sled_22

Cast iron cookware

11 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I inherited my grandfathers' house in New Orleans and lived there till after Katrina , there was a Chambers gas stove with brick lined oven , that my mother bought new in like 1956 , it was sweet , had a broiler on the side , a warming well, and a grill top on top the broiler cover ,  it was giving me trouble with a low flame , had it looked at and wound up selling it for $2,800 , people came all the way from Georgia to buy it , it took 6 of use to get it on the trailer ---- when I put the new stove in , it was still a low flame , my plumbing buddy helped me to change out the under ground gas line that was clogged up with yellow stuff , so the stove was not bad , but if i would have not sold it , it would have flooded , so it lives on somewhere 

I have a few Guardian pots , one oval with a glass top that was my  grandmother's , another oval with with a hammer aluminum ,  top that doubles as a serving plater when flipped ---Knight is a brand that is very similar , would guess a knock off 

image.png

i remember a stove very similar to that when i was young.

• Like 1

I’ve never heard of guardian or magnalite cook ware. I must be too young. I have seen it go cheap at auctions. I’ll have to look into it more next time I go. 

• Like 2

Hey @Fishfiles

do you have the tool used to grab the handles on that Guardian Service?  

those aluminum lids are pre-WWII

899D8AC3-5F9F-4317-97B9-F041430674E9.jpeg

• Like 1

That gizmo handle looks familiar , I know I don't have it any more , but think I did and had no clue what it was and threw it in a Good Will box of stuff 

• Sad 2

seems like with all these smart stoves, an non stick cookware, that sticks, learning how to cook with iron is the way to go.. it holds a more even temp, might even fool the thermostat, of a smart stove. I et a lot, off of a iron wood stove, more than once. bet that is a skill that is acquired.. no Teflon in that era..

😉  , just iron.. seems like biscuits, were cooked different, an taste better. no need to tell ya how bacon has changed.

for the first time in my life, i seen a green egg. not the egg shell, but the white was green. "Green eggs an ham", the white, was a light green, when it hit the skillet, then came the smell. i cant describe the smell, probably a draw with kitty litter, only more.. just a little got into, the pan, it was more than enough.

i washed it three times. it was hard to eat the other two eggs i had cooked. the memory was strong.

only, i could fart, like that, an have some control, when i let loose.. 😁 best beware, if i could learn the secret. not to brag, but once i cut loose once, an ran off the contractors of a project, an the crews, including my own. electricians, plumbers, carpenters, an mine, hvac.

i dont think my diet was right, or something.

fond memories...

Edited by LedFTed
just because
  • Haha 1

I agree Ted. With the cast iron stuff, not sure about the flatulence confession but i believe we've all been there. I stay away from burger king for that reason.

But to add to the non stick that sticks... over the weekend, i finally broke down and threw away all my shitty non-stick pans. I was lazy and didn't want to clean out the bacon grease yet from breakfast so i grabbed oen of the non-sticks to make a grilled cheese for one of my boys. Even loaded with butter the thing was a burning on the sides and needed to soak and scrubbed in the sink. I said to the wife, that it's, do you care if i throw all this crap away and only use cast other than sauce pans? So they went to the dump saturday morning. They were about 2 year old pans, expensive ones. And if you dared cook sausage gravy in one, you committed your entire afternoon to soaking, scrubbing, resoaking, praying, resoaking, pressure washing.... you get the idea.  I made sausage gravy in my wagner #8 sunday monring, Man that was good on fresh biscuits. To clean, i rinsed in the sink, quick wipe with the stainless steel scrub pad, rinse and wipe dry and it's as good as new. It takes me 1/4 the time to clean a cast iron pan as it did the non-stickers. And food just tastes better.

I was just boasting about some of my pans again Sunday night. I gave them a quick rinse and wipe, then thin layer of bacon grease everywhere, and wouldn't you believe it, i could see my reflection in the bottom of the pan.

I just about have another batch of pans ready for the smoker to be seasoned. These will be for sale though to cope the price of the better pans hiding under my stove right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I had to guess, like so many other things we have now, they came up with "better" replacements because cast iron never wears out, so you buy it once, and never buy again, and it can be handed down to the next generation.

Not good for those making pans......

But cheap pans that suck and you toss every few years?  Great for the companies making pans.

• Like 1

them non stick pans with coating , if you notice the coating comes off in specks over time , and it makes it into your food 

• Like 1

i dont think ya can bake cornbread, in a Teflon pan. whats life without cornbread, or bacon? the coating, dont wear off so fast with seasoned iron.

Edited by LedFTed

15 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

the coating, dont wear off so fast with seasoned iron.

'Ted , straighten me out , I thought there is no coating on cast iron , except if you want to call the seasoning of the pan by burning oil into it a coating ? 

I have a few cast iron pots and pans , can't use them in the kitchen as we have an electric stove with a porcelain /glass top and it scratches it up ----I do use my big cast iron frying pan out side on the propane burner when I fry a big bunch of fish or shrimp ----- corn bread is OK covered in butter , but it is like chewing sand and gritty , what's the secret to make it not gritty ? 

