shadetree

BREAKING !! : disk brakes on '89 trx350D foreman !.

Ok outlaws, most of ya'll know that i am well into old school trx350's. sooo, after fighting all the time with my front brakes on my '89 trx350D foreman, i decided to do some trial and error with her. i only buy highlifter front brake kits for my personal toys. as too which i already have on my '03 trx450fm. we all know ( or you should know ! ) that the old trx350's call for 11 inch rims, and front disk brake kits require 12 inch rims. on top of this, i know i had to see if the mounting plate for the brake caliper would bolt to my 350 knuckle ?, sooo..i pulled my 350 into my shop, pulled my 450 out to jack it up, got both front left wheels and hubs all the way off. first, what does the 25x8x12 tires look like on the 350, will i have enough room to clear my front fender, and not hit when turning ?, as you can see in the pic's below, 25x8x12 tires WILL clear without a lift !. next: does the mounting plate line up with the 350 knuckles to bolt on ?, again, as you can see..the plate DOES line up 100% !. last but not least, i took my 450 hub, disk set-up, and it fits right onto the 350 front axle !!, bearing, seals, splines..all go hand in hand !. my mail man is going to give me the brand new steel 12 inch rims off his 500 i sold him, i will have to buy new itp mudlite tires, and a highlifter front brake kit for a trx450fm foreman, but..I KNOW IT WILL WORK !.i will keep this thread updated when as i make progress !. i may have to '' tweak '' the bend in the mounting plate to center the brake caliper ?, i wont know this yet until i get the brake kit. folks, THIS IS GROUND BRAKING !!..NO ONE ..NOT EVEN ME !, HAS EVER TRIED TO PUT DISK BRAKES ON AN OLD 350 FOURTRX THAT I KNOW OF ?...THIS WILL BE A FIRST , ONE OF A KIND THAT I KNOW OF !?!.

IMG_1539.JPG

IMG_1540.JPG

IMG_1541.JPG

IMG_1542.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Always the trend setter...lol  As usual looks good and prolly will give other 350D owners incentive to do this on theirs also.  Congrats man....

• Like 2

Just now, bcsman said:

Always the trend setter...lol  As usual looks good and prolly will give other 350D owners incentive to do this on theirs also.  Congrats man....

lol..hey..when your good at what ya do ?..you flaunt it !..lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Good to see ya back shade!

• Like 2

Any idea of the cost of this, without a great mail man?  I just ordered 2 Mudlites 25-8-12, $219 delivered Royal Distributing .  Up here used parts are a little hard to find at a decent price.  I know it will sound cheap in US dollars. lol. I think my 2 350's will out last my 2019 Rubicon, All 3 should outlast me.

Edited by CamKnouff
Reality

17 minutes ago, CamKnouff said:

Any idea of the cost of this, without a great mail man?  I just ordered 2 Mudlites 25-8-12, $219 delivered Royal Distributing .  Up here used parts are a little hard to find at a decent price.  I know it will sound cheap in US dollars. lol. I think my 2 350's will out last my 2019 Rubicon, All 3 should outlast me.

4 new tires, about 300 bucks from rocky mountain atv, 300 or so bucks for the high lifter front disk brake kit. new steel rims ( 4 ) free from my mail man.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

just a small tad of info for all that keep wondering how to mount a winch plate to these models. 3/16 steel plate, pre-drilled winch holes, cut out the plastic grill and the side inner guards, presto, plate welded to tube frame. i have a better front fender that i will swap over onto this girl, took the rest of the night off, i'm beat.

IMG_1543.JPG

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG

IMG_1546.JPG

• Like 4

Sweet! One thing I noticed... you like myself ha e installed the disc backwards! Not that it really matters, as it will work the same. Congrats. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Sweet! One thing I noticed... you like myself ha e installed the disc backwards! Not that it really matters, as it will work the same. Congrats. 

there is no RIGHT WAY OR WRONG WAY to install the rotors. it makes no difference which way you face the rotors, they will do the same job no matter which way you have the slots facing. i did not read anywhere in the instructions where it said the disk had to face a certain way ?. and even if i missed it ?, oh well, not gonna reverse them, they still stop on a dime !..lol.

