LedFTed

tap & die

was at another atv forum, most times i cant find anything there. dates arent linear.  just looking for good tap set, an hopefully not to expensive. dont want to pay for china krap.

I will tell you bud. I have an old chraftsman standard set. A pittsburgh metric set from harbor freight. And my buddy has a snap-on set in his tool box in my garage i can use anytime. If you picked a few pieces out of each set and switched them around there is no way you could ever tell. They are all 100% identical. And unless your using them everyday all day long the chances of you breaking one or having any problems is slim to none. 2 if them have a lifetime guarantee on them. The chraftsman kit is atleast 30 years old. None of them have a broken piece anywhere in them.

• Like 2

I believe there is a big difference  between quality and cheap taps and dies When you snap off  a cheapie tap in a blind hole is when you realize you should have been buying better quality . But then it is too late.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I believe there is a big difference  between quality and cheap taps and dies When you snap off  a cheapie tap in a blind hole is when you realize you should have been buying better quality . But then it is too late.  

I guess i just know when to back out the tap to clear the shavings? I have never in my life come even close to breaking a tap off in a hole? If the tool is used correctly it should take almost no force to tap any hole. And by correctly i mean use the size drill bit that is stamped on the tap itself. Anyone using the wrong size drill bit cant blame the tool for breaking. Honestly the machinist drill bit set is more important than the tap and die set. IMO

• Like 2

Drill bits are a good example of cheaper materials , titanium and high speed steel will drill a hole , but when you are serious about drilling , a cobalt or carbide bit will out perform the cheaper stuff 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Drill bits are a good example of cheaper materials , titanium and high speed steel will drill a hole , but when you are serious about drilling , a cobalt or carbide bit will out perform the cheaper stuff 

I agree 100% about the drill bits. I have a good machinist set

I have an old harbor freight set my paretns gave me years ago...but believe me. ON the small stuff like a M6 or a 1/4"...I think long and hard about what I stick them in. 🙂 Until my rock slider project...I don't do much new cutting of threads. Just clean up..so that really helps to not show the downside to the cheap set I have.

I have found that Bauer bits from Harbor Freight do very well. Have a set. Also bought a singular cobalt one from Home Depot to drill out front skid bolt on 450. It was awesome(other than I drilled too large a hole...DOH!).  This guy does reviews on different types of bits along with a lot of other stuff(Step bits I watched his review on before purchasing as well). I do wonder if the 20 dollar bauer set I have holds up as long as the higher end ones that are comparable in his test. The bauer set has cut and come back for more...never had one I didn't abuse go dull yet with limited use) This guy is very regimented in his approach.

I also experimented with step bits on a rock slider project I did to drill 3/4" holes. Was surprised how well they worked. I'd drill a pilot hole and then they cut like butter. at least until my drill speed didn't match up with what a hole of that size wanted. About 1/2-5/8" it got a bit testy.

Edited by 87Iroc
  • Like 2

I tend the screw up drill bits pretty often.  I'm guessing I'm drilling too fast for the material involved.  They last a lot longer if you use cutting oil when drilling steel.

Now that I have a drill press set on the lowest speed, my bits are lasting a lot longer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

ever use spit for cutting with a drill bit? 🙂

I tried but burn my tongue.   What am I doing wrong?😉

• Haha 4

On 4/12/2021 at 1:38 PM, LedFTed said:

ever use spit for cutting with a drill bit? 🙂

if ya aint tried it. it works better that ya think it would. i just used it on hand drills.

10 hours ago, LedFTed said:

if ya aint tried it. it works better that ya think it would. i just used it on hand drills.

Spit on your bit to work your hand drill better , eh ! ----  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Spit on your bit to work your hand drill better , eh ! ----  

Kinda,, i spit on the place i was drilling. ya ever done that??

it do make the drilling easier.

Edited by LedFTed