jeepwm69

Walmart ammo

Walmart marked down all their pistol and "assault weapon" (IDIOTS) ammo around here today.  It's about 1/2 of retail, and my local store had not yet marked it down when I did my shopping earlier today.  They aren't going to carry these calibers anymore at all, so if I had to guess prices will go up without the competition keeping them low. 

Might be worth checking at your local store if you like to shoot.

Hunting ammo is still regular price, but any handgun ammo and stuff like 7.62x39, 223, 300 BLK etc are marked down quite a bit.

all the stores up here are out of ammo  or darn close and  I was told NO more ammo will be carried at Walmarts

if you ho to there main web site, they don;t list ammo any more for sale

all ammo here was on sale a LOT a few months back , big discounts on it,  sold out in most stores near me too!

The Walmart that I use seems like they are slowly doing away with Ammo.I been buying my ammo lately at Academy Sports.

7.62x39 and 223 is common hunting ammo around here. About every feed tractor has a mini or old sks in it (some ARs now). I very seldom go to wally world unless I'm in a town with one and i need something. Everyone of them is a 2+ hour one way drive for me.

I bought a box of ammo from Walmart a few weeks back , I was in there getting my Senior hunting / fishing licenses ( over 60 ) for $5 and it is three  and a half feet long , what a deal ------ seen they had one box left of Hornaday 45-70 left on the self so I scoped it up , used the 45-70 on my one hunt so far this year as a primitive weapon , nothing primitive about it , I was one inch off the bully's eye free standing and quick shot at 100 yards and my buddy nailed dead center with it from a propped support ---- I recently found out that they allow a breach loaded single shot shotgun 10 gauge or smaller with buckshot or slug as a primitive weapon , never knew that and I have one  

I stocked up on 45/70 when I found it for $7/box at a store about an hour from home. Made the drive, got all they had.

They’re only closing out handgun and “assault rifle” ammo (although interestingly enough the 7.62x51 ball wasn’t marked down).

9mm is under 10 cents a round. Stock up while it’s cheap.

• Like 1

haven't bought ammo from Walmart in a long..well..since Sandy Hook time..when you couldn't find a box of anything anywhere...we had a new walmart grand opening back then.. and I knew that they would do their best to have initial inventory...so that day...I was ready to charge in along with all the other folks...as I'm walking across the parking lot, I see a crowd and ceremony at the main entrance, but there' s one lone employee standing at the garden entrance.. I stopped to chat with him..he said..yeah...you can go in this door as soon as they open...it was like some comedy movie.. I got in and was speedwalking to the gun counter.. I'm looking out the corner of my eye and another guy is doing the same...

we get there..he's first..he wanted all 6 boxes of the 9mm they had.. I was there for 45 and 380...there were only 4 boxes of 380.. I felt like I should leave at least one box for someone else..and I looked over my shoudler and there's about 30 people lined up..all with that look in their eyes.... I asked for 3 boxes of 380 and 3 of 45..leaving a couple boxes in the case ...paid..and skeedaddled out the same side door...

but with good supply out there today.. the last stuff I ever wanna buy is Wally World winchester white box...the stuff is junk at any price...turns my kimber ultra and springfield ultra 1911 carry guns into jammomatics..they run perfect with blazer, independance, federal etc...and I won't run steel cases...so.. i just pass the wally mart on by...beside, my guess is the girl working there now, likely called her brotherinlaw the day of and says "hey bubba...I'm about to do the sale...get over here quick and get it all...."

and seriously...while you can never have 'enough"....I gotta be honest with myself and realize that the odds of me ever going through my current inventory..even if there are zombies (grin)...even when I used to train and was taking some advanced courses that could easily eat up 500rds on a saturday...I kept my inventory levels healthy..and then when they had us all convinced that Hillary was going to be crowned queen of the universe.. I put some pain to the wallet and tripled my inventory...so yeah...not turning this into a gun forum or a political thread...so let me back out now after I've likely said too much...point is... don't need to spend the hundreds of $ right now at christmas, even on sale, for something that I already am in solid shape on....but thanks for the headsup post.

I've run a ton of the WWB 9MM through an early 70's Colt 1911 and an old Ruger P85 that I had in my younger days.  Never had a hiccup, but they would eat anything.  That P85 was like holding a brick but it went bang every time.

Most stores are sold out of the clearance stuff.  My local store had some Remington green box 45 on the shelf this morning that she'd just restocked.  $25/100.   Everything else was GONE.

Only thing I bought was some CCI shotshells for a 38/357 and the same thing for 22  They make good snake cartridges when I'm fishing.

