Eric

02 400EX carb and clutch

My son has the quad Trying to find out if the swap to the newer style carb works like I've seen. Stock carb is 16100-HN1-013 I believe I've seen one for sale Honda made that's 16100-HN1-A43 says it works on older quad. Anyone seen them? What's a good brand of carb? I Know Honda but looking for little cheaper option if I can pretty pricey at like 300$ just dont want cheap china carb either. 

What's a good clutch to get? Havent checked to see yet if it needs a basket or not. Cork VS. Carbon fiber. He has burnt like 2 clutches thinking it's his fault slipping clutch.  

All oem honda 400ex carbs will work. The newer ones have a slightly bigger bore. But that doesnt effect anything but maybe alittle power and a small jetting tweak. Clutch options. I really liked my ebc dirtracer clutch. Its a cork base. Barnett makes a good clutch. Make sure you are getting the 20% stiffer springs. Doesnt matter brand on that. It will make it lock up better and slip less. My new build im doing a hinson clutch and bullet proof basket. I tend to stay away from the kevlar and carbon fiber clutches. They build up in the oil to what i have seen. Also the basket if its not grooved to bad it can be filed smooth to make clutch action alot smoother. If its hanging up it can cause the clutch to slip and burn up quicker. Welcome to the forums!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

All oem honda 400ex carbs will work. The newer ones have a slightly bigger bore. But that doesnt effect anything but maybe alittle power and a small jetting tweak. Clutch options. I really liked my ebc dirtracer clutch. Its a cork base. Barnett makes a good clutch. Make sure you are getting the 20% stiffer springs. Doesnt matter brand on that. It will make it lock up better and slip less. My new build im doing a hinson clutch and bullet proof basket. I tend to stay away from the kevlar and carbon fiber clutches. They build up in the oil to what i have seen. Also the basket if its not grooved to bad it can be filed smooth to make clutch action alot smoother. If its hanging up it can cause the clutch to slip and burn up quicker. Welcome to the forums!

your slippin, you let this thread post in the utility section ?!..lol. , moved it here :-).

1 minute ago, SlammedRanger said:

Sorry i was so pumped to see 400ex i didnt pay attention to where it was posted lol

lol, I figured that ^^^, I seen your response in his intro, i'm like, oh crap..slammed finally got some one too help ?!..lol.

Yes I'm new on here guess I didn't read the choices where to post well enough. Can kinda be confusing. 

33 minutes ago, Eric said:

Yes I'm new on here guess I didn't read the choices where to post well enough. Can kinda be confusing. 

No worries man! Were just getting this forum rolling and its been alot of utility quad stuff. Ive been twiddling my thumbs haha.

2 hours ago, Eric said:

all good, we wont put ya in the time out corner....yet ?!...lol.

6 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

Sorry i was so pumped to see 400ex i didnt pay attention to where it was posted lol

The 300ex and the 400ex are two of the greatest sport quads ever!!!

18 hours ago, shadetree said:

your slippin, you let this thread post in the utility section ?!..lol. , moved it here :-).

I generally stay away from anything with the brand tusk. I just purchased a crank puller from them for my stroker build this winter and expect it will fail most likely.

It was cheap enough tho that if it atleast works one time i will be happy.

Was wondering. I have tusk nerf bars and tank lid on my raptor they work well but wasn't sure on clutches. 

Yeah i mean i do alot of racing and i tend to beat on my quad alot harder then most. But i have never had anything from tusk that held up. Grab bar broke. Nerf bars broke. I cant imagine they got clutches any better lol. Honestly ebc clutches can be found on ebay in the 60-70 dollar range. Sometime alittle cheaper. The 20% stiffer springs are usually around 25-30 bucks but worth there weight in gold. Also clutch adjustment is very important on these. I have purchased some when i was flipping 400s that the clutch adjustment was so bad it felt like a bad clutch but it was actually a stretched cable and way out of adjustment.

• Like 1