Jpsbgt

New Guy From Oregon

Hi all and happy Easter Sunday. I have a 89 TRX350D Forman with no spark. Hopefully I can learn from you all how to diagnose the problem..Jack 

Welcome Jack glad to have you. help is on the way.check back by in a little while🙂

Welcome Jack, Lots of great help available here.

First thing to do is check all connections in harness to make sure you have clean contact and make sure your ground connections are good and check your fuses.

If you have a multimeter and wiring diagram you can check for continuity throughout and battery voltage at your switches.

A shop manual is very helpful too, if you dont have one they are available on this site.

There are others here that will be able to walk you through testing of all components better than I but the items I mentioned would be a real good place to start.

If you come across a bad component dont buy the cheap china junk form e-bay or amazon, buy OEM parts.

• Like 1

Hey Jack welcome.  We have numerous members here that have the 350D Honda so I'm sure there will be lots of help.  I see @THH has already chimed in....

• Like 1

Hey Jack,  welcome, just got back from Oregon a couple weeks ago.  Took a week and spent some time on the coast. Some beautiful areas.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the kind words ! I finally got her running. One of the CDi connections was loose. If I can help in any way please let me know..Jack 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Jpsbgt said:

Thanks everyone for the kind words ! I finally got her running. One of the CDi connections was loose. If I can help in any way please let me know..Jack 

Glad it was a simple fix.  Stick around! 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jpsbgt said:

Good deal you got it going , so many get it fix and never leave a post that could help someone in the future ----   So what do you do with your atv ,  farm chores , hunting , playing in the mud ?  

• Like 2

Since I have had this atv it has stopped running three times, all related to the cdi not working. On the 89 TRX 350D the cdi is unique to the 88/89 models. It’s marked C1545. No other versions will work. You can find a aftermarket version from Regulator Rectifiers website. 

F06E79D9-D5D7-41D6-8D60-EA98DCD9924D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on tthe simple fix...... I agree with the fellas hang around...so many get their bikes fixed, and we never hear from them again. 

• Like 1

Yep , you have 350As ( AC )  and 350Ds ( DC ) , lots of differences between the two models -----  

Did you apply some dielectric grease in those connectors , it helps --- and sometime you need to bend the metal connector with a pick to make it get a tighter fit 

1 hour ago, Jpsbgt said:

Since I have had this atv it has stopped running three times, all related to the cdi not working. On the 89 TRX 350D the cdi is unique to the 88/89 models. It’s marked C1545. No other versions will work. You can find a aftermarket version from Regulator Rectifiers website. 

F06E79D9-D5D7-41D6-8D60-EA98DCD9924D.jpeg

Good to know!  For the old 350's we haven't had anyone come up with a decent aftermarket CDI.  Rick's makes a great aftermarket TRX300 CDI, but nothing for the 350's.

Of course, with the 350's there are three different CDI's/Electrical systems

86-87 350A

87 350D

88-up 350D

Obviously the 87 is the year you really have to watch as there are two different CDI's and they are not interchangeable!

Link added to the supplier you mentioned.  Have you used yours long? 

https://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/1988-1989-honda-trx350d-trx-350d-fourtrax-4x4-cdi-ignition-unit

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that information. I see no reason why Honda would make all those different boxes for the same basic bike. 

Just now, Jpsbgt said:

Thanks for posting that information. I see no reason why Honda would make all those different boxes for the same basic bike. 

They didn't really get into the 4wheeler market until 84-85, and the 350 was the first 4wd 4wheeler they made.  I'm sure they were tweaking and trying to improve upon the design.

The 88 era 350D was sold until 1993 in Canada and overseas.  Discontinued in 89 in the US.