• Like 1

yep... I had run Wally world winchester white box in my old S&W 4006...old copy duty gun...that thing would try to cycle rocks if you asked it to...it always ran it just fine...full size slide guns...you don't really notice it at the range, other than maybe a bit more dirty at the muzzle..but tight tolerance shorty 1911s...that's where it showed up..and badly...so, yes, there are some boxes buried deep on the zombie stash of 40 and even 380...but the bit of 45 I had..used it literally for jam drills...I could count on that stuff giving me a FTF at least once out of a 7rd mag...each and every time.

anyway.. i use Palmetto State Armory to get price matching at my local Cabellas..so I'm getting good price on my preferred ammo brands..be it Blazer brass, or federal xm19x..or even my AR10's diet.

anyway. point is.. I didn't even bother to rush down to wally in hopes of snagging some deals...and I won't be rushing out the door after the next gun scare bad shooting news item...this ol man is set just fine.

• Like 1

wow..yeah... I've been paying closer to .30/rd for Federal boxed..not bulk... Lake city all the way for me.

my long time instructor friend passed away a couple years back...he had a great school/business and as an LEO himself, he would pull some favors and for a select few of us, he'd get our area SWAT Sgt, etc  to host more advanced classes...and we'd really go through some rounds over a weekend....with his passing and his biz closing, I just stopped doing that much ...still have a couple retired LEOs I range with and they keep me honest..and have a small range on my own property...so I probably get more trigger time in than the average CWP holder out there...but I've been around enough serious shooters that i have no ego of my own...cause i'm nothing compared to those folks.. i just wanted to train enough to feel like i'm being responsible for the force i choose to carry in daily life....that goes for classroom as much or more as range time.... at this point, if bad days actually came, I know my ammo supply would long outlast me...as it is...my kids will one day inherit some nice tools and have enough ammo to be able to experience and enjoy the sport, the training, and god forbid, have supplies to fend off a bad day....jeez..now I sound like I'm posting on a zombie prepper forum...sorry...

• Like 1

Eh, better to have and not need, than to need and not have, right?

I did pick up some 300 BLK for a buddy.  His kids use his for deer hunting (younger boys who don't like recoil...yet) and it was $5/box, so I grabbed him 4 boxes of that.

I guess I'm old enough to remember when these were normal prices on the stuff, and like you, I don't shoot like I used to.  With a house full of girls, only one of whom has any interest at all in shooting, and that's limited interest, I don't do much shooting anymore.

as a kid...what was "normal"  was for dad to have the old Ruger mark1 pistol with a loaded mag and barely enough in the box to do one reload...shotgun ammo showed up for pheasant/rabbit/deer season...and after he passed away..there was nothing more than a partial box of that 16ga, a few leftover 22 rds  in the gun from a pervious plinkin session and , I swear to you, a sandwich baggy with a half dozen 30/30 rds for the lever gun....back then , he never had a doubt that he could stop at Western Auto on the way home and pick up a  box of whatever he needed for the weekend..so he took supply for granted.

As I was training in my later years, what was common for me was more like 1k rds on hand per caliber..and I'd always buy what I planned to shoot for an upcoming class, so I seldom dipped into that 1k minimum...but when the Sandy Hook panic hit.. 1k supply seemed like the last inventory on the planet and we'd never see more again (eek!!)  

I stayed calm, ramped down on my practice and just basically hybernated the sport...once prices/supply returned I began building..not all at once...and I honestly was happy with my levels..right up until a few months before the election, when it seemed so obvious that Hillary and Congressional majority was going that way...and I was fully expected, at the very least, a return to the Clinton era gun ban...so hi-cap, etc..and prices rising...it was an easy decision to basically double my normal inventory of my main calibers, and to add more magazines....but with that done and behind me...I just don't get that anxious feeling in my gut to run down to the store every time there's a sale, or when the news spikes another mass shooting...sure glad they don't seem to include the normal Chicago weekends in their "mass shooting" reports...cause we'd really be scared...but what gets news elsewhere with gun panic and protests...in Chico..they just call it Saturday night...

• Like 1

Hate to say it, this started in the Obama era, now its the politically correct era. i leave it as that. said too much anyway..

Wally world, aint got much reason to go there anyway. not like they have a lot of quality, or pride in what they sell. i think it will fade faster then K-Mart has.

Edited by LedFTed

I was afraid when I started mentioning specific politicians by name...that I had derailed our friendly walmart ammo sale..and I really don't mean to do that to our friendly family here.

The Clinton era ban...has nothing to do with Hillary or Obama etc....it was a simple fact that Congress had set that into motion...so, apologies if we have any current Democratic folks here...didn't mean to go down that slope, was instead just talking supply and my level of "hunger" or lack thereof for rushing out to the walmart sale.