Swampdonkey87

Converting 09 es bottom end over to 2014 foot shift DIY

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Your case covers look great , but I think you made a mistake letting paint get on the internal  areas , I know powder coating didn't hold up on the inside of the engine , outside still holding tight , the case  screen was totally clogged with powder coating 

IMG_5958.JPG

nice! I didn’t get it on the interior as far as I know? U talking about the electric shift opening? It’s blocked off to the inside.

16 hours ago, Swampdonkey87 said:

Jeep what side of case should I lay on the table when splitting? 

32979BAA-E250-4ADD-A24E-59E3BF8F2006.jpeg

Clutch side up.  If you do it right, the transmission will stay in place, which makes it easier to keep everything together and pull it out that way, so everything is in order. 

If you google "420 crank youtube" there is a good 4 part series showing a 420 torn all the way down.

Why did the 2009 get parted?  Rear diff blown?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Clutch side up.  If you do it right, the transmission will stay in place, which makes it easier to keep everything together and pull it out that way, so everything is in order. 

If you google "420 crank youtube" there is a good 4 part series showing a 420 torn all the way down.

it was rolled. Plastics were tore all to pieces. Frame def looked salvageable, I would have def rebuilt it. 

mans thanks I haven’t watched those yet but fourwheeler doctor as 2 awesome teardown and assembly videos very detailed but I had remember something about one side down towards table and trans would stay together like you said. He didn’t use that technique. Let me get to watching them. Thanks man.

2 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

it was rolled. Plastics were tore all to pieces. Frame def looked salvageable, I would have def rebuilt it. 

mans thanks I haven’t watched those yet but fourwheeler doctor as 2 awesome teardown and assembly videos very detailed but I had remember something about one side down towards table and trans would stay together like you said. He didn’t use that technique. Let me get to watching them. Thanks man.

If that 09 is still around, see if if it still has the front brakes.  I'm always looking for cheap 09-13 420 front brakes.

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

If that 09 is still around, see if if it still has the front brakes.  I'm always looking for cheap 09-13 420 front brakes.

k I will go check them out when I have time. 

here are the differences in 09 and 14 flywheels. 14 on left. Split the cases it was immaculate forgot to get pics tho. Sealed her back up.

8E9A9C7D-099A-400E-8D8F-EEDF9C28C06B.jpeg

2 hours ago, Swampdonkey87 said:

k I will go check them out when I have time. 

here are the differences in 09 and 14 flywheels. 14 on left. Split the cases it was immaculate forgot to get pics tho. Sealed her back up.

8E9A9C7D-099A-400E-8D8F-EEDF9C28C06B.jpeg

If you're gonna grind the cases gotta do that before you seal it up (assuming you want to do the 520 cylinder)

On 3/31/2021 at 6:33 PM, jeepwm69 said:

If you're gonna grind the cases gotta do that before you seal it up (assuming you want to do the 520 cylinder)

he said he would take $400 for rest of quad, it’s complete besides the engine I already got off of it. May snag it and part out. Will let you get the brakes if so. I’m in north Alabama. 

holding off on the 520 top end I’m trying to make the Easter ride they are having this weekend. Found a mint oem 420 top end for now.

bottom end is together.

had to grind another small portion of the case beside the boss where shift rod goes thru. See pic. 

everything is together and functioning correctly: 2009 crank and crankcase, 2014 foot shift rod, 2014 flywheel and stator, 2014 foot shift case covers. Hope this can help others, def opens up options when hunting a bottom end. They are compatible either way I could have made the foot shift bottom end a es if I had needed to.

red gasket maker is *The Right Stuff, just as good as Honda bond(ran out of Honda bond sealing crankcase. Cover gaskets are messy cause I had to pull each one back off....

everything functions correctly.

BB9312F0-39C7-4586-85D3-16E90D0197D3.jpeg

7D5B0529-07D7-4EA6-8905-A4874029BEB2.jpeg

5A36E3D7-00F7-4F18-8942-C905D5897490.jpeg

7DECAC36-6CA9-4E27-93F3-9910F1B4AD48.jpeg

59419E48-92F0-4AB1-8DA6-2B6E254E80D1.jpeg

34B1D6FF-ED9A-47E6-8EB1-FDB037229201.jpeg

75901180-F3CB-4A7C-B1E2-B40BE04F30E0.jpeg

A522BDCC-8381-468F-BD98-B82E202C4944.jpeg

D09DD886-89BA-4AEE-AA2A-D35E57E32929.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tim-ANC said:

Brah, make yerself an actual bench 😆

Waiting to get shop built lol working out of my kitchen at the moment. Scratched up my old lady’s deep freeze she wasn’t too happy about that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/30/2021 at 7:59 PM, Fishfiles said:

Your case covers look great , but I think you made a mistake letting paint get on the internal  areas , I know powder coating didn't hold up on the inside of the engine , outside still holding tight , the case  screen was totally clogged with powder coating 

IMG_5958.JPG

I was thinking the same thing. Glad it appears OP was on it. The color is nice though!

Good Luck!!

On 4/3/2021 at 10:22 PM, Swampdonkey87 said:

Any holy ! these valve springs are some of the stiffest I’ve came across.

I bought a super cheap spring compressor off amazon. Shade really approves of my china purchases...but it appeared to work fine. 

Looks like its not available but one for 23 bucks is. Suspect its same one in different case.

Amazon Spring Compressor

6 minutes ago, 87Iroc said:

I was thinking the same thing. Glad it appears OP was on it. The color is nice though!

Good Luck!!

Y’all lost me, where did I get anything on case insides?

5 minutes ago, 87Iroc said:

I bought a super cheap spring compressor off amazon. Shade really approves of my china purchases...but it appeared to work fine. 

Looks like its not available but one for 23 bucks is. Suspect its same one in different case.

Amazon Spring Compressor

I use Chinese tools, but car parts, saw parts, and quad and bike parts I only use oem stuff, like cylinders and pistons.

Just now, Swampdonkey87 said:

You're on it....My knee jerk was same as Fish's. I don't know that engine so it looked like it was on the inside. YOu say it isn't...and you know it better than I do. So saying 'you're on it.'.

Just now, Swampdonkey87 said:

I thought I seen paint inside the case where the shift motor bolts up and I think I read you said oil doesn't go there    but  I took a shift motor off a ES parts bike of mine  a while back for a member and there was oil in the cavity as there are bearings in there 

• Like 1

Just now, 87Iroc said:

You're on it....My knee jerk was same as Fish's. I don't know that engine so it looked like it was on the inside. YOu say it isn't...and you know it better than I do. So saying 'you're on it.'.

thank you sir, I take pride in rebuilding. Not a shop or anything just an Individual with a Honda addiction

23 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

image.png

This pic was what I was thinking  where oil went 

Where the electric shift goes??? It’s blocked off it’s a manual shift case??

yes , the shift motor cavity is what I was referring to ---- so you put a plate over where the shift motor mounted ?  can't the oil still get into that cavity thru that bottom hole on the right ? 

1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:

yes , the shift motor cavity is what I was referring to ---- so you put a plate over where the shift motor mounted ?  can't the oil still get into that cavity thru that bottom hole on the right ? 

it’s completely blocked off on a foot shift case

Looks good!  How does it run?

I've been off for a few days, just now checking back in.

12 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Looks good!  How does it run?

I've been off for a few days, just now checking back in.

Glad your back, I’ll let you know as soon as this top end gets here.

• Like 1