Tatara

2012 TRX420FE not turning over, runs intermittently

HI all, I've been helping my father-in-law try and figure out whats going on with his Rancher.

First off some background. The plastic on the combination meter broke and has been exposed to water so the meter is dead. The electronic shift quit working last season but we have it adjusted manually for now. Will be replacing the meter for sure and the shift switch if i cant diagnose it out.

He went to move it yesterday and it cranked and ran for about 5 seconds and died. When I started helping the solenoid wasnt clicking and the starter not trying to turn over. We messed with it for a couple hours, bridging the solenoid to try and force it to crank and nothing. as i was still messing with it i just gave it a try and it cranked right up using the start switch. Ran for about 5 minutes and died. So this morning we started going through the full diagnostics. Turn the key to on and not hearing the fuel pump trying to prime. Go to the 8pin relay its functioning correctly. check the engine stop switch, it seems to be fine. Check for power at the pump not getting any voltage. check for continuity between the relay connector and the fuel pump connector. Have continuity. Checked continuity on the ground leg to engine chassis and good. checked voltage on a4 pin of 33 pin connector to engine chassis. no voltage. Checked continuity for start switch and engine stop switch at connector behind radiator and all good so im kinda lost at this point unless its the bank sensor.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

i realize now that this is the wrong section as the rancher is a utility atv. My apologies i wasnt clear on the distinction. If it could be moved that would be grand

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums! Seems someone beat me to moving your thread to the proper section. Im sure someone will be along to help you shortly. Im a sport quad guy so my utility quad knowledge is limited.

Welcome to ATVHonda , I moved the thread  from Sport to Utility ... 

P.S. ----   and the wife called me with dinner on the table and forgot to hit submit to the above message 

• Like 1

Hi: Big Welcome Here -- try this -- place a jumper wire from the Bl/R wire on the ign. coil ( leave the push on connector on the coil just shove the jumper wire in along side of the Bl/R wire ) -- touch the other end of the jumper wire on the positive of the battery . -- turn key on and try starting the bike ---- make sure the battery is fully charged.

• Like 3

That did it. So the list of parts we need is the bank angle sensor, shift motor and combo meter. Made a jumper just to let it run for a bit

6 hours ago, Tatara said:

That did it. So the list of parts we need is the bank angle sensor, shift motor and combo meter. Made a jumper just to let it run for a bit

Hi: Before you jump for parts -- what is the voltage on the Bl/R wire of the ign. coil when you turn the key on? ---- you also have a bad stop engine relay or a bad ign. switch. I have found and replaced two bad ign. switches so far on TRX420's 

Edited by Melatv
  • Like 2

ran a jumper from the battery to ignition coil and fuel pump came on when needed and cranked right up. tested voltage. no more than .15 volt drop. relay has been tested and functional, ignition switch seems functional too

Hi: Problem could be the Ign. switch -- I found the Ign. switch had a high resistance of 600 ohms.

• Like 1