sled_22

Jonsered 2165 complete rebuild (372xp)

Napa sells Martin Senior brand self etching primer.  Don't know if it self levels but you pretty much need to grind the stuff to get it off.  Everything I do gets a shot of that primer. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

Napa sells Martin Senior brand self etching primer.  Don't know if it self levels but you pretty much need to grind the stuff to get it off.  Everything I do gets a shot of that primer. 

I went to Home Depot earlier and picked up a can while I was there , $5.98 a can , well worth it , goes a long ways , dries fast , you can paint over it in 15 minutes 

fullsizeoutput_ea1.jpeg

And here this entire time I thought it was supposed to be self ITCHING primer.

I'm sure the friendly associates at o'reileys would have figured out what itching primer was.

• Haha 1

Well I checked the one seal tonight. It looks like it tore some when putting the bushing in. I think I’ll have to get a new one. Anyone have experience with shaft seals and what they can handle or expect? It looks a little tore up. Seems tight though with the bushing installed. 
I did order a new one so I’m gonna put that in but sucks that it tore just sliding the part in that needs to be in there. 

F791F498-CFC9-4991-94A7-43224CCDBDC5.jpeg

466F3E3A-2440-4CC7-A1BA-09EFCE01AD93.jpeg

Is there an Oring under that sleeve?  I'd replace the seal and put the sleeve/bushing in first.

• Like 1

Yeah there is an oring In there. Good call on the bushing installed first. I’ll try again in a couple days. 😞 better right than twice. 

Piston was mounted.  Plenty of 2 stroke lube. Make sure the wrist pins point up. Lube the cylinder then carefully set the cylinder. Don’t forget a new gasket before the cylinder. Before I pushed the piston all the way in I poured some more 2 stroke lube down the spark plug hole and worked it around to cost the cylinder walls. 
after that I started mounting the carb plate and tank. Ran new fuel and impulse lines. I put a new fuel filter in the tank and mounted the tank/handle. I also had to put the kill wires in. 
hopefully tomorrow my new seal for the pto shows up and it can be finished. 

53AA1676-9FCE-4D1D-917C-B8D52CF7762E.jpeg

ED788FA7-19A7-4774-8378-152879FAF7D8.jpeg

6E1FE130-74E2-4545-89CB-2A1F8AC16F58.jpeg

5AC2A144-F886-4A3A-B3D1-F580D33BB0C5.jpeg

E8ED1C50-8D48-49C7-B43F-96CA82387F8D.jpeg

59BC0A0C-CEB5-499E-B989-2BA554FA24C3.jpeg

• Like 7

Closer. Crank seal came today. Got the clutch together and in. Carb cleaned and mounted. Had to put the tools down and hang out for my grandpas birthday party tonight. 

F7B894DB-7A7A-4E12-8AAC-56D06E07D0DA.jpeg

4BAB2E35-EE29-4603-801C-EDE4DF70B4CB.jpeg

• Like 5

The first picture in the last post has shiny yellow fuel hose. Chinese hose is shiny and will fail very quickly. Tygon is the only hose I've used professionally. Looks good otherwise!!!!

3 minutes ago, Misterclean said:

The first picture in the last post has shiny yellow fuel hose. Chinese hose is shiny and will fail very quickly. Tygon is the only hose I've used professionally. Looks good otherwise!!!!

Yeah that’s a China hose. But that’s the impulse line. I’m trying to use that up on impulse line when I can. 
thank you. I’m excited to hear it run. 

anyone have break in recommendations? I was gonna mix 32:1 and let it idle for 10 minutes then make some easy straight cuts for its first heat cycle. I’ve read a lot of different ideas. 

She runs. Bit to late to let it idle. Try her Out tomorrow. 
the rest speaks for itself. New old stock recoil coming soon. 

0EE866A1-5FB7-46D6-8EDB-D4767A836611.jpeg

54E30450-338F-485A-99BB-C78DFFF9F52A.jpeg

2E595F87-42C0-4DCD-A6E5-2933F24BAF9F.jpeg

B0BA2BC5-281E-44DE-A288-DC1D5795EDBC.jpeg

A0664368-91C4-4757-877C-8E9832A3890C.jpeg

Edited by sled_22
  • Like 7

Beautiful job !!! 

