LedFTed

weed wacker

got to knock out the weeds this evening, with the Red-Max. it's been a while.. just went down the right side of the driveway, 4 or 5 hundred feet.. only had to stop once on the way up...

i took out the tree limbs as well.., that make there way to the driveway. none thicker than my fingers.. i was using the tri-blade, i adapted to the weed eater. why pay $50.oo, for adapters.. its probable more now.. just happened to have a few parts laying around..

1 came of an old lamp, an works quite well, another i cut out of leather, to act as a clutch.. or a way for the drive to turn, though ya hit a rock.. i sparked a bunch of rocks while i was cutting, its the ground..

some places, the dirt,  go down deeper than an inch, most dont.. Kentucky was under water once.. the earth is thin here also.., as far as hitting rock... the Red Max has high rpms. reminds me of the 65, 273 barracuda. it would turn ten, before it red-lined,  then one of the solid lift push rods would bend.. i miss that car..

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 4

Staying with the forum theme, I have a 31cc Honda.  Bet I've had it 10 years now.  Found a 60 tooth carbide tipped saw blade to use.  Talk about dangerous.  Massive amounts of PPE required when using that thing but it sure is fun.

• Like 4

On 5/19/2021 at 10:38 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Yall know the rules.....PICS!

i forget.. 🙂

Edited by LedFTed

pictures pending, i used to have a straight shaft weed wacker, till i backed my tractor over it, durn lift.. it might be cheaper to buy another one. at least it was good till i got hold of it.. oh well.. splat goes the fan.. then dont ya know, i ran out of gas.. if it aint one thing.. i think the neighbors, might like me, i make em look smarter.. not an easy task, i'm up for it.. seems to come natural.. what a great teacher, i would make.. i know how to get a smile from my students.. 🙂  keep them interested, pay attention.,,

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

in my defense, the lift dropped down, and the weed eater caught the ground caught the ground, at the tip,,.. im sure it had nothing to do with Bud..

i might be able to get replacement parts.. i fired the motor up, an couldnt get the blade to spin,, for some reason afterwards.. 🙂🥶

still got to show ya the adapters.....

DSCN2785.JPG

DSCN2786.JPG

DSCN2787.JPG

DSCN2788.JPG

Edited by LedFTed
  • Sad 1

some of the pictures i posted came out almost right, cept the blending part. if i could, i'd like to edit, my own pictures. the ATV dont have tractor tires, however, the shaft is bent, from the tractor, is it software, that changes my pictures, or my PC? the last picture, looks like its lined up, with the 2000es..

best they can, from someone who has seen neither..

My old Troy Built 4 cycle weed eater almost went in the trash this week. It refused to start and is 20+ years old. Decided to try buying a carb kit from Amazon first for $15. It came with new carb, fuel lines, spark plug, gaskets, 2 fuel filters, 2 extra primer bulbs, and other parts I’m not sure what they are. Put the carb and fuel lines on and it started on the second pull and runs great. Maybe good for another 20+ years. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, 01RUBY500 said:

My old Troy Built 4 cycle weed eater almost went in the trash this week. It refused to start and is 20+ years old. Decided to try buying a carb kit from Amazon first for $15. It came with new carb, fuel lines, spark plug, gaskets, 2 fuel filters, 2 extra primer bulbs, and other parts I’m not sure what they are. Put the carb and fuel lines on and it started on the second pull and runs great. Maybe good for another 20+ years. 

I pleased how well these elcheapo carbs and kits work.  I've done an old Craftsman 2 stoke weed whacker and a 4  stroke mini tiller with these.  Both run great now.

• Like 1

Mrs bcs bought me my Echo straight shaft string trimmer plus cutter blade kit back in 1995.  That sucker still runs and does it's job.  I left the cutter blade on it and bought a used Craftsman straight shaft trimmer 2 years ago for string trimming.  That cutter blade sure works good back in the woods getting rid of small tree shoots around areas I want to cut wood.

And Ted you brought back memories, my first car was a 1965 Barracuda with a 273 engine 4 speed.  Oh man that car was fun to drive.....

• Like 1

I have a Red Max with a vegetation groomer/cattail cutter head on it. I use it to clear a stream access point so i can check my crawfish trap. I used that TrueFuel in it—that stuff lasted for at least a year. RedMax fired on first pull.

It comes with a small pontoon so you can cut from the water into the shoreline 

heres a random pic from the website Weeders Digest; they sell it.

76E7D482-ADF3-4DC7-AE93-90F4C40A4174.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Goober said:

I have a Red Max with a vegetation groomer/cattail cutter head on it. I use it to clear a stream access point so i can check my crawfish trap. I used that TrueFuel in it—that stuff lasted for at least a year. RedMax fired on first pull.

