ChrisM0505

98 Honda Foreman 400 S Brakes

New to maintenance on my recently purchased 98 Honda Foreman 400 S.

Need help tightening the hand parking brake cable line and rear foot peddle brakes as they don’t really work and can’t even hold the quad when parked on a slight incline.

If anyone could break down a step by step on how to or send me to another forum post it be greatly appreciated.

Can send photos of the quad if needed for reference.

Welcome to the forum

TRX400 Service Manual ----- section 13 and 14 , pictures are worth a thousand words 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_V22jl8QqzchU65hvxPjKNlOynW6VwkD

Sometimes there is no adjustment left and there is still some life left on the pads , or the cables are stretched out  , at that point  " I " will reindex the brake arm on the splined brake cam to give a little more 

If you ride in any water, even just crossing the creek, there is a chance there is moisture in them and they will not hold at all.

Thanks for the help and links so far. 

That being said, should I bleed my breaks and all should be restored for my hand break? Also, if my foot peddle break is getting on the soft side should I be looking at replacing the rear break shoes on the back wheel or is it something else? 

Rear wheel cable operated drum brake? If so, about as useful as wet toilet paper. Suggest you open it up and see how corroded and gummed up it is.

Does any one know if super ATV has the disc mod for this model?

5 hours ago, Tim-ANC said:

Rear wheel cable operated drum brake? If so, about as useful as wet toilet paper. Suggest you open it up and see how corroded and gummed up it is.

Does any one know if super ATV has the disc mod for this model?

Yes , dual cable rear brake , hand lever on left and foot pedal both work the rear brake 

Yes , Super ATV has a rear disc kit for the 400 , I have them on both my 450s , and one has been convert to hydraulic , works better hydraulic then cable  , but it was a lot of work and money to do it 

IMG_8216.JPG

• Like 2

Nice, the hydraulic rear disc is the way to go. Even the cable operated disc is a marked improvement over the drum and easier to do. I need to do this on my Ruby. Was going to this winter but other projects demanded my time.