Magnets - DC - HowTo???

First! 😎

More later...

19 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

I find myself very attracted to this subject. 😉

I'm the polar opposite. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My opinion reverses frequently on the topic.

Seriously I would like to know how to reverse the polarity of the magnets on my starter.

when i first bought the quad the starter would turn the engine and it would start. But then the brushes fried. I rebuilt the starter and it turns backwards now. All i can think is that the fried brushes reversed the polarity of the magnets. Is that possible?

OEM starter, OEM rebuild kit. I even took it to a battery shop. The guys didn’t mention whether the polarity switch was possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goober said:

My opinion reverses frequently on the topic.

Seriously I would like to know how to reverse the polarity of the magnets on my starter.

when i first bought the quad the starter would turn the engine and it would start. But then the brushes fried. I rebuilt the starter and it turns backwards now. All i can think is that the fried brushes reversed the polarity of the magnets. Is that possible?

OEM starter, OEM rebuild kit. I even took it to a battery shop. The guys didn’t mention whether the polarity switch was possible.

Did you use a new brush plate?  I believe on a DC brushed motor it's possible to get them to run backwards by rotating the brush plate.  My brother and I used to race slot cars as kids and he figured out he could tune his motors by slightly changing the timing of the brushes.

• Like 2

@56Sierra is right. There are two ways (three actually, the 3rd method requires reverse polarity magnetic field magnets though) to reverse the direction of a permanent magnet brushed DC motor.

As 56sierra mentioned the brush plate can be rotated to alter timing to produce more/less power/RPM, thus reverse the rotation direction as well. To reverse the motor direction without altering timing just swap the positive/negative brush leads.

• Like 2

Yes thanks I installed all new brush plate kit and had motor turned. Maybe I misunderstood assembly. The plate has three mating points and doesn’t look like i can swap brush position. I’ll try again 

FF4C9DC0-281A-4A27-A64A-6033CE93C59F.jpeg

• Like 1

reverse the wiring., if possible.. this just dont seem right..., or get new magnets.

Edited by LedFTed

Try flipping the magnets housing end for end in case the locating tangs on each end are the same shape?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, retro said:

Try flipping the magnets housing end for end in case the locating tangs on each end are the same shape?

I think you're on to something.   My Dad was a fork lift mechanic in a steel mill and he taught me to always index things before you took them apart.  He would scribe an X on one end and a straight line on the other end of a motor, generator or alternator.   Dad wasn't the most educated guy on the block but he had more common sense than half the people in town combined. 

• Like 3