17.jpg

• Like 2

I painted exhaust header and installed it with new gaskets.

Swapped out the rear tires and wheels with a pair I had in stock.

Zip tied a lawn mower fuel tank to the frame to use while I'm cleaning up the original fuel tank.

Engine fired up nice, I let it warm up and set the rpm's and tweaked the carb adjustment, sounds real good!!

Put the rear end up on jack stands and ran it through all gears, all good there!!

Installed the seat and took it around the field and trails behind my house, put about a mile and a half on it and all seems good.

I'm real happy with how it runs.

it runs 1.jpg

it runs 2.jpg

it runs 3.jpg

it runs 4.jpg

it runs 5.jpg

• Like 2

Got my fuel tank back from my cousin who does auto body and paint work this past weekend and I finished up the 250SX!!

Tank.jpg

Done 1.jpg

Done 2.jpg

Done 3.jpg

Done 4.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Tank looks awesome !!

Thanks, he sure did a great job on it.

It makes me want to buy new plastics for it now!!

• Like 1