shadetree

BREAKING !! : disk brakes on '89 trx350D foreman !.

4 hours ago, shadetree said:

'' made in china '' 

Bummer , at least you can say you had good intentions -------   I am not one to say " I told you so " , so you ain't got to worry about  me ragging on you ,  wait till 87 Iroc finds out , you'll can be the  China Twins  , LOL 

David Allen Coe sung a song " Ain't there nothing scared no more " , fits the incident 

I think I got some new words to the rhythm of that song for you :

Got on the net , ordered some brakes , the mailman dropped at my door 

Opened the box , looked inside and my jaw fell to the floor 

Feeling lied to , feeling violated , like a cheap two bit  whore 

Leaned my lesson , stay away from them !!!! Chinese internet stores 

Ain't there nothing sacred no more 

Guess you'd have to know the song 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Bummer , at least you can say you had good intentions -------   I am not one to say " I told you so " , so you ain't got to worry about  me ragging on you ,  wait till 87 Iroc finds out , you'll can be the  China Twins  , LOL 

David Allen Coe sung a song " Ain't there nothing scared no more " , fits the incident 

two things i will say, never...EVER..pounce on your opportunity to hound another atv rider, karma sucks ya know !..rofl. second: at least i owned up to it !..lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, shadetree said:

two things i will say, never...EVER..pounce on your opportunity to hound another atv rider, karma sucks ya know !..rofl. second: at least i owned up to it !..lol.

" Pounce onto others as you would have them pounce on you "  ---- 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

" Pounce onto others as you would have them pounce on you "  ---- 

say hello to karma then !..lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/24/2021 at 3:20 PM, Fishfiles said:

Yep., I saw it and I am laughing. Been around castings a LONG time...almost as long as Shade has worked on ATVs and their brake calipers(Wilwood so 2nd source of course) scream 'china casting' to me...but trusted their website. I don't doubt that they are machined in the US...but castings from China with their non-existent environmental laws are a LOT cheaper to keep costs down.

That said...High Lifter, as a hat tip to Shade....may have a few parts made in China...but I 'think' their brake pads still last longer. 🙂 Not that I'd notice(62 miles after 9 months of riding)....but well, you know. Fish

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 87Iroc said:

Yep., I saw it and I am laughing. Been around castings a LONG time...almost as long as Shade has worked on ATVs and their brake calipers(Wilwood so 2nd source of course) scream 'china casting' to me...but trusted their website. I don't doubt that they are machined in the US...but castings from China with their non-existent environmental laws are a LOT cheaper to keep costs down.

That said...High Lifter, as a hat tip to Shade....may have a few parts made in China...but I 'think' their brake pads still last longer. 🙂 Not that I'd notice(62 miles after 9 months of riding)....but well, you know. Fish

Iroc , no matter how hard you try ,  it's hard to teach " some " old dog new tricks ---- 

Interesting on the location of your calipers, my kit (Quadtrax) Canadian spin off from SuperATV the calipers sit towards the front half of the rotor/bike....

Edited by freebo86

freebo , I seen your pic of your brakes and wondered why you installed them backwards of what I have going on ---this is a 450 SuperATV kit 

IMG_8497.JPG

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, freebo86 said:

Interesting on the location of your calipers, my kit (Quadtrax) Canadian spin off from SuperATV the calipers sit towards the front half of the rotor/bike....

calipers mount on the back side of the rotors, think of it like this , which side of the rotors on cars/trucks are they mounted ?. rear !.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, shadetree said:

calipers mount on the back side of the rotors, think of it like this , which side of the rotors on cars/trucks are they mounted ?. rear !.

I dont have the instructions for this setup, it was installed when I got the bike. But I think I've seen photos of them being mounted where they are lol on others as well. So you guys are saying mine are installed wrong? Ill have to flip it over..

1 hour ago, freebo86 said:

I dont have the instructions for this setup, it was installed when I got the bike. But I think I've seen photos of them being mounted where they are lol on others as well. So you guys are saying mine are installed wrong? Ill have to flip it over..

the PO did not mount them right, the calipers should be mounted on the rear of the rotors. flip the brackets, MAKE SURE THE CALIPERS HAVE THE BLEED VALVES ON THE TOP OF THE CALIPERS !. this may require you to switch sides when flipping them to the rear of the rotors, and this means bleeding them again. i had installed a few of these kits, and in the instructions ( if you read them !..lol ) tells you to mount the calipers on the rear side of the rotors.

• Like 3

update: got all my new tires and rims in yesterday, took me about 15 mins to mount all tires on the rims. i need to get a few small parts all back on her, then maybe roll her out of the shop, give her a good pressure washing. i will post some pics here soon.

• Like 6

Fish said in chat last night he told a couple 350D guys he knows to take a  look at your disk brake thread.  He isn't sure if they have yet or not.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

the PO did not mount them right, the calipers should be mounted on the rear of the rotors. flip the brackets, MAKE SURE THE CALIPERS HAVE THE BLEED VALVES ON THE TOP OF THE CALIPERS !. this may require you to switch sides when flipping them to the rear of the rotors, and this means bleeding them again. i had installed a few of these kits, and in the instructions ( if you read them !..lol ) tells you to mount the calipers on the rear side of the rotors.

Yah I'll have to flip them. My Bleeders are on top now. Worst is I just bled and flushed the oil fluid and brakes about a month ago.. lol

Edited by freebo86

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

Not so fast grasshopper.  Where does Honda put them on the factory disc brake equipped ATV's?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Not so fast grasshopper.  Where does Honda put them on the factory disc brake equipped ATV's?

don't know ?, i've never owned a brand new atv !..lol.

Looking great, now take that old girl out and ride it, she is raring to get some miles on her.......

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, shadetree said:

don't know ?, i've never owned a brand new atv !..lol.

Those 500's you rebuilt had factory disc brakes on them!  With the caliper at the FRONT!

Your 350 looks great though

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Those 500's you rebuilt had factory disc brakes on them!  With the caliper at the FRONT!

What's that mean for me @jeepwm69? Swap em or leave them as is?

Edited by freebo86

17 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

i said..BRAND NEW..not '05..besides, i've slept sense then..lol. and ty !.

10 minutes ago, freebo86 said:

What's that mean for me @jeepwm69? Swap em or leave them as is?

Honestly, I don't think it matters. 

As Shade said, on cars they tend to be on the back. 

On the factory Hondas, they're on the front.

So looks like they work either way.  If yours work well as they are, I'd leave them alone.

I'm just picking at Shade. LOL

• Like 3

Hi: My 420 has the caliper mounted at the front also.

6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Honestly, I don't think it matters. 

As Shade said, on cars they tend to be on the back. 

On the factory Hondas, they're on the front.

So looks like they work either way.  If yours work well as they are, I'd leave them alone.

I'm just picking at Shade. LOL

Wonder if braking performance would be any different / better with them at the rear?

That old tank still looks capable! Nice work shade!

In wet/muddy riding conditions you'll gain a slight advantage by mounting the calipers forward of the axle because the wheel opposite of each caliper splashes water & mud directly toward the opposite side wheel with the majority of the volume of splashed water/mud hitting the area behind the centerline of the opposite side axle. So if calipers are mounted behind the axle centerline they receive more direct hits... but if the caliper is mounted forward of the axle very little water/mud ever splashes on them. So rotors and pads last longer when the package is mounted forward.

Forward caliper mounting also allows more air to flow past the calipers providing optimum cooling, since the axle and suspension parts are not in the way of the air stream.

• Like 2