Swampdonkey87

Converting 09 es bottom end over to 2014 foot shift DIY

Trying to find a forum that’s halfway active. Pics and details to follow.

here is basically what I’m doing:

paid $200 2009 es bottom end that is mint. Cheaper than replacing the crank in my 14fm

Using ‘14 foot shift rod, foot shift case covers(flywheel and clutch) using 14 flywheel and stator.  

write up and pics will be below.

C5793444-6E77-4E3B-B8EC-68A717E7811C.jpeg

6493E381-5B3F-44C5-86C8-2239A06911C9.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice project SwampDonkey , I'll be watching -------  my buddy converted his 350ES to foot shift , he had a parts bike so it was just swopping parts around 

• Like 1

Welcome aboard.  I recognize the username, but not sure from where.  Maybe Highlifter?

Anyhow stick around and take lots of pics during your project. Should be pretty straight forward, and glad to see you're swapping the stator and flywheel as I've seen that cause issues when swapping around 420 bottom ends

• Like 1

The 2009 es bottom end case boss that the manual shift rod slides thru has to be ground down to clearance the rod so flywheel side case will bolt down. 

here are some pics showing difference in flywheels. Just waiting on puller in the mail.

going to shave the flywheel key .060 for ~4 degrees timing advance. 500 top end and tb. Also welded up a custom exhaust. Going to get power commander and epi stall springs also. Also going to mill the head as far as I can.

ED95B0A0-E265-44B3-AFD2-B4C993850EB6.jpeg

C5CA35E1-A0F8-45BC-96FA-294D4E08CFD4.jpeg

4C5AA70F-994C-462C-9BA2-8E84AAC2706D.jpeg

4A72FB25-1697-4EEC-B2C1-313EBA57B010.jpeg

335DF693-14BB-4368-969E-419439D66318.jpeg

039FCA8B-D380-4E50-BBF0-F2ADE1FCAB9F.jpeg

Edited by Swampdonkey87
  • Like 2

Do the 520 top end.  It requires a little case grinding to fit, but now's the time to do it.  You can also order a bolt on 520 from Reduction Boss (they turn down the outside of the cylinder a hair so it will fit in stock cases)

The 500 (which is actually a 475) wasn't worth it.  I went that route with the wife's 420 and was really, really disappointed in the results.  Used with a Weisco programmer, kept the stock exhaust (which is the same as the factory 500 exhaust so I know it will breathe well enough).

With the 520 you're picking up a 100cc's.  The 475 you're only picking up 55. 

Cost is about the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Do the 520 top end.  It requires a little case grinding to fit, but now's the time to do it.  You can also order a bolt on 520 from Reduction Boss (they turn down the outside of the cylinder a hair so it will fit in stock cases)

The 500 (which is actually a 475) wasn't worth it.  I went that route with the wife's 420 and was really, really disappointed in the results.  Used with a Weisco programmer, kept the stock exhaust (which is the same as the factory 500 exhaust so I know it will breathe well enough).

With the 520 you're picking up a 100cc's.  The 475 you're only picking up 55. 

Cost is about the same.

cool, who has the best price on a 520 top end?

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

What gear reduction are you running?

I have 35% not sure of who it came from. Im debating not running it with deestones that measure right at 27” I’m thinking after all the performance mods the factory gear set with epi stall springs would be a good match. What are your opinions on that?

19 minutes ago, Swampdonkey87 said:

cool, who has the best price on a 520 top end?

if you don't mind grinding your case halves out a little, I'd look at either Honda East Toledo or Rocky Mountain ATV.  You're not scared to split cases are you? 

The Reduction Boss is plug and play, but were it me I'd grind the cases.  That way if you ever need to replace the whole jug your cases will readily take an off-the-shelf 520 jug from Honda.

1 hour ago, Swampdonkey87 said:

I have 35% not sure of who it came from. Im debating not running it with deestones that measure right at 27” I’m thinking after all the performance mods the factory gear set with epi stall springs would be a good match. What are your opinions on that?

35 will be tractor low with 27's.  I'd probably go back stock or get a 15% secondary.

I hate stall springs.  They get downright dangerous when trying to start on hills.  Only place for those is on a dedicated pit bike.  That's my opinion, and obviously a lot of people disagree or there wouldn't be a market for them.  LOL

1 hour ago, Swampdonkey87 said:

Man this $200 bottom end has yet to disappoint. It’s literally in perfect shape.

