Jpsbgt

89 TRX350D No Spark ?

Well it’s been a while but I have the dreaded no spark condition again. Was outside picking up yard debris from a bad windstorm when the foreman just died. I switched over to reserve thinking it ran out of fuel. Still no start. I will update my findings.

Swapped out the CDi for another original style one and she started right up. The aftermarket version I bought does nothing.

• Like 1

Check your battery voltage with it running.  I bought a 300 a couple of years ago that had a fried CDI.  Guy had taken it to the dealer, they replaced CDI and got it running again, but failed to realize that the regulator had croaked so the stator overcharging eventually killed the new CDI.

I put a new CDI on it, along with a used regulator, and it was fine after that.

I'd make sure it's not overcharging so you don't kill the new CDI.

Thanks for your suggestion ! I will check the voltage today. Any thoughts on a replacement cdi unit ?

Pretty sure used OEM is all that's available that will work.  Rick's makes a good alternative to OEM for the TRX300's, but to my knowledge, no one makes a good aftermarket CDI for the 86-89 350's.

The 88/89 version is different then 86/87 I believe ? The Foreman is such a workhorse I can’t believe no one sees the opportunity ?

16 hours ago, Jpsbgt said:

The 88/89 version is different then 86/87 I believe ? The Foreman is such a workhorse I can’t believe no one sees the opportunity ?

For CDI's you have 86-87 350A

87 350D (kind of the oddball)

88-up 350D

So yours would be the 88-up version, which is good because it's probably the easiest to find used.

And I wouldn't install an aftermarket regulator.  Used OEM are cheap and easy to find, and you know they were quality parts.

https://www.powersportsnation.com/honda-foreman-trx-350-d-88-regulator-31600-ha7-921-30800.html

• Like 1