Jon' , I think of you as the lumberjack guru round here , seen this at the flea market yesterday , could this some kind of logging tool , maybe  a log roller , bottom pic ? I say that cause the top pic was in the lot also 

image.pngimage.png 

Concerning the break in procedure.........if it were an OEM top end I would say just run it.........perhaps a little easy on the first cut tho. Since it's aftermarket it's impossible to say because you didn't measure the clearances.....or didn't mention it. Because it's aftermarket, play it safe and do heat cycles and easy cuts etc. for a tank of gas. 38 years doing this and a few years before that on dirt bikes for me.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Beautiful job !!! 

Jon' , I think of you as the lumberjack guru round here , seen this at the flea market yesterday , could this some kind of logging tool , maybe  a log roller , bottom pic ? I say that cause the top pic was in the lot also 

image.pngimage.png 

The top one is of tie tongs.  Two guys can drag a RR tie up to the edge of the rail, reposition the tie tongs and insert the tie under the rails.  I think the bottom picture is a Johnson Rod😉

When I look up Johnson Rod , it comes up in a lift kit for a Land Rover ??? 

When I was younger them tongs where , also , used at the ice house for moving around the 300 pound blocks of ice , they would chop you off a chunk 

Johnson rod. Interesting. I figured it was some kind of cant hook. 

got the saw bar-Ed up today. Let it idle for about 10 minutes. I kind of had to babysit it or it wouldn’t run for more than a minute. 
I mixed some gas oil around 32:1 too for the first tank. Just to keep everything extra lubed. 
I left the carb fat and happy for about 5 minutes of cutting then leaned it out so it would four-stroke off and on through the cut. 
near the end of the tank I leaned it out to four stroke when no load but clean up nice in the cut. 
sure is a nice saw. Can’t wait to get to the woods with it. Still waiting on a NOS recoil and operator switch for the handle. 

3324CDC5-CD48-453A-AC3C-88CB0B8981CF.jpeg

A07CD942-6E4D-48F9-83EC-D455058EF620.jpeg

• Like 6

Hi: What is the weight of the saw? Great work at bringing it back to life again -- a big 10+ 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Beautiful job !!! 

image.pngimage.png 

Im pretty sure bottom picture is part of a hanging beam scale.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, THH said:

Im pretty sure bottom picture is part of a hanging beam scale.

I think you nailed it , when I type in hanging beam scale this pic comes up 

image.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Misterclean said:

Concerning the break in procedure.........if it were an OEM top end I would say just run it.........perhaps a little easy on the first cut tho. Since it's aftermarket it's impossible to say because you didn't measure the clearances.....or didn't mention it. Because it's aftermarket, play it safe and do heat cycles and easy cuts etc. for a tank of gas. 38 years doing this and a few years before that on dirt bikes for me.

I did 3 heatcycles before cutting. Seemed to make good power. Time will tell. I read the hyway piston is pretty decent. Caber rings too. 

11 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

When I look up Johnson Rod , it comes up in a lift kit for a Land Rover ??? 

When I was younger them tongs where , also , used at the ice house for moving around the 300 pound blocks of ice , they would chop you off a chunk 

'Round here Johnson Rods are usually found in the same isle as Muffler Bearings, Kneuter Valves and buckets of Prop Wash.😉

• Haha 2

Well. I thought it turned out so well. I bought a couple more 2165s. These two will be for sale when I’m done.  
I burned up my parts washer pump though so I have to get that fixed first. 

8C767816-2F4E-48A2-9EC7-809B78C60BFF.jpeg

B21F6626-ED67-4B67-95D0-0B32DCE151A7.jpeg

E6B57805-DA9D-4E8A-A968-FA7BED7902F8.jpeg

C1B2B8AD-AD81-4205-B4EF-49A538313290.jpeg

A0ADF611-7224-4AEC-B094-894E066218DC.jpeg

18070D08-8621-454B-9198-420580AEAADC.jpeg

• Like 5

Looks great! 

And the new projects look sad.  Glad you're going to bring them back to life.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Looks great! 

And the new projects look sad.  Glad you're going to bring them back to life.

The way they look, I might need to learn how to dye plastic.

I see a lot of guys take the orange stihl plastic and dye it black.

Might have to find a red dye.

Edited by sled_22