Hi everyone,

So my 2015 420 has lost 4WD to the front wheels. Local ATV mechanic reckons its the splines at the engine end of the front shaft. 

I'm guessing the shaft needs replacing, along with the joint that it connects to engine block with? 

Also, anyone know the best place to order parts from... in the UK?

Cheers!

Robb

Haven't seen that happen on  420 -- especial a 2015 -- take better look at it.

• Like 2

So I put her up on sticks again and stripped the side off to get a closer look. To me it does seem to be worn splines, but perhaps there’s something I’m not taking into account? 

I uploaded a video showing the problem/inspection below, maybe a more experienced eye can confirm or shed some more light on the problem! 

cheers!

Hi: Is the lever connected to 4WD shift cable moving when you put it into 4WD? See red dot

4W.jpg

• Like 2

Hey, yes it moves with the lever. I did think it could be loose (it doesn’t move a great distance) so used some grips to twist it all the way but it didn’t make any difference...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vagabondrobb said:

Hey, yes it moves with the lever. I did think it could be loose (it doesn’t move a great distance) so used some grips to twist it all the way but it didn’t make any difference...

Hi: That propeller shaft that is not turning is push into the shaft joint on the engine (spring loaded) -- when you put it in 4WD -- the picture in the post with red has to move far enough to operate the clutch fork to push the propeller shaft towards the engine -- it could be out of adjustment or something bent out of place or the front final clutch has a problem 

• Like 3

So should I see the shaft physical shift back towards the engine? This doesn’t happen. But shifting the pushing the 4WD lever does turn the arm (where the red dot is)... 

Edited by Vagabondrobb

I don't know how that set engages 4wd for sure , from looking at the print , the arm with the red dot moves the dog to make  #8 and  #9 mate for 4wd , so I would say the drive shaft doesn't move much if at all when shifted and it is stripped at the collar  --- my 450 has that same collar and splines on the drive shaft , I have stripped it out before , front and back

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I don't know how that set engages 4wd for sure , from looking at the print , the arm with the red dot moves the dog to make  #8 and  #9 mate for 4wd , so I would say the drive shaft doesn't move much if at all when shifted and it is stripped at the collar  --- my 450 has that same collar and splines on the drive shaft , I have stripped it out before , front and back

Had another fiddle this morning and noticed that if 4WD is engaged then the shaft locks and will not turn (with the wheels are on the ground), but I can rotate it in 2WD. I guess this indicates that it is indeed the splines on the engine side that are stripped. Will bite the bullet and order a new shaft and joint...

Thankyou both for the help!

Robb

• Like 1

Take it apart first -- do you have a service manual?

• Like 3

Ok will do. I don’t have a service manual, can it be downloaded somewhere? ATV mechanic told me shaft can be removed by unbolting the diff and pulling it back a few inches. What could go wrong? 

• Like 1