Fishfiles

Internet /TV

There are no options where I live except Hughes net which wasn’t very good and att fixed which pulls from a cell tower. Starlink will be available by the end of the year in my area. 

we can stream tv and movies with only rare speed issues 

Pic of the fixed wireless antenna 

79EF500E-EDC4-42C4-8307-A30D910BA36C.jpeg

• Like 1

I tested my speeds this morning and got 64mbps down/45mbps up on speedtest.net from servers in Indianapolis, IN and in St Louis, MO. Pings were a bit high to those two cities at 81ms-84ms though. Those two tests were on 4G only since my secondary 5G signals would not connect this morning. Whenever the 5G secondary signals do connect though, my download speeds increase about 30% while upload speeds remain about the same at around 45mbps. Not bad for $50 a month with no speed limits or data caps out in the boonies, 15 miles from the nearest cell tower! 🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I book marked that speed tester , just tried it agin 201.4

That rips!!!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, retro said:

That rips!!!!

I am good , the wife appreciates the quality of the picture , so it is worth the pain in her eyes , speaking of eyes , we  can actually read the channel guide now 

Played around with it today , went out and bought a 4 way powered splitter that is 4K , and got both TVs  working off the wifi  system -------   both TVs play  the picture and sound off theTV speakers , just can't get the cable box sound thru the sound system yet -- that 4way splitter was all I could get , got the extra two spots  now  to add a couple more TVs for them parties , gonna be like a sports bar 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

" he used a meter and said the number was 17"

He's probably referring to the ping time. (Response time - from sending to receiving a response) 17 msec is normal.  You can use speediest.net to find out your ping time, download and upload rates. The upload and download rates will usually be much higher if directly connected to the router instead of wifi... but we all use wifi these days.

12 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, retro said:

I tested my speeds this morning and got 64mbps down/45mbps up on speedtest.net from servers in Indianapolis, IN and in St Louis, MO. Pings were a bit high to those two cities at 81ms-84ms though. Those two tests were on 4G only since my secondary 5G signals would not connect this morning. Whenever the 5G secondary signals do connect though, my download speeds increase about 30% while upload speeds remain about the same at around 45mbps. Not bad for $50 a month with no speed limits or data caps out in the boonies, 15 miles from the nearest cell tower! 🙂

That's pretty good for 4G.  In rural Wales, we used to have to get the sheep lined up to receive a good signal 🙂 (US colleagues - think of Wyoming)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/24/2021 at 8:40 AM, CamKnouff said:

Just switched over to Starlink, I have no cell reception and can not get a land line.  Unlimited data; needed to purchase their dish $800, and $144 a month, a bit of an outlay but much better than previous deal.

PING ms
 DOWNLOAD Mbps
 UPLOAD Mbps

Previous supplier - went to watch hockey - in 5 minutes of clock time had 3 minutes and 8 seconds of buffing- cancelled and then Starlink became available here; big improvement and now watching and enjoying the play offs.

Wow! Those prices have increased.  But I'm impressed with the download / upload rates.  Do you have any periods of no service? (out of satellite range?)

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

got the extra two spots  now  to add a couple more TVs for them parties , gonna be like a sports bar 

I can identify with that!

I can't help but wonder how all of those Starlink satellites could survive after a few of them get taken out by a meteor shower, some space junk or a rocket launch that requires corrective manuvers but don't quite make it back on trajectory? Because they are spaced so densely with orbits resembling long strings of train cars stretching around the globe... seems like a minor space wreck could cause a major chain of events, sorta like tipping multiple rows of dominos down by bumping any one of them.... if a bunch of those satellites trashed there could be fields of junk scattered all around the earth. Might take out military & communications rigs too, and prevent future space travel launches from navigating through the debris fields if something like that ever happens. I just don't think high density orbits are a good idea.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, slowindown said:

Jeep I just tested my att fixed wireless speed and am posting a pic of the results below. I’ll try and remember to check this evening and do the same when I imagine speeds are slower bc of more people at home. Anyway if you’re a reasonable distance from an att tower you might consider that. 

Our plan is 350 gb. We’ve never gone over, even when kids come home for the holidays and whatnot. We cut the cord so all our tv is streaming. 

