Farmboy

420 Honda Rancher

I am working o a 420 Honda rancher that worked last summer but now when i turn it over it just starts, have tried to spray into intake but did not fire up at all. would like some help here.

Farmboy , welcome to ATVHonda .... when you say " it just starts " , do you mean that it just spins over and doesn't fire up and run ? ----  To start with ----  Did you take out the spark plug and put it back into the plug holder / cap , ground the electrode against metal of the engine and spin it over to see if it is firing----  sometimes the plug will fowl out and a new plug is all that is needed ---- also what about the kill switch in the wrong position 

I had done that and it sparked really good so I put it back in. I tried a few other things but still did not work. So I took the spark plug back out and cleaned it up nice and closed the gap a bit don't really know what it should be gapped at if you do would like to know, but I put it back in there and it fired right up. Thanks for replying that quick.

What year is it? And see if the manual is available for download. Check in Service Manuals in the top menu bar.

Hmm, from what I understand the 420s began production in 2007. Can you post the VIN?

13 minutes ago, Farmboy said:

Its probably about a 2003

Negative, 420's were 07-up.  Might want to post a pic so we can see what we're dealing with.

I think I have it downloaded on my computer but will have to check again, I do know the place where you can do it for free. Thanks guys 

I would get another spark plug when you have a chance to have it around. It's possible the fuel pump relay also stuck and then started working while you was messing around with stuff. If my 420s sit for a lengh of time sometimes that what it is, the fuel pump relay. Just a little tap and good to go. You shouldn't have heard the fuel pump cycle though if it was that. The whine of the fuel pump gets drowned out by the noise of the IACV cycling so sometimes it gets overlooked thinking it was the one making the noise.

• Like 3

Should rear drum brake have oil in there would think not mine is totally full of oil

Spoiler

• Confused 1

That is due to bad rear diff seal for sure.

• Like 1

Is that oil or a mixture of grease and muddy water?

You have a seal where that brake cam comes through the backing plate, a seal where the backing plate bolts to the axle tube, the big oring pictured where the drum seals to the backing plate, and then a seal on the drum itself, which seals up against the hub. 

If your hub has grooves worn in it it won't keep water out of the drum, even with a new seal. 

• Like 1

I think it was mostly oil but the shaft was a little rusty. Ya the seal on the brake is out for sure and the bearing. Took the diff apart all the bearings are good and I think the seals were to but am going to replace the to I ordered everything.

• Like 1