7D410EA1-5114-46DA-A039-43BA29FA3020.jpeg

FD20D8D4-6BA0-4B64-97E2-AB57CD8F4F8D.jpeg

C57E9069-8595-4CB9-AD73-ABEDB7D49556.jpeg

6FCAD306-4ED9-4AC9-98FF-792A1FF28A1E.jpeg

Looks like you definitely got a bargain there if the crank is good.   Inside looks great.  Low miles or has it been rebuilt and cleaned out?

Nice looking project. Look forward to following it.

My biggest take-away thus far is it appears as if you're rebuilding this engine on the kitchen counter. You must not be married :).

Good luck with the conversion.

• Haha 2

image.png

Is it just my eyes  , or is that timing chain rubbing a hole in the oil pump housing now , or maybe did it in the past 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

if you don't mind grinding your case halves out a little, I'd look at either Honda East Toledo or Rocky Mountain ATV.  You're not scared to split cases are you? 

The Reduction Boss is plug and play, but were it me I'd grind the cases.  That way if you ever need to replace the whole jug your cases will readily take an off-the-shelf 520 jug from Honda.

splitting this case as soon as the flywheel puller bolt gets here, the ol apply pressure to the back of the flywheel and tap bolt head with socket on it trick doesn’t seem to work on these. Going to clean the screen and inside crankcase. More pics coming. And yeah I don’t mind grinding the cases I have a  Fordom flex shaft grinder should do whatever needs to be clearanced.

2 hours ago, sled_22 said:

Nice looking project. Look forward to following it.

My biggest take-away thus far is it appears as if you're rebuilding this engine on the kitchen counter. You must not be married :).

Good luck with the conversion.

haha. It’s one of those folding white outdoor tables, she’s pretty easy to work with doesn’t give me too much !. Been married 10 years so far.

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

35 will be tractor low with 27's.  I'd probably go back stock or get a 15% secondary.

I hate stall springs.  They get downright dangerous when trying to start on hills.  Only place for those is on a dedicated pit bike.  That's my opinion, and obviously a lot of people disagree or there wouldn't be a market for them.  LOL

yeah that’s kind of what I was thinking I’m probably going to run the stock gears. And if I don’t like it I’ll throw the gr in. 

and good point on the stall. I like my fair share of trail riding, the economy stall may be a better choice.

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Looks like you definitely got a bargain there if the crank is good.   Inside looks great.  Low miles or has it been rebuilt and cleaned out?

came off a completely stock 2009, factory tires and all. I’m not completely sure on if it’s been into before but the gasket maker was nice and no slop job, looked factory. I know timing chain has been replaced.

Edited by Swampdonkey87

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

image.png

Is it just my eyes  , or is that timing chain rubbing a hole in the oil pump housing now , or maybe did it in the past 

good eye, yes looks like from a previous loose chain. 

I have  34.5 reduction and 29.5s on one 450 and 14.5 reduction and 27s on the other one , both of them spin real good , seems to me the  450s are geared low to start with --- I  see you running crush locks  and  they look a little short  ,  from no air I would guess , maybe 28s ? 

26 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I have  34.5 reduction and 29.5s on one 450 and 14.5 reduction and 27s on the other one , both of them spin real good , seems to me the  450s are geared low to start with --- I  see you running crush locks  and  they look a little short  ,  from no air I would guess , maybe 28s ? 

they are half wore 30” mayhems, they currently measure at 27”. They actually have air in them, I got the locks with valve stems. Well all except one it has a big gash in it.

Quick little pic dump, pressure washer and easy off oven cleaner is your friend here. More pics coming later. Header paint for covers and crankcase. Crank case is going to be a different color ain’t finished yet.

B92CF16F-F71E-437B-ABF0-F6DE227A2C7B.jpeg

68E1AAD9-776B-4302-B34F-8723FCC99399.jpeg

8ACC3F7A-4EDB-4416-A258-35F3B5E1305C.jpeg

A0A5460C-3023-4042-ABEA-1AD20D6FE8FC.jpeg

EAB4612A-1F66-4A12-B9EB-095B3899F372.jpeg

CDCA7214-ACD9-43B3-8FCE-65B60CDC6ED0.jpeg

DA0D187D-1A00-4984-A8D2-ABDA50932F7C.jpeg

6AF52B98-C8B4-495E-BE7C-291C222720B3.jpeg

Edited by Swampdonkey87
  • Like 1

Your case covers look great , but I think you made a mistake letting paint get on the internal  areas , I know powder coating didn't hold up on the inside of the engine , outside still holding tight , the case  screen was totally clogged with powder coating 

IMG_5958.JPG

• Like 1