Sabrina 78

2012 foreman 500 won’t start

The tab was running fine and just quit while riding it. Now the gear selector just flashes — and it won’t fire. Replaced the box under the right rear fender. But no change. 

is the kill switch centered on the handle bar switch ?. have a neutral light on the dash ?. getting spark at all on plug ?. 

The kill switch is centered and there is zero spark on the plug on the dash it usually says N but right now it blinks —

20 minutes ago, Sabrina 78 said:

The kill switch is centered and there is zero spark on the plug on the dash it usually says N but right now it blinks —

until you get the neutral light to LIGHT up on the dash ?, it will never spark the plug !.

i'm not sure how you can get the tranny into neutral with a wrench ?, i do not know much about that yr model ?, but !..either with a 8mm box wrench on the allen shaft near the front cover/output shaft ?, or if you have a shaft sticking out the left side near the foot rest ?, use a wrench to get the atv into neutral, you will need to rock it back and forth, listen for the tranny to '' click ', then when in neutral, you should be able to roll it easy back and forth .

Welcome Sabrina 78, What is the model of your 2012 Foreman? Is it a Rubicon? A Hondamatic? Electric or manual shift? We need the full model number, thanks.

Manual shift. And the green neutral light shows it’s in nuetral but the text display just has two lines in it. We also pushed it into the shop so it’s not in gear

5 minutes ago, Sabrina 78 said:

Manual shift. And the green neutral light shows it’s in nuetral but the text display just has two lines in it. We also pushed it into the shop so it’s not in gear

manual shift..but shows lines on the dash ?, never heard of this before.

1 minute ago, Sabrina 78 said:

Yes and the box under the fender

checked all the fuses ?.

It is probably a bad connection in a harness connector plug somewhere. Is it a mud bike, see lots of water? You will need a copy of the service manual to diagnose the problem and clear any DTC codes that may be stored. You can get a copy of the manual here:

A constantly blinking display indicates that there is a power supply or ground issue. See the 2nd listing on this chart:

blinking.png

9 hours ago, Sabrina 78 said:

I’m not sure if the model number but it’s a foreman 500 manual shift

If it is a foot shift , it  would be called a 2012 TRX500FM --- 

you asked if it could be the coil ,  just seen a member who lost spark , he took it to a dealer and they found the wire to the coil had a bad connection ,  -----  would also check the spark plug boot connection , the spark wire screws into the boot and it can get a bad connection there , you can unscrew it , cut 1/4 inch off the wire and reattach it ----would also try another spark plug , sometimes they foul out , they look ok , but will not spark 

I wonder about those flashing bars , being it is a foot shift , I wonder if those bars  could be for the 4x4 

6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

If it is a foot shift , it  would be called a 2012 TRX500FM --- 

you asked if it could be the coil ,  just seen a member who lost spark , he took it to a dealer and they found the wire to the coil had a bad connection ,  -----  would also check the spark plug boot connection , the spark wire screws into the boot and it can get a bad connection there , you can unscrew it , cut 1/4 inch off the wire and reattach it ----would also try another spark plug , sometimes they foul out , they look ok , but will not spark 

I wonder about those flashing bars , being it is a foot shift , I wonder if those bars  could be for the 4x4 

the flashing lines has me baffled , no manual shifts ( that i know of ? ) ever flash on the display cept  electric shift models, as we all know very well, this is mostly caused by a faulty angle sensor. but manual shifts do not have angle sensors. manual shift's only have speed and some have gear position number on them. i do not know about the newer honda models.

5 minutes ago, shadetree said:

the flashing lines has me baffled , no manual shifts ( that i know of ? ) ever flash on the display cept  electric shift models

The 2012 TRX500FM have programmed electronic fuel injection (PGM-FI). Someday soon we should begin to see the newer generations of bikes for sale for dirt cheap, me thinks, riddled with new/nonworking china parts from scamazon & fleebay. Most of them will have nothing wrong with them except for wet/corroded harness connector issues. :-)

Best we get good at finding those faults now so we can profit later. Hahaha :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sabrina 78 said:

So we changed the plug today and stop switch. Still not starting 

" Not starting " , does that mean your still don't have spark ??  did you'll ground the plug on the engine and spin it over and look for spark before threading it in  !! 

Hi: With key on do you have 12VDC on the Bl/R wire on the ign. coil?

• Like 1

Hi: Have you done the checks on section 4 --page 4-35?  in service manual

• Like 1