Mbenko

2000 Honda Rancher 350 No Spark

Yeah it might not be the drain screw.

those early Rancher carbs seems like there’s a rash of float valve problems. My 02 has never had a carb problem.

All OEM parts. I take my work quads to the local Honda shop, which has always done right by me

BTW rust on the carb shouldn’t be a problem; rust in the carb is a problem 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mbenko said:

It’s really rough looking at the moment. Give me two weeks and hopefully we have something worth posting. 

sadly my victory over the spark was short lived. Currently facing another issue...in the last week I’ve been waiting on fuel valve, choke assembly, and carb cleaning. I’ve got the carb in about as good a shape as possible but there’s some rust still prevalent on it. While it will idle kind of just fine but sometimes not ...the moment I put any throttle on it it dies. In addition the bottom drain plug leaks like no other no matter how hard I tighten it. Should I spend the $200 and get a new one before this things catches fire? I would think this would also fix my throttle issue. 

I fought the carb on my daughter's 05 Rancher for a while, then finally broke down and bought a new OEM one. 

Haven't had a lick of trouble from it since.

I don't know what it is about the 350 Rancher carbs, but I haven't had an old one yet that I could get "right".  Haven't had any trouble at all with any other Honda carbs.

Someone said the 350 Rancher and 300 carbs or more or less the same (I think?).  If that's the case, I wonder why you never see the leaking float valve issue on 300's?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392762639521

• Like 2

On 5/5/2021 at 5:52 PM, retro said:

Hey, it was a lot of fun! I'm tickled that your repair didn't require any parts and we had great communication! Stick around, we are a friendly & grateful bunch....!

Hey I have a 2002 honda rancher 350 es and I got it running after it sat for years and then it quit working it has no spark I have replaced the cdi box voltage regulator angle sensor battery and it still doesn’t work and the electric shift quit working I don’t care if the electric shift doesn’t work anymore I just want it running

1 hour ago, 2002 honda rancher said:

Hey I have a 2002 honda rancher 350 es and I got it running after it sat for years and then it quit working it has no spark I have replaced the cdi box voltage regulator angle sensor battery and it still doesn’t work and the electric shift quit working I don’t care if the electric shift doesn’t work anymore I just want it running

Welcome aboard.

Please start your own thread so the information discussed doesn’t get confused between multiple users.

In that thread tell us what parts you’ve replaced and where you got them (OEM parts or Amazon/ebay junk?)

On 1/18/2022 at 11:13 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Welcome aboard.

Please start your own thread so the information discussed doesn’t get confused between multiple users.

In that thread tell us what parts you’ve replaced and where you got them (OEM parts or Amazon/ebay junk?)

I started my own thread

On 1/18/2022 at 11:13 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Welcome aboard.

I started my own thread

On 5/1/2021 at 3:39 PM, retro said:

Good work! Now it should be fairly easy to find the fault since you've prepped the electric system and have verified clean grounds.

Before you begin diagnosis make sure that all ignition parts that are on your Rancher are Genuine Honda parts. Reinstall the original Honda parts if you have them, or if you have replaced anything with china parts from amazon, ebay, etc. The reason this is important is because china aftermarket parts do not work on Honda ATVs. We can't diagnose the Ignition system and we can't fix it either, if any china knockoff parts are on it.

First step is to verify that ya got a neutral light on while the ignition is turned on and the trans is in neutral? The battery must be in good condition and fully charged.

Then check for battery voltage through the ignition switch and the handlebars kill switch with a multimeter. You'll need to turn the ignition off (never unplug or plug in a component while it is switched on), unplug the CDI (mounted on the right-side front of the frame), switch your multimeter to DC volts mode and poke your red meter lead into the CDI harness plug where the Black/White stripe wire is and poke your black meter lead into the CDI harness plug where the Green/White stripe wire is. Turn the ignition switch on, kill switch in "Run" position. You should measure battery voltage (12.6v or greater). Now move your black meter lead to the frame ground next to the CDI and verify that battery voltage exists. Turn the ignition off. If you do not measure battery voltage on the Bl/W wire, stop right there and let us know so we can fix that. If battery voltage is present then continue to the next step.

Next check for battery voltage where the Green/White stripe wire is in the CDI connector. Poke your red meter lead into the Green/White wire and hold your black meter lead on the frame ground next to the CDI. Battery voltage should be present while the ignition switch is on.

Next check that the Light Green/Red stripe wire in the CDI harness connector provides a negative ground while the transmission is in neutral. Poke your red meter lead into the Black/White stripe wire in the CDI harness connector and poke your black meter lead into the Lg/R wire in the connector. Turn the ignition switch on. You should measure battery voltage there.

That completes the power & grounds portion, let us know what you have learned and then we'll continue on through the next steps.

Hello there, I’m brand new to this. I have a 2002 Honda 350es fourtrax that has no spark. However, I followed all the step and I’ve discovered that one of them doesn’t work for me. I’m supposed to get a voltage reading when I put my red lead on the green/white wire and my black lead to ground on the frame. If you could give me some advice I would be very grateful. 

9 minutes ago, Chesnuts54 said:

Hello there, I’m brand new to this. I have a 2002 Honda 350es fourtrax that has no spark. However, I followed all the step and I’ve discovered that one of them doesn’t work for me. I’m supposed to get a voltage reading when I put my red lead on the green/white wire and my black lead to ground on the frame. If you could give me some advice I would be very grateful. 

Hi Chesnuts , welcome to the forum  ----- it would work out better ,  if you start a new thread , I would name it "  2002 Honda 350es fourtrax that has no spark. " 

6 hours ago, Chesnuts54 said:

Old thread, different Rancher, but.... Your issue appears to be the same issue the original poster had. You'll find that solution explained earlier in this thread. If ya want a shortcut to the revealing of the fix rather than read the thread, skip to this post, read the explanation of the fault, look at the diagram and find & shine up the negative battery cable frame ground. If you still have no spark after cleaning up all of the grounds start a new thread in this section so we can help ya troubleshoot your issue further.

Welcome to ATVHonda!

• Thanks 1