judson

Power Steering problem

Hi, all.  I have a 2009 Honda Rancher fourtrax with power steering. A couple times, the power steering has quit on me. If I shut it off and restart it, the light will flash and then stay on and it works again. The fuse looks ok. Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch. judson

Edited by judson
change wording

Judson , welcome to ATVHonda.com , I am not your Huckleberry when it come to power steering , sure someone will be along with P.S. experience ,  I am old school with sore shoulder sometimes , wishing I had it , LOL 

Appreciate the howdy! It happened again this afternoon. Will be happy to get some opinions. We don't have a Honda dealer anywhere close to us.

Check your grounds and make sure they are clean and tight. Low voltage will disable the power steering. After that your battery may run down. Not the only cause but one I am familiar with.

• Like 1

Just recently replaced the battery. It did it with the old battery also. I'll check the grounds tomorrow. Thanks.

You can download the factory service manual from the toolbar at the top of the page.  It has some troubleshooting techniques in it.

That said, when I tried the procedure listed to reset the PS on @basfnb's 420, I didn't have any luck resetting it. 

His kid smacked a telephone pole, so might have actually broken something on his.

Thanks. I did clean and tighten the grounds this morning. Hoping that might be the cause. Won't know until if and when it happens again. 😉 The service manuals should help if necessary. Thanks.

• Like 1

I don't know what the fix would be but mine did it one time when one tire hit a fairly tall rut head on.  I shut it down and waited about 20 seconds and restarted it.  It fixed it and hasn't done it since.

• Like 1

The first time it happened, I had just hit a broken area on the edge of the tar road.  Might be the trigger that causes the problem. Thanks.

• Like 1