• Like 2

@Mac102004 has done this I believe.  Required shimming the caliper bracket but it does work.

Do a write up @shadetree!  Lots of pics!

While I've seen people say they've done it, nobody has done a write up on it.  Would be another great sticky here!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

@Mac102004 has done this I believe.  Required shimming the caliper bracket but it does work.

Do a write up @shadetree!  Lots of pics!

While I've seen people say they've done it, nobody has done a write up on it.  Would be another great sticky here!

never seen mac post about it ?. what is the reason for shimming the bracket ?. like i told fish on the phone, no reason to shim ( washers on bracket ) caliper , as the plate has two bends to it, both can be bent on my press to center caliper to rotor disk. waiting on my mail man to drop off the steel rims, I WANT TO BE SURE THEY CLEAR ALL AROUND !, before i start buying tires and brake kit. i deff will post progress pic's as this mod moves along.

• Like 2

I'm guessing whoever did the project before used shims instead of bending the brackets.  WIthout shims would be better, so post pics as you go!

• Like 2

got the front fender '' some what '' installed today..aghhh..what a time that was !.

IMG_1547.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

• Like 7

De'Ja'Vue , check this thread out : the pic links to the SuperATV kit on the 350D have since  expired , that was back in 2012 , maybe Lancer77 has some pics saved , I remember him 

Reading the end of this thread I realized  one of my unfinished brake projects , rear brakes on the rear of a TRX250 Fourtrax/Big Red   rear end , I got all the stuff in a gang box ,  all I needed to do to finish  was weld the new flange onto the axle tube ---  

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/threads/87-foreman-350-brake-and-shock-swap.19600/

• Like 3

Looks like he stuck 4  maybe 5 washers between the caliper and the plate , I think you would have a hard time bending that bracket that much and keeping it in line cause as you bend it over it is going to drop down ----on part of the  situation was very similar when I did the 300 2wd , I had to make a new mounting plate as the mounting hole pattern was different , but  at the same time I made a new mounting plate that was straight with no offset to eliminate any need for spacers and that looks much like where you would need to be , imagine no spacers and it looks like it would line up nicely ---as I mentioned , I used shims behind my hubs to fine tune the disc in the caliper , I needed 1/16 of an inch , if I could have got 5/16 plate , I would not have needed any shims 

according to the automotive world , those disc are on backwards as @Wheeler mentioned--- those slots or holes  for cooling purposes , doubt that 350D is going to go fast enough to have that problem

• Like 2

Looking at that pic , the caliper is cocked as the pads are hitting top heavy  , also see that the inside edge of the mount bracket would be in pretty close alignment with the caliper's mounting surface , then no spacers would be needed and it might take that cock out of it   

image.png

update: ok, after talking to fish, and telling him my game plan after his plan, i came up with a much better idea. instead of spacing the caliper out with washers ( i did not like that idea at all ! ) i decided it would be much better to put some 1/4 steel flat bar behind the mounting plate. as you can see in the pics, it came out great so far !. i only got one spacer made for now to fit behind the mounting plate. the pic's show ( and from what i see in person ) that this will work out great !. i will have to get longer bolts to attach the mounting plate and spacer to the knuckle ?, but that should be easy to do. anyway, still waiting on my mail man to bring me the 12 inch rims.  got to get all my spacers made before i put the kit back on my 450. i will keep posting updates as this mod moves along, stay tuned outlaws !!.

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1550.JPG

IMG_1552.JPG

IMG_1553.JPG

IMG_1554.JPG

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_1557.JPG

• Like 5

right rear 12 inch rim from my 450, as you can see, no clearance between lugs and inner fender, but i am pretty sure i can solve this problem.

IMG_1558.JPG

• Like 2

That could be a problem going over some trails

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Melatv said:

That could be a problem going over some trails

going over trails ?..lol..how about even sitting still ?!..lol.

update: got all my spacers made. still no word from my mail man ?. might have to just break down and buy all 4 new rims as well ?. here is some pics of the spacers on both front left, front right knuckle.

IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_1561.JPG

IMG_1562.JPG

• Like 6