CamKnouff

PGM-FI, No clue

I have a 2019 TRX500FM6 4x4 with power Steering.  The PGM-FI indicator is beginning to flash,  I have had this for less than a year, not a lot of miles on it, I doubt I have driven it 10 miles since getting it. Any suggestions for a fix?  The Owner's Manual  says load it up and take it to the dealer, (!) would probable cost more than I paid for it.  Thanks

Was not sure where to post, so tried here.

Is it flashing a particular sequence? 

Battery topped off and fully charged?

Just started, I did not notice any particular sequence, leaving soon for town to go get my Covid shot, I will put it on a charger and check again later.  Thanks, this is a start.  I usually putt around on one of my 350Ds, they just run and run only die when out of fuel.

Edited by CamKnouff

It might be an oxygen sensor DTC. I would replace the fuel in the tank with fresh gas and ride it for about an hour to insure that the motor reaches operating temp. Run it hard once the motor is up temp to get the exhaust system as hot as you can, which might clean the O2 sensor off. Then clear any stored DTCs.

• Like 2

I just got home, got the shot, it is charged up; paid attention to the sequence and it would appear to be 2 long then 3 short and repeating.  Just had an inch of snow last night ensuring the muddy transition period lasts as long as possible, I don't think I have ridden it an hour since I got it, didn't want to keep doing short runs then shutting off, the 350Ds I thought were a much better choice for this.  I wouldn't enjoy a long trip with them as much as I did one time (LOL) thus TRX500, which a friend sold me, said I needed it.  It will be at least 3 weeks before I would be ridding long enough to warm it up.   It is now that transition period, "Quad or Snowmobile".  I am not like some, I avoid the mud.

Hi: That would be the O2 sensor (code 23) -- sensor is located on the muffler

O2.jpg

Edited by Melatv
  • Like 4

Thats code 23 o2 sensor, I have a 17 rubi, I run only hi test in it ethanol free, and I dont do short runs with it as I know this is a common issue with these bikes, if I do short runs its  usually after it is warmed up or I leave it idle, I've got over 5k on the bike now and over 400 hrs, so far how I've been doing it I have yet to have a problem. I did see that there is a company that sells an O2 delete kit now, but I've not heard any good or bad about it yet. Replacing the sensor will take the code away, not sure if you can run it hard enough to burn it all off the stuff causing the error, but I know I can get a good run in right now with the melting trails here....

• Like 3

Thanks Folks, I will start pricing one out.  The previous owner did a lot of short trips, lower speeds, and should of had an automatic, actually to him it was, I think it was 3rd, other than a complete stop upward on a hill. lol

Been putting it off, about time to get a service manual.

• Like 1

I had a 16, think there were some problems with the sensor, but should be cleared up with yours. There is a way to test it with a meter.

I do have a meter. lol. just doing a price check.  

SENSOR, OXYGEN (NGK)
36531-HR3-A21 
$64.87
$63.35

Now this would be about  $80. $ in Can. dollars, then shipping, taxes etc.  I doubt that Honda makes their own sensors, but I could be wrong.  When needing a relay for a Ski-doo a while ago, high price from Ski-doo, but ended up with the same relay from NAPA for a third of the price.  Does this also apply to some Honda electronic parts?  Not that I am cheap- just wait I am; following a great American philosopher  "What you don't spend, you don't need to earn"

Snow again this morning.

I actually bypassed it by taking a cold reading & then putting a resistor in that matched that, so the ECU would think its always running cold, giving me a richer mix. It had a little more noticeable power.. But not neck snapping.... Anyway... way cheaper than buying a new one or a kit. Ran it for 2 years before selling it.

That delete kit looks simple, not too worried about spending a few dollars on it, as I don't have much into it.  I am hoping it can be a keeper, the 350,s still running after 30 years, so thinking this one should outlast me. lol

• Like 1

So to follow up, I went to the local Honda dealership to maybe pick one up and just replace it, get it done.  Price before tax $96.00 Can.  Guess that's what BC (British Columbia) means "Bring Cash".  lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2