07 420 Rancher

High Idle Rancher 420 ES

Hello all,

I am a new user on this forum.  I have a 2007 420 Rancher ES 4x4.  I have owned this bike from new and have had almost zero problems with it.  The problem that I am having now is that when I start it, it idles up so high that I cannot put it in gear. This started all of the sudden when I drove it to one of my gates and shut it down.  When I restarted it, it started behaving as described.  I have replaced the IACV, the throttle position sensor and have taken the throttle body apart and cleaned the body.  The bike will start up and run, but at a higher than normal idle.  I am wondering if the little cylinder associated with the IACV has to be in a specific position (other than being aligned properly with the locating pin) during install to function properly?  Is there a reset procedure for whatever controls the IACV?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 

07 420 Rancher

Welcome to the forum. Did you spray any cleaner in the throttle body where the IACV is? Is there the proper free play in the throttle cable?

Hi Rancher , welcome to the forum !  I  seen you checked into the Chat last night a couple of times and never joined in the discussions , next time join in and shot the bull with the guys .... they will talk about anything you like 

5 minutes ago, 07 420 Rancher said:

Thanks Fishfiles!  I may join in next time.  Any thoughts on my idle problem?

I'm not a ES or fuel injected guy , old school foot shift and carbs for me , I read a lot of the threads on other models but don't really know them  , toodeep knows them and is very knowledgeable  ----- seems I have read somewhere of that same problem you have before , I also wonder if it could be a installation alignment position problem ---- do you have the manual for your atv , there are downloads here on this site 

2007 420 Rancher manual :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12hzs10L_Gwu0aVyp8vhmEXNdf2N2P7tk

I understand being old school!  Back when there were points, condensers, timing lights and the like.  Computer controlled engines were way into the future.  Toodeep replied to my 1st post.  Maybe Toodeep is still pondering what the issue could be.  I do have the manual.  Downloaded last weekend when I still trying to figure it out.  I will post an answer when either I or the Honda shop figure it out.  I will also look at the manual link that you sent me.  Thanks! 

• Like 1

I was scrolling thru the manual earlier , section 6 is the fuel section , seen a fuel troubleshooting guide , but didn't find a mention to high rpms , sure there must be another section on fuel troubleshooting , didn't do the whole section 

Yes section 6.  I am thinking that the cylinder that slides up and down to control the intake air at idle is either sticking or not being told to move by a computer module.  It has a little motor that attaches to a shaft that moves the cylinder up and down thus either opening or closing a port that allows more or less air into the throttle body during idle.  The little cylinder is much like a slide valve on an old style carburator.  The slide can be adjusted up and down by turning it up and down the threaded shaft from the little motor, but no mention is made about where the cylinder should be for installation other than the slot must align with the pin in the throttle body.  The high idle on the trouble shooting is on page 6-6 third from the bottom.  Thanks for your help by the way

• Like 1

I would guess you seen this already ---- I know the guys that ride in water have a lot of trouble with the Oxygen sensor when it comes to  idling 

fullsizeoutput_e8f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_e90.jpeg

I been trying to learn as much as I can about the models I don't have , about to retire and thinking about doing atvs as a stocking stuff $ kind of thing , want to do all custom mod work , but I know I'll have to take the good with the bad 

• Like 2

I am at a loss right now. One thing I have came across (more than once) was the IACV shaft got slightly bent in handling and it wouldn't let the slide work properly. Most I could just tweak back straight and they worked perfect. One of them I could never get perfect enough so I got another to replace it.

• Like 1

Thank you toodeep.  I am beginning to think that there was maybe a computer chip failure.  Guessing that there is computer logic that controls the IACV. Bent shaft makes sense but how would it get bent?  My bike was fine and then it wasn't.  When I purchased the new valve, it appeared to have the "slide" out of alignment with the shaft but it also seamed to float fairly freely on the shaft thus self aligning.  I also after re-reading the manual with Fishfiles help see that you are supposed to lightly seat the slide valve up against the motor upon install, which I did.  Going to take it to a dealer tomorrow or Saturday.  Also going to take a look at a Kawasaki Mule while there.  Want one in addition to my Rancher anyway. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 07 420 Rancher said:

Thank you toodeep.  I am beginning to think that there was maybe a computer chip failure.  Guessing that there is computer logic that controls the IACV. Bent shaft makes sense but how would it get bent?  My bike was fine and then it wasn't.  When I purchased the new valve, it appeared to have the "slide" out of alignment with the shaft but it also seamed to float fairly freely on the shaft thus self aligning.  I also after re-reading the manual with Fishfiles help see that you are supposed to lightly seat the slide valve up against the motor upon install, which I did.  Going to take it to a dealer tomorrow or Saturday.  Also going to take a look at a Kawasaki Mule while there.  Want one in addition to my Rancher anyway. 

I was referring to the replacement of the IACV with a new one as possibly being tweaked. I've fixed them on the trail (your exact scenario) with nothing more than a beer and pair of pliers. I'm guessing you tried the original after it was cleaned though. I'm not a kawi fan so I won't go there.

I have a Kaw ATV motor apart on the floor of my kitchen right now with a disintegrated water pump bearing and a twisted off oil pump. It's beyond repair due to the cost of parts required to fix it. The crankshaft & rod, cylinder & piston, cam & rockers, waterpump shaft, oil pump and several bearings are all toast.

• Like 1

Yes toodeep when I looked at the new IACV it appeared a little tweaked but it also looked as if the cylinder sort of like it was able the pivot on shaft. I will take it back apart to make sure. As far as the Kawi goes, I think it is a shame that Honda doesn’t have a more utility like unit to compare the Mule to. I like the Honda Pioneer but I think it is more recreational than utilitarian. Are you a fan of the Pioneer? 700 or 1000?

6 hours ago, retro said:

I have a Kaw ATV motor apart on the floor of my kitchen right now with a disintegrated water pump bearing and a twisted off oil pump. It's beyond repair due to the cost of parts required to fix it. The crankshaft & rod, cylinder & piston, cam & rockers, waterpump shaft, oil pump and several bearings are all toast.

Hello retro, is the engine you refer to the 3 cylinder Kawi? From what I understand it is a Chinese made engine, that is a bit of a turn off. 

Those old Bayou 300's made in the 90's were tough as !.  One of my buddy's still has one, and it's been put through the ringer.

I would think you could take readings at the IACV connector and see if they are what they're supposed to be on startup.  If they aren't, you know it's somewhere further up the line.  If they are, inspect/clean/replace the IACV.

30 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Those old Bayou 300's made in the 90's were tough as !.  One of my buddy's still has one, and it's been put through the ringer.

I would think you could take readings at the IACV connector and see if they are what they're supposed to be on startup.  If they aren't, you know it's somewhere further up the line.  If they are, inspect/clean/replace the IACV.

Ok.  I will give that a try. Thanks

4 hours ago, 07 420 Rancher said:

Hello retro, is the engine you refer to the 3 cylinder Kawi?

It is an older 400 one lunger, sohc. I don't know what year it is, the man took the motor out of the ATV and brought it to me.... said his kid was riding it and it started rattling pretty bad then died. It looks like it was run hard until it seized up.

6 hours ago, retro said:

It is an older 400 one lunger, sohc. I don't know what year it is, the man took the motor out of the ATV and brought it to me.... said his kid was riding it and it started rattling pretty bad then died. It looks like it was run hard until it seized up.

I see. Well, I am seriously considering a Mule. The one I want has a three cylinder engine. Do you know anything about the Honda Pioneer? Honda offers a 700cc thumper and a 1000cc twin. I don’t need to make a mistake on an expensive machine