PROV

Synthetic winch rope

Yesterday I made the leap to try synthetic rope on the winch on my Rubicon. My steel cable was trashed. Put on KFI rope and a KFI polymer roller fairlead which was recommended. Probably be awhile before I need to try it but I won't miss strands of steel poking through my gloves. 

• Like 4

Prov , I'll never use the synthetic again , I had quite a few problems with it , it  breaks easier than steel , it gets caught up in between wraps worst than steel and doesn't wrap worth a darn  , it will squeeze  in between the drum and side plate 

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback Fish. If I have that kind of trouble I will definitely switch back.

Similar to fishing reels, these winches aren’t always wound in under tension. Even steel cable will bite down into the spool but synthetic seems to bite down harder and deeper. Periodic rewinding the spool under tension is probably one way you can avoid this—like rewinding a fishing reel, you set your drag really high as you’re winding the line .

i hook my winch to the trailer, disengage the winch and unwind it by backing out in reverse. Then, with the quad in neutral and feathering the brake, i engage the winch and pull myself back in. It’s a one-person job if you have a remote, but if not you could have a partner sit aboard while you guide the cable

Edited by Goober
  • Like 5

I have syn on a couple of winches, mainly because it was already on them when I got them, and because the women said they wanted to keep it.  It is definitely safer, easier to handle, and easier to knot together if it breaks.  I don't think it holds up as well as steel, and I it degrades from UV light AND I'm guessing it will rot if kept wet for long periods of time, but of course, wire will rust if put up wet repeatedly.

I like wire.  I just feel like it can stand up to more abuse, for a longer time, without losing much. 

• Like 1

I put some junk Amazon synthetic on my 2,000# HF and so far so good.  It seldom get pulled out more than a few feet but those first few feet get worked very hard with the front bucket and snow plow.  The biggest advantage for me is that it isn't breaking strands like the steel does.  On the FE loader bucket the line goes through a 2" pulley at the bucket and that's where the steel fails.  Another advantage is the lack of memory in the synthetic.   Get a steel cable wedged between wraps and it looks like a road kill snake.

• Like 2

does it matter the thickness of the steel cable? i bought some aircraft cable, once, it was rated at 1,750., PSI.. it was neer a 1/16 inch thick.

Yes it matters based on winch and load size. I have a 2500# winch. It takes 3/16. Break strength with synthetic is 5000#. Break strength should always be twice the load for safety. 

• Like 3

I put a synthetic rope on my last winch and had binding issues were the rope would slip in between itself. Used it a few times and went back to the steel cable. It is safe though as I am not a fan of being poked with frayed wire. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, PROV said:

Yes it matters based on winch and load size. I have a 2500# winch. It takes 3/16. Break strength with synthetic is 5000#. Break strength should always be twice the load for safety. 

i was only half thinking, nothing new. do ya know if aircraft cable is stronger per width? [something i could look up myself, come to think about it], nevermind.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

"Ted  1/16th cable is for hanging clothes to dry on !!! 

1,700 psi it'll hold a lot of laundry.!!!

On 4/9/2021 at 9:18 PM, Fishfiles said:

"Ted  1/16th cable is for hanging clothes to dry on !!! 

I am rural and can't get DSL or cable internet but there is Fixed Wireless Internet available but it's line of sight.  I found a hole in the trees to the repeater base and mounted a small dish.  To get the CAT5 cable to the dish there's about 100' of 1/16" aircraft cable from the house to the dish supporting the CAT 5.

I was impressed with this stuff but boy would it make a mess on a winch.

Although having a trot line across the river and winching it in would be cool.😉

• Like 1