GeorgeT

2001 Honda Foreman 500

35 minutes ago, GeorgeT said:

I was riding it today and as long as I ride it slow the shifter works still no MPH showing but as Soon as I get on it hard it's starts flashing and I have to stop and cut it off to get the shifter display to show up again. This is something that I noticed today. most of the time I am riding the fields and I am getting on it good but I was just putting around it today and it never acted up.

Thanks for additional info! It sounds to me like the charging system is producing unregulated, much higher than normal voltage. Don't run the snot out of it again... else the charging voltage may exceed 16.5 volts and fry electronic modules. I've seen that happen more than once.

Lets get back to identifying that orphaned wire.

Ok the orphaned wire is a Yellow and green strip wire. it goes to the oil thermosensor and the plug is broke off the wire. I got under it this morning and looked and sure enough that wire is just long enough to reach the oil thermosensor  and the wire for it is gone so I take it this must be where it goes.  Now I got to find a plug to go back on it. I don't think this would have any thing to do with my Speedometer not working. But ya never know. 

Right, the Yellow/Green wire belongs on the oil temp sensor. That wire cannot effect the speed sensor or Hondamatic operation.

hondamatic-circuits.png

Man the more I do the more I find. Ok I went to the shop and tried to start the bike today. Well the dang battery is dead. (HMMM now what). Ok so I charged the battery on a 2amp charger. took about 10 mins for it charge up. Weird seem to fast for 2 amp. Anyways Put the battery back in started the bike. Shut it down pulled the ground off the battery tested for a draw. None not even a small amount. So I am messing around in the shop and after about 30 mins I tried to start it again. No luck battery weak. put a volt meter on the battery hit the starter I got 6 volts at the battery. Ok now I am thinking bad battery. But just to be sure I charged the battery again. once again it charged up in like 10 mins. started the bike up. put my volt meter on the battery with it running and it's showing 14.6 volts rev the bike up and the volts drop to 13.5 let it go back to idle volts go back to 14.5-14.6. So now I am thinking dang I just put a regulator on this bike when I got it. And it's a Honda regulator no china junk. But what is getting me is why the high voltage at Idle and lower under higher RPM's. Now I have the battery out fully charged and setting on the work bench so I can test the volts on it tomorrow after work. Just to see if the battery is loosing power on it's own. Any info you are willing to throw my way will be a big help.with this.  

Well, it sounds like your battery has gone bad for sure. It has lost it's capacity and may have a shorted cell or two.

Also your charging system is underperforming. At idle speed it appears to be fine, but when you rev the motor the output voltage drops.

The first step, replace the battery then clean & dielectric grease the regulator/rectifier connector plug. Clean and tighten all frame ground cables and bolts (poor grounds may be killing regulators). Then measure charging system output voltage again. If the charging system still drops off while revving the motor the Regulator is probably bad.

• Like 2

I have had a few batteries (cheapies) that have done what you're describing.  Will show 12 volts and even hold it for awhile but any kind of load they just don't hold up.

First thing to do is get a new battery.  Yuasa are the factory Honda batteries, and are about $70 at Rocky Mountain ATV.  Free shipping over $75, so get an air filter or a couple of spark plugs or other little bits to hit the free shipping mark.

I took the battery back to Advance auto where I got it. they load tested the battery and and shows good. but it did say to charge it and retest. So they are going to charge it and test it again and see what happens then. I will let ya know what I find out, Battery is only 3 weeks old so they are going to give me a battery if it's bad. 

Now the voltage reg is three weeks old too. Will Honda replace it if it's bad ?????? 

4 minutes ago, GeorgeT said:

Now the voltage reg is three weeks old too. Will Honda replace it if it's bad ?????? 

I doubt it... but if it proves to be bad then you got a chance.

Hey here is todays update on what I did and checked. I tested the ground on the regulator plug. Its good. I tested the A/c voltage on the three yellow wires at the Regulator plug I have 10.8 volts on all three of the yellow wires with the bike at Idle. Now once you rev the engine up volts go up to around 25-30 v A/C per wire. I tested and made sure the yellow wires at the stator plug was not going to ground. All three tested good. One more thing I did tonight I checked volts on the battery with the bike running. It's showing 14.7 14.8 if you rev the bike it shows 14.2 if I turn on the lights the volts go to 13.5 to 13.7 this is still rev up. So with all this done. I full charged the battery one more time. Started the bike just fine turned it off and started it again. turned it off hit the starter and it would not spin over fast enough to start. battery voltage is now at 6-7 volts. I am thinking Advance don't know what they are doing but they said the battery is good. The guy there said they charged it for one hour and retested it and it show good. This is a 200 amp battery one of there Die hard gold line battery's I think it has died hard for sure. 

Anyways I got the battery on a 2 amp charge I am going to take it to work with me in the morning and test it with our tester and see what the CCA  and volts is on it after the test. 

One more thing. should the Voltage regulator be getting hot when the bike is running. I am thinking yes but not sure. Let me know. 

I agree that battery is bad. Yup, the voltage regulator should get warm while the motor is running.

Ok I took the battery to work and tested it. Bad battery. 102 CCA on a 200 CCA battery. So i took it back to Advance and talked to the manger of the store and he replaced the battery. I am picking up the Speed sensor from the local Honda shop in the morning so I  will know if that fixes my No speedometer reading. And if it does then the old bike gets a new set of tires next week. 

• Like 2

Update. Bike is fixed. The speed sensor did the trick. And I want to say a Big Thanks to Retro for all his help with this. With out him I would have been throwing money up in the air trying to fix this shifting trouble. Once again Retro you are the man. 

• Like 5

Hey thanks, you did all of the work though! Great job! Now lets see a pic or two of those new tires on your Rubi. 🙂

• Like 1

I will as soon as I get them mounted on it. I will take some pic's of the mountains when we go up there one weekend. 

• Like 1

Hello, 

Having a somewhat similar issue but the display will just not work at all. Would like to get it to work so I can check for codes, have a limiter when in reverse. I noticed previously retro stated to check for power at the speed sensor. I have no power at the speed sensor plug but have continuity from the speedometer and speed sensor plug. Have tried another used speedometer which did no fix the issue. Anyone have any ideas?