CodyB

2001 rubicon 500

I recently bought a rubicon off a guy and he just replaced the oil pump as it **** the bed on him. Worked great until that happened no noises or anything. After he replaced the pump he took it for a test drive up his road and when he went to turn around it wouldn't go anywhere. Fast forward to After I purchased it from him: it wants to try and go forward even in neutral and reverse but wont go unless you switch it to manual shift and have it in 3rd or higher. Which it will go but with some resistance. After doing that we tried reverse again and it ended up reversing. Haven't had time to rip it apart yet just figured I'd get some opinions before I get home from work.

Welcome Cody to ATVHonda , would guess that Rubicon is a Hondamatic , I hear everyone say that the oil level and condition is extremely important on the Hondamatic and other than that , when they do  bite the dust , they are stone cold dead ---  have read about people that rebuild them , but parts are not available from Honda for them , only a complete unit for around $2,000 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I'm not 100% certain that it would be the hondamatic that is screwed up or if buddy didn't put it back together properly. I figured if the tranny was messed it wouldn't move at all. I'm going to jack up all the tires and see if it wants to spin when not on the ground 

Alright , when you said oil pump I was thinking of a transmission oil pump since transmission problems is the problem , so he must have done the engine oil pump -----     I just looked ,  the Hondamatic doesn't give a breakdown of the transmission -----  besides a clutch problem , don't think there is much else it could be then in the transmission  , but I don't know  Hondamatics ------   just seen the assembly price is $1,775 from partzilla , so shipping and tax would be about $2,000 

I'm sure someone experienced in the Hondamatics will be along 

My local Honda has all the parts for the transmission for 1800 but if I could find the problem without completely rebuilding it that would great. Once I get time to look at it I'll find out more. Have to do an engine swap in my truck first. 

5 hours ago, CodyB said:

My local Honda has all the parts for the transmission for 1800 but if I could find the problem without completely rebuilding it that would great. Once I get time to look at it I'll find out more. Have to do an engine swap in my truck first. 

if it wont move ?, chances are, that $ 1800.00 dollar part is your problem, its the main thing that makes it move. unless you have a tranny gear issue ? ( highly doubtful ), i see no other answer to fix it.

56 minutes ago, shadetree said:

if it wont move ?, chances are, that $ 1800.00 dollar part is your problem, its the main thing that makes it move. unless you have a tranny gear issue ? ( highly doubtful ), i see no other answer to fix it.

Won't move in 1st or 2nd. You are probably right but I've been looking through all the forums and haven't come across this issue

30 minutes ago, CodyB said:

Won't move in 1st or 2nd. You are probably right but I've been looking through all the forums and haven't come across this issue

my money says the hondamatic is bad..but hey..what do i know ?..lol.

Down load your manual from this site and check for codes per chapter 23. And like Fish says, oil level is important and the oil needs to be clean.