It comes with a small pontoon so you can cut from the water into the shoreline 

heres a random pic from the website Weeders Digest; they sell it.

76E7D482-ADF3-4DC7-AE93-90F4C40A4174.jpeg

Now that's slick.  I started using canned premix on the Craftsman 2 stroke I keep at Mom's place.  4 bucks for 40:1 does her yard all season.

I got ECHO weed eaters , blowers , etc , got one weed eater with string and the other with the blade , find you need the biggest weed eater you can get for the blade , mine is the biggest 2 stroke ECHO and will work but after trying out the neighbors' big 4 stroke with a blade , there is no comparison  , I don't think I could choke  his down if I wanted to 

I also use a ECHO   ---  SRM-225U GRASS TRIMMER /BRUSH CUTTER -- works real good

I don't use a weedeater much, but the one I'm still running is a John Deere 210G, which at some point I figured out was (IIRC) an echo 2100.

It's from the late 80's/ early 90's.  Still works fine.  I have a newer John Deere unit that I bought at a charity auction thinking the 210G wouldn't last much longer, but it just keeps going and going.  Haven't ever even put gas in the new unit.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I don't use a weedeater much, but the one I'm still running is a John Deere 210G, which at some point I figured out was (IIRC) an echo 2100.

It's from the late 80's/ early 90's.  Still works fine.  I have a newer John Deere unit that I bought at a charity auction thinking the 210G wouldn't last much longer, but it just keeps going and going.  Haven't ever even put gas in the new unit.

working HVAC, ya see some anomalies, from time to time. i think i was most impressed, by a water heater from the 30's, still working.. big water heater, big money, big house... an old GE refrigerator, from a different  job, if ya had seen it ya wouldnt believe it still worked. still kept the beer cold.

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 2

got the replacement shaft, the red max is back. it only cost 53, for not paying attention. lucky this time.., the person got a new supply, i dont plan or buying anymore shafts.

got to say, learning, is expensive., an self inflicted.. school of hard knocks. the only school ya need.

heard the uni-bomber gets out of prison soon. just wonder what university he will teaching your kids at..???

• Like 1

Red-Max is back... only $53., for this mistake. got off lucky.. my stuff, i can afford to make a mistake on, not fixing other peoples stuff. i pay more attention then, i have too..

got lucky on the replacement shaft, could have bought more, replacement shafts,  just dont plan on making this mistake again.

i know i wont...

yep, Echo here for me too.  Spent a couple hours Sunday afternoon around the pond edge. with the lack of rain, the water is about 2 feet off bank so I've been able to get down into the thick stuff.

my echo is the straight steel shaft 410 unit..big ol 47cc beasty that just doesn't give up.

I did grin and think about our forum though at one point, the screw that holds the trigger grip on the handlebar had vibrated loose (note to self, locktite)..anyway...I had the option of stopping my progress and trying to find a replacement screw and nut, or, grab a zip tie out of the utility basket on the Fourtrax.... Ya'll know which repair route I took. (grin)

• Like 2

I have a STIHL FS38 with the muffler mod lol. Removed the spark arrestor & bought the tool to tweak the high & low. She’s got a lot more jam now! When I lived back east had a straight shaft Husqvarna. Can’t remember the size but a larger one. 

• Like 1

yeah, it was a toss-up between Stihl and Echo..both great brands....it came down to me having a local farmer's exchange shop that also does their own repairs just 3 miles up the road and no Stihl dealer close by, so I went the Echo route few years back and have been very pleased.

the smaller weed whacker has the attachments, so, weed eating (surprised at how tough it is) and then the pole saw gets a lot of work.

both units will run longer and harder than this old boy can these days.

• Like 1

sorry for repeating, it happens when ya get old.. got an echo SRM 225, it runs fine, but when ya shut if off, it floods the carb. hence the red max..  i bought a stihl, it was to heavy, for me... so i traded it in on the red max. i dont regret this. it would be nice to figure out what happened to the 225. i might have mixed up the carb kit.. was working on a chain saw, carb or two, at the same time. i might have got the parts mixed up. it could happen. i heard their was a special valve to stop this, so it makes me wonder, if this is a common problem..?

17 hours ago, Wheeler said:

I found the Echos heavy..?

the big 47cc brush cutter is their largest unit..and yeah, it's heavy.  I need to remind myself to start at the back of the 2 acre pond and work my way towards the house, cause when I do it backwards, i'm tired and it's a long hoof with that unit on my shoulder back to the garage.

the smaller PAS system is a little 20 something cc rig...nice and lightweight...works surprisingly hard on tall grass and the pole saw..just have to go a little slower, but it gets it done with a lot less weight.

but being honest, everything seems heavier these days..gettin old.

• Like 3