redriders

Honda Foreman Speedometer

New to site.  Trying to get in touch with AKATV to see if he would be interested in re-programming a speedometer for my neighbor.  The gear selection is no longer showing up.  Thanks for any help in getting in touch.

Welcome to the forum!

I can get you taken care of no problem

I think I goofed up sending you a message here and it didn’t get sent out correctly I’ll try it again here right now

Hey red welcome, saw you on chat, hope to see you again there sometime.  We have fun there....

• Like 1

@AKATV I have a 04 Honda Foreman 450S with a sun damaged speedometer.  I pulled the outside cover off it last night.  It has a "burned" looking oval in the middle of the display.  If I shine a flashlight from the side, it makes it bright enough to read the information on the screen.  Everything seems to be working, it is just hard to read even with the sun damaged outer cover removed.  Can you help?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fredmania said:

@AKATV I have a 04 Honda Foreman 450S with a sun damaged speedometer.  I pulled the outside cover off it last night.  It has a "burned" looking oval in the middle of the display.  If I shine a flashlight from the side, it makes it bright enough to read the information on the screen.  Everything seems to be working, it is just hard to read even with the sun damaged outer cover removed.  Can you help?

Should be an easy fix for him.  Welcome aboard.

Hi Fredmania

Welcome to the forum!

Sure, I can get you taken care of, no problem.

Just need to see a photo of the LCD display to make sure there aren’t any black “ink” looking spots, because the 450S model has a a high LCD panel failure rate and that failure can’t be repaired it must be replaced

Also need you to check when you open the speedometer case to see if the circuit card is removable from the harness via plugs or if it’s hardwired in- they vary-

but will both ship in a small priority mail flat rate box either way

I sent you my contact information and we can take it from there

Don’t forget to say Hi! to everybody in the new member Forum and if you don’t have a factory service manual for your ATV you can download one here on the forum for free

On 5/10/2021 at 5:23 AM, Fredmania said:

Hi Fredmania,

I never heard back and was wondering if you were still needing help on your speedometer?
I messaged you my contact information if so

AKATV

AKATV,

I'm sorry didn't realize you didn't know who I was here.  I'm the one PA that you just fixed me up for my neighbors quad.  Thank you for the great job once again.

OK no problem I just wanted to make sure that I was tracking everything properly

Thanks for the update

Akatv I have a speedometer out of a 1999 trx450es I’d like to send you if you could contact me with info.

Sure no problem I’ll send you my contact information in a PM (private message)

On 5/19/2021 at 7:33 PM, AKATV said:

OK no problem I just wanted to make sure that I was tracking everything properly

Thanks for the update

Hello @AKATV - I have a 2004 Honda TRX 450FM A Foreman S. Gear selection is not showing on the meter - not even the designated area with a "reverse L". I believe you can flash the EEPROM - is that correct ?

15 minutes ago, SparyMark said:

Hello @AKATV - I have a 2004 Honda TRX 450FM A Foreman S. Gear selection is not showing on the meter - not even the designated area with a "reverse L". I believe you can flash the EEPROM - is that correct ?

bad gear position switch, or bad connection at harness.

24 minutes ago, SparyMark said:

Would that affect the entire designated area on the LCD meter? 

no.

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

bad gear position switch, or bad connection at harness.

It does not have a gear indicator position on the display because it’s a Foreman 450S / FM and they don’t show gear position on their meters-LOL

The ES models are the only one that show gear position 1-5,N,R on the meters at least as far as the Foreman 450 and Rancher 350 are concerned

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, AKATV said:

Or it could be because it’s a Foreman 450S / FM and they don’t show gear position on their meters-LOL

Never have,  as far as I know..

The ES models are the only one that show gear position on the meters at least as far as the Foreman 450 and Rancher 350 are concerned

Ahhh ! You know that had crossed my mind at the early stages of this saga - but the service manual didn't explicitly state that.  In fact it shows the FM electrical schematic with in the ESP chapter (21) so I doubted my initial thoughts.  I called the Honda dealer and they immediately stated its either the angle sensor or replace the meter assembly.  But I think I trust you guys here more.. 

Edited by SparyMark
  • Like 1

Also if you check out your gear position switch on the wiring diagram for your model you’ll see that it only has a position for reverse and neutral and thats just to turn on the reverse neutral lights on the speedometer

You would think that the Honda dealer would know that if it’s an 450S /FM model that there is no angle sensor on the machine to begin with.........but it doesn’t surprise me LOL

Welcome to the forum by the way!

you’re in the right place for good information

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 2

...Which in turn would explain why partzilla.com did not list an angle sensor compatible with my model.....  I confirm after looking at the wiring diagram again - no angle sensor 🙂

3 hours ago, AKATV said:

It does not have a gear indicator position on the display because it’s a Foreman 450S / FM and they don’t show gear position on their meters-LOL

The ES models are the only one that show gear position 1-5,N,R on the meters at least as far as the Foreman 450 and Rancher 350 are concerned

you are correct, all these es models popping up on here lately, i was thinking it was a 450es, my bad, fm models only show speed on display, least my '03 is this way.

Hi akatv, my foreman 450s has no display at all on the dash. You can see the backlights turns on when you turn the lights on but there is no display at all.. 

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Can you see anything at all when you hold it at an angle?

Maybe post a picture or two, so I can better see what you have going on

I’ve also sent you my contact information