On 6/16/2021 at 4:40 AM, Fishfiles said:

'Ted , straighten me out , I thought there is no coating on cast iron , except if you want to call the seasoning of the pan by burning oil into it a coating ? 

I have a few cast iron pots and pans , can't use them in the kitchen as we have an electric stove with a porcelain /glass top and it scratches it up ----I do use my big cast iron frying pan out side on the propane burner when I fry a big bunch of fish or shrimp ----- corn bread is OK covered in butter , but it is like chewing sand and gritty , what's the secret to make it not gritty ? 

Buy good cornbread ground flour, or see a dentist. maybe ya need to soak the cornbread flour. as far as the coating with an iron skillet,, it has to be better than the one from DuPont. Non-stick, sticky cookware, that is absorbed, in your food. these new stoves, from china, IDK? oven doors with slots to let the heat out. guess that would be good in the winter. it aint always winter in the US. just lately, ya got to include the politics, if that aint a winter?

i cant warn about those glass top stoves, i dont like them, an old GE stove, electric, had 7 to 8 buttons, to control heat, that stove was easy to cook on. just aint the same.. glass tops, are pretty, if ya like that oven cooking. still, has wasted heat. Parts for a glass top ? just buy a new stove.

Edited by LedFTed

On 6/15/2021 at 6:43 AM, sled_22 said:

I agree Ted. With the cast iron stuff, not sure about the flatulence confession but i believe we've all been there. I stay away from burger king for that reason.

But to add to the non stick that sticks... over the weekend, i finally broke down and threw away all my shitty non-stick pans. I was lazy and didn't want to clean out the bacon grease yet from breakfast so i grabbed oen of the non-sticks to make a grilled cheese for one of my boys. Even loaded with butter the thing was a burning on the sides and needed to soak and scrubbed in the sink. I said to the wife, that it's, do you care if i throw all this crap away and only use cast other than sauce pans? So they went to the dump saturday morning. They were about 2 year old pans, expensive ones. And if you dared cook sausage gravy in one, you committed your entire afternoon to soaking, scrubbing, resoaking, praying, resoaking, pressure washing.... you get the idea.  I made sausage gravy in my wagner #8 sunday monring, Man that was good on fresh biscuits. To clean, i rinsed in the sink, quick wipe with the stainless steel scrub pad, rinse and wipe dry and it's as good as new. It takes me 1/4 the time to clean a cast iron pan as it did the non-stickers. And food just tastes better.

I was just boasting about some of my pans again Sunday night. I gave them a quick rinse and wipe, then thin layer of bacon grease everywhere, and wouldn't you believe it, i could see my reflection in the bottom of the pan.

I just about have another batch of pans ready for the smoker to be seasoned. These will be for sale though to cope the price of the better pans hiding under my stove right now.

those non-stick pans are never thick enough. for even cooking. i cooked pancakes in one once, it was no good after that. the pan, was to thin.

On 6/16/2021 at 3:40 AM, Fishfiles said:

You need a gas stove Fish!  You can't properly cook on one of those glass top things!  Those are to look pretty in a kitchen that never gets used!

• Like 3

On 4/5/2021 at 6:43 PM, 87Iroc said:

I have a Lodge Dutch Oven I bought several years ago(one with ring on top to do coals over campfire). Cook cobbler in in a couple times a year. We have a Wagner Skillet we inherited from my wife's grandparents too. Know nothing about it but we used it when we had gas stove. Smooth top electric it doesn't work with so it sits in our camping stuff til we come back to gas at the house.

Around here, used, rusty skillets at Antique malls go for 75+ bucks. I went to a garage sale one time and everything was up there. Friend bought like a 24" cast iron skillet for 5 bucks, all rusty, at a flea market and has used it religiiously since. I haven't been able to find those kind of deals unfortunately due to all the antiquer's out there trying to stock their booths at the malls.

smooth top electric stoves dont well with cooking..

On 6/18/2021 at 10:04 AM, jeepwm69 said:

You need a gas stove Fish!  You can't properly cook on one of those glass top things!  Those are to look pretty in a kitchen that never gets used!

Logde cast iron, comes per-seasoned anymore.. new..

2 hours ago, LedFTed said:

Logde cast iron, comes per-seasoned anymore.. new..

I have a couple of Lodge pans.

They make good stuff, but nothing is as good as the old Griswold and Wagner cast iron

6 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I have a couple of Lodge pans.

They make good stuff, but nothing is as good as the old Griswold and Wagner cast iron

Did you know lodge has been making pans far longer that one would think? Some of there pre 60s stuff (like any cast) is very desirable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sled_22 said:

Did you know lodge has been making pans far longer that one would think? Some of there pre 60s stuff (like any cast) is very desirable. 

Oh yeah. A flapper to smooth up a current Lodge skillet will bring it up to standard. I have a few skillets and a camp oven.