leolufse

Several issues, probably related somehow

Hey everybody.  I'm bringing back an 03 rancher ES back from the dead.  I've properly converted the eshift to manual when I had the motor apart for top end rebuild.  I also changed all the clutches.  So mechanically I'm ready to rock and roll.  But now that I have the harness installed and hooked up, I have several issues:

1. No spark.  New plug, but I have not replaced anything else.   I plan to so some testing on the various components (pulse generator, coil, cdi box, etc).  

2. Oil Temp light blinks.  It comes on with the ignition key and simply blinks on/off, on/off.  

3. N and R lights stay lit in every gear.  In actual R, the red light is bright, in other gears it is dim, but still on.  Same with N light.  in actual neutral the light is bright green, but is dim but lit in other gears.

4. Possibly related to 3.  The gear shift on the display sort of works.  I can get an R and an N and sometimes a 1, but usually I get a --- .  I'm hoping when the motor is running this will be back to normal.

For 3 and 4 I'll do the tests on the switches as defined in the manual.  But I'm pretty stumped on the blinking oil light.  Any thoughts there? 

Thanks in advance for any help.  

Before and current pic for fun:  

167319599_10220734010474964_2913060334224305607_n.jpg

159010739_10220613262376337_2036062598572044407_n.jpg

148919528_10220446377644323_479229639459584163_n.jpg

143844433_10220367684637047_8660172173626742370_n.jpg

You have an electrical issue for sure. 

My kid's former 350ES that is now a footshift does blink an error code on the gear indicator, but other than that everything works as it should. 

@Melatv and @retro are the resident electrical gremlin finders.  Perhaps they can tell you where to look first.

I will say that I have discovered that if your ECU cannot tell what gear your machine is in, you will not get spark, so once you figure out the issue, the others will likely be resolved as well.

First thing I think I'd be doing is making sure all of your grounds are clean and correctly installed.  Should be two on the back of the engine, and one on the right side of the frame.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

You have an electrical issue for sure. 

My kid's former 350ES that is now a footshift does blink an error code on the gear indicator, but other than that everything works as it should. 

@Melatv and @retro are the resident electrical gremlin finders.  Perhaps they can tell you where to look first.

I will say that I have discovered that if your ECU cannot tell what gear your machine is in, you will not get spark, so once you figure out the issue, the others will likely be resolved as well.

First thing I think I'd be doing is making sure all of your grounds are clean and correctly installed.  Should be two on the back of the engine, and one on the right side of the frame.

Update here. 

All grounds are good, as well as all fuses and such.  Battery is strong, and ignition, engine stop, meter switches and wiring all good.

The CDI box failed the tests as outlined in the FSM.  I believe this is the the reason for the oil light issue.  During that testing, I also discovered my fan motor is no good. 
From a display perspective, when I unplug the shift control computer completely, the N and R and gear indicator all work as designed.  I suspect that guy is no good. But it seems the N safety and gear selector switch are fine.    

Hopefully the CDI box replacement will fix the no spark issue. 

• Like 1

FWIW, I figured this out.  It was simply the main 30 amp fuse was good, but had corrosion on the terminals.  So things were not getting full power and acting weird.  After I cleaned, the fan, temp light, and the N and R lights working as expected.  Most importantly I have spark now as well.  Hopefully this will help someone.  The electronics in these guys are very sensitive to corrosion.  

• Like 2

That's a rough one. Glad you stuck with it and reported back.