freebo86

Name this part! FCU?

So I got my hands on this electrical connector that's off a 300 that had a fan, do not know the year - the module looks very similar to the FCU. The reason I grabbed is was because on my 450, the fan controller works intermittently. The oil light would flicker sometimes when I turn the key. If I bake it in the oven for a while it would would fix it it for the time being. The fan still works and would come, just i could tell the controller would act up now and then.

This connector which looks very similar to the fan controller on the 450 but smaller. The two green connection on this are reversed from what the Fan Controller that's on my 450. Can someone enlighten me, will this work on the 450? I do not want to just plug it and in cross my fingers lol.

Back stamped:
Shindengen
2 pin connector labeled:
HC4
TL-29A

image.png

Photo of said machine.

image.png

fan controller  for  a 300 --  it has a different part number than a 450 , and shows as no longer available for the 300 ---- the fan controller for a 450 fits 98-2004 ES or FM /S , sells for $185 and is still available , if they will interchange I don't know ---   guess a melt down / burn out would be the worst that  could happen if you plugged it in and it didn't work 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

fan controller  for  a 300 --  it has a different part number than a 450 , and shows as no longer available for the 300 ---- the fan controller for a 450 fits 98-2004 ES or FM /S , sells for $185 and is still available , if they will interchange I don't know ---   guess a melt down / burn out would be the worst that  could happen if you plugged it in and it didn't work 

You say meltdown? Lol.. Machine or Controller Unit? Or both?

3 hours ago, freebo86 said:

You say meltdown? Lol.. Machine or Controller Unit? Or both?

If you smell something burning , unplug it quick , LOL 

I have successfully swapped the TRX300FW -2B and TRX400/450S -2D FCU. I used to run the TRX300A FCU (like you have) in my TRX300FW until i found a NOS Omron -2B from Double Deuce.

I don’t know why the two FCU are different sizes except one is Shindengen and the other more common is Omron. And the connectors are backwards. It will likely function. Would suck if it didn’t 

Edited by Goober

I dont want to just plug this in and hope for the best lol.

No other way of testing or confirming?

Is that a 2nd or 3rd gen CDI?  I know the 350 Ranchers use the same CDI as the 98-00 300's, and the 350 Rancher units have fan plugs on them. 

10 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Is that a 2nd or 3rd gen CDI?  I know the 350 Ranchers use the same CDI as the 98-00 300's, and the 350 Rancher units have fan plugs on them. 

Dont think this a CDI?

Edited by freebo86

Ah, FCU...fan control unit....

On the 350 Ranchers the CDI has the fan control unit built in.  I thought it was a typo as some people refer to the CDI as an ECU.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, freebo86 said:

Anyone know if the FCU from a 350 would work? 

jeep said , the fan control is built into the cdi  on the late model 350s --- I just looked at the fan module for the 350A+D  , it has a pigtail coming off of it and has no plug connector on the module itself 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

jeep said , the fan control is built into the cdi  on the late model 350s --- I just looked at the fan module for the 350A+D  , it has a pigtail coming off of it and has no plug connector on the module itself 

10-4 missed his response! 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

350 Ranchers, the Fourtrax/Foreman 350 has a separate alarm unit. I can't help with if any will interchange or not and still function properly.  On most of the older machines when it goes bad, most of them get a toggle switch and are manually controlled.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 12:16 PM, Fishfiles said:

the fan controller for a 450 fits 98-2004 ES or FM /S , sells for $185 and is still available , if they will interchange I don't know ---

I have a TRX300FW with the optional fan kit; it came with Omron pn G8D-21H-2B. The TRX400/TRX450 FCU Omron G8D-21H-2D will interchange and looks identical except the Omron part numbers.

750FDB20-2F8E-4F43-BA10-C79AC24C296D.jpeg

0CAF2896-FCED-4A91-A174-B944E39BE582.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

Well PowerSportsNation had two different fan controllers for a 300 a couple of weeks back , I am on their mailing list and seen them when they came on line , they were really cheap also , if i remember right I am thinking $25 -----

\

another way to handle the problem is a automotive fan controller from JEGS , I think I paid about $50 for the one on my red 95 300 , it is dual fan control  and is settable for on and off independently of the two fans , it says to keep it out of direct water , so I mounted it inside of a water proof Pelican style case , there is a probe that slides  in between the fins of the cooler ---- I am going to be running two fans on that 300 , need to finish that project 

Oh , that automotive fan controller does come in a single fan unit also 

• Like 1

When shopping for a replacement FCU i saw several of those smaller FCU Freeboi has touted as TRX300A (2wd) FCU. Don’t know how sellers knew that, but I bought one.

It worked but I cannot remember why I didn’t like it—except that the leads are backwards. From what I remember the real FCU has the 2P connector inboard. The other has the 2P outboard so you have to twist the harnesses upside down to connect.

you guys are gonna make me dig it out aren’t you?

• Like 3

To wire the fan to a switch is always an option just I’m trying to avoid any extra wiring or fusing lol. 

14 hours ago, freebo86 said:

To wire the fan to a switch is always an option just I’m trying to avoid any extra wiring or fusing lol. 

Where’s the picture of the FCU you purchased? That parts machine is a 4x4. The picture above is my FCU. Maybe you bought the -2B without realizing it

Here is the ones I got. It was a 4x4 machine with a fan it came out of. Not sure what the red connector module is for.

22321C92-FCB3-498E-87B9-E656F9F51C6B.jpeg
5E608849-BE83-46B0-A3E9-8EC50DB8F3C4.jpeg

DA287EE0-F812-40EC-9AC4-C9C6126CF9E9.jpeg

4818B829-A12C-46AC-8B96-222869CEE4F7.jpeg

BD8913EF-2320-4691-A72C-3DC4F6ACDBAB.jpeg

A9EF80AC-F030-4E75-9827-9C032A7D6B7C.jpeg

B945C4FE-3831-4C6C-9954-A4B1B8227177.jpeg

79906820-CB77-4A9F-A216-A808FFEF5CE1.jpeg

Ok yup that’s the same one i have 
Back stamped Shindengen
2 pin connector labeled HC4 TL-29A

2P outboard on edge

4P inboard centered

it works on my TRX300FW fan kit; Should work on your 450. But it’s not the prescribed part. i still have mine in a TRX300 parts box.

I could dig it out and try it on my 450. 

that red connector module is probably a fuel control relay for a 86-89 TRX350. Probably doesn’t fit the parts quad or yours. One of the members here might be interested in that. I would be also, but i have a spare.

• Like 1

Any luck swapping out and testing?

My unit is kaput. Light don’t come on anymore. Will try to bake in oven and see if I can revive this thing. 

I stumbled on this on fleebay for a fraction of the cost. 
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/272495703999

Amazon has some too but more money. 

13 hours ago, freebo86 said:

Any luck swapping out and testing?

My unit is kaput. Light don’t come on anymore. Will try to bake in oven and see if I can revive this thing. 

I stumbled on this on fleebay for a fraction of the cost. 
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/272495703999

Amazon has some too but more money. 

I wouldn't buy that.  China junk.

Check these out.  PSN at least will stand behind their parts, and they only sell OEM stuff.

https://www.powersportsnation.com/saas/pliable/searchresult/?search=honda fan control

Ah, I skimmed the text and looked at the picture of the 300. 

I'd call PSN.  They had 3 450's coming on the newsletter a couple of weeks ago.  Might have one that they haven't listed yet.

PSN.JPG

• Like 1

Well there is a guy locally selling one for $60 CDN... 

I revived mine for the 3rd time lol. Installed, turn key light comes on and off as exited. Prob last a month or two.. 

• Like 1