A7634F8E-8745-47A4-8CFF-E72D25C31E72.jpeg

as expected slower at night 

A9666844-2224-4D6B-9779-5CC612949C8D.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, retro said:

I can't help but wonder how all of those Starlink satellites could survive after a few of them get taken out by a meteor shower, some space junk or a rocket launch that requires corrective manuvers but don't quite make it back on trajectory? Because they are spaced so densely with orbits resembling long strings of train cars stretching around the globe... seems like a minor space wreck could cause a major chain of events, sorta like tipping multiple rows of dominos down by bumping any one of them.... if a bunch of those satellites trashed there could be fields of junk scattered all around the earth. Might take out military & communications rigs too, and prevent future space travel launches from navigating through the debris fields if something like that ever happens. I just don't think high density orbits are a good idea.

They're not spaced densely.  They're initially in a train and spread out.  There's also lots of redundancy.  Space is mostly empty - that's why we call it space. lol

• Like 1

I couldn't have nothing below 100 this my current speeds but getting 500/500 next month.

Screenshot_20210526-232135_Speedtest.jpg

Edited by SeekanDestroy
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, SparkyMark said:

Wow! Those prices have increased.  But I'm impressed with the download / upload rates.  Do you have any periods of no service? (out of satellite range?)

High $, but remember that is in Canadian dollars.  Yes I have had outages, only a few and not for that long, I think one about 15 minutes and a couple of a few minutes. Not sure why? 

Alright 111 , Spectrum tech just left , he spent 2.5 hours with me and got the surround sound / dual TV set up and tweaked out , actually better than it was with DirectV/ATT  , even the Air TV is going thru the surround  sound  ---- got to say so far I like Spectrum ---- I have one more deal with them coming up , they are going to bore from the street to the house and bury the temporary wire under ground ---- just checked the speed 228.63 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, CamKnouff said:

High $, but remember that is in Canadian dollars.  Yes I have had outages, only a few and not for that long, I think one about 15 minutes and a couple of a few minutes. Not sure why? 

Ahh - that makes sense 🙂

Another mile stone reached , my desk top never does have commercials or adds  on videos or You Tube , where my outside smart TV  " did " ,  so I was told that Google charges $10 per month for no commercials on YouTube ------  once I learned the procedure , it is very easy to stop the ads and commercials  , takes about 2 minutes to be ad for free , if anyone is interested 

• Like 2

We went rounds with Charter cable years ago. Our house is off the road a good bit and they said they couldn't run the cable to our house because the quality would be reduced. When I made the statement that yall run cable thousands  of miles down the road and it is fine, I got no response other than " we cant do it" Very next day a tech that was in the area came by and asked if we wanted cable. I told him what had just happened and he looked confused. He said that we would probably have to get the cable ran up to the closest pole but they would connect it. I wasn't spending that money. We dumped Direct TV when the prices kept going up. We have had Century link for phone and internet for years now and I have no complaints. Hulu, Netflix, and Motortrend, and Prime is more than we can ever watch.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 7:03 AM, Fishfiles said:

Another mile stone reached , my desk top never does have commercials or adds  on videos or You Tube , where my outside smart TV  " did " ,  so I was told that Google charges $10 per month for no commercials on YouTube ------  once I learned the procedure , it is very easy to stop the ads and commercials  , takes about 2 minutes to be ad for free , if anyone is interested 

Well.....we're waiting!

• Like 2

aint that in Mega bits per second instead of MB's per second. i suppose its good, so far..

On 6/9/2021 at 1:27 PM, LedFTed said:

aint that in Mega bits per second instead of MB's per second. i suppose its good, so far..

Megabits is correct.

On 6/1/2021 at 9:52 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Well.....we're waiting!

I can't find that video of how I did it  

For ads-free Youtube vids and music on Android phones try the Youtube Vanced app.

https://youtubevanced.com/

For ads-free Youtube that works on all Android-based TV devices try Smart Youtube TV.

https://troypoint.com/youtube-without-ads/

Smart Youtube TV works great, be sure you install the most recent version and keep the app updated.

Both of those apps are free.

• Like 2