56Sierra

Need a rev limiter for the Trx300fw.

These bikes really do well in the midrange RPM but trying to explain that to an 14 yr old Grandkid that loves speed is not possible. 

I've seen tachs for these on ebay and Amazon but really want something to allow me to set the max RPM before the rev limiter kicks in.

Anyone heard of such a thing?

In the interim I did this.  Limit the throttle.   Kids gonna learn not to mess with the Old Man😳

20210425_175706.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

That limit bolt looks pretty good ------ looks like in the pic there is 0 throttle movement 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

These bikes really do well in the midrange RPM but trying to explain that to an 14 yr old Grandkid that loves speed is not possible. 

I've seen tachs for these on ebay and Amazon but really want something to allow me to set the max RPM before the rev limiter kicks in.

Anyone heard of such a thing?

I went the opposite way that you want to go , the stock 2nd and 3rd 300 CDIs have a built in rev limiter , they limit out at 6,000 rpms , I replaced the CDIs with Rick's which is no limit , they will turn up right over 7,000 rpms 

Seems the way you done it with the bolt threaded thru the side of the throttle assembly is as good as you could do 

If you are interested in knowing how many rpm it can turn  , a Tiny Tack is cheap and works 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I went the opposite way that you want to go , the stock 2nd and 3rd 300 CDIs have a built in rev limiter , they limit out at 6,000 rpms , I replaced the CDIs with Rick's which is no limit , they will turn up right over 7,000 rpms 

Seems the way you done it with the bolt threaded thru the side of the throttle assembly is as good as you could do 

If you are interested in knowing how many rpm it can turn  , a Tiny Tack is cheap and works 

I got a genuine Ricks for the Wife's '95 and was told by a tech there it bumped it up a grand. To be assured of getting the genuine unit I tried to order directly from Ricks  but they were out of stock.  They told me the vendor that sold their units so I took their advice and bought one.  She's almost as bad as the kids when it comes to going fast😳

Yeah, I think the throttle limiter will suffice for now.  I'm going to talk to an electronic genius buddy and see if he can design one that goes inline with the + wire to the coil.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 56Sierra said:

I got a genuine Ricks for the Wife's '95 and was told by a tech there it bumped it up a grand. To be assured of getting the genuine unit I tried to order directly from Ricks  but they were out of stock.  They told me the vendor that sold their units so I took their advice and bought one.  She's almost as bad as the kids when it comes to going fast😳

Yeah, I think the throttle limiter will suffice for now.  I'm going to talk to an electronic genius buddy and see if he can design one that goes inline with the + wire to the coil.  

My wife's 300 is a 96 frame with a 90 engine , the first gens didn't have rev limiters , her bike screams and she isn't afraid to make it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only issue with the screw limiter is if your climbing a steep hill or or in a bad bind you can't get enough throttle even with lower rpms. In the past over in the UK they had limiters on them to make them street legal (farm use if I remember correctly). I bet if you called Ricks they would have an idea or could make something so it kills ignition through the CDI instead of restricting throttle. On the trx90 they used a gasket to restrict the intake port to limit them.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2021 at 2:27 PM, toodeep said:

The only issue with the screw limiter is if your climbing a steep hill or or in a bad bind you can't get enough throttle even with lower rpms. In the past over in the UK they had limiters on them to make them street legal (farm use if I remember correctly). I bet if you called Ricks they would have an idea or could make something so it kills ignition through the CDI instead of restricting throttle. On the trx90 they used a gasket to restrict the intake port to limit them.

I tested it and there's enough throttle to climb any hill here with me on it.  After adjusting it of course. 

• Like 1

i like the mod, myself, simple yet effective, and adjustable, but there is a chance when he gets older he will figure out what you've done to limit the bikes rpm, just keep that in mind ;) my pop did stuff like on a few of my toys, and i could always work my way around his mods, he was never happy when he learned i reversed / deleted them, lol,  be sure to let us know what your friend comes up with. 

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i like the mod, myself, simple yet effective, and adjustable, but there is a chance when he gets older he will figure out what you've done to limit the bikes rpm, just keep that in mind 😉 my pop did stuff like on a few of my toys, and i could always work my way around his mods, he was never happy when he learned i reversed / deleted them, lol,  be sure to let us know what your friend comes up with. 

My youngest son's first car was a 1987 Saab SPG. Included with the car was a Bently shop manual.   I found out that is the brakes were applied the turbo would only put out basic boost.  While he was in school before getting is license O would drive the car, full boost looking for the kids with their fart can exhausts and just freakin blow their doors off.  As soon as word got out to not mess with that mean looking black Saab, I disconnected one connection on the radiator support and stuffed one half of the harness to hide it.  That fooled the system into using basic boost only.

One time when working on the car the kid spotted the loose connector and asked what it was.  I simply said it wasn't used on this car.😉🤣

He sold the car after a few years never getting the full enjoyment of the power that car could produce. 

I never did talk to my friend about my idea.   He suffered a pretty bad heart attack and is still recovering. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1