Fifthcorps

1993 TRX300FW Rear Lamp

Good morning everyone. Just acquired this TRX on Saturday. The lamp mounted to the left side in the rear does not work. Bulb and socket are fine. I'm not sure what this lamp is for but it does look stock based on the bracket but I may be wrong. Has anyone seen one of these lamps before? I'm heavily arthritic and haven't been feeling well enough the last few days to get under and trace the wiring. If one of you has seen these lamps before do you know what it is wired to? Also the headlamps stay on all the time when the key is on, makes no difference if the switch is off. Any ideas? Thanks in advance and have a great day. 

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome aboard.  The rear light appears to be a factory brake light that was optional. 

As for the headlights, that could be a switch or wiring that has been modified by a previous owner.  Will likely require tracing the wires from the lights to the switch, which on a 300 is pretty easy once you have the front fender off.

hard to say fifthcorps ?, some models outside usa came with brake lights, some did not. they very well could have came already installed on your atv ?, or, the previous owner installed them ?. either way, they could be more tail lights ?, or added brake lights from him/her ?, or they came from the factory with them already installed ?. as jeep said, time to trace the wires, and see where they plug into ?. if they are in fact brake lights ?, then you will have a brake light microswitch on one of the brake levers at the bars ?, or, its made on the frame for the rear brake foot lever near the foot brake. welcome to the best atv source on the net !.

Many thanks Shadetree. My knees haven't been cooperating enough lately for me to do much tracing underneath. Hopefully in a few days. 

I disassembled the headlamp switch and sure enough it was shorted closed. No big deal for now, they work so I'll  address that later. I've noticed that looking through the wiring diagram in the manual that the microswitch on the left handlebar brake lever and the two wires on the right handlebar brake lever are not in the diagrams. Any idea why and where the lead? 

25 minutes ago, Fifthcorps said:

I disassembled the headlamp switch and sure enough it was shorted closed. No big deal for now, they work so I'll  address that later. I've noticed that looking through the wiring diagram in the manual that the microswitch on the left handlebar brake lever and the two wires on the right handlebar brake lever  are not in the diagrams. Any idea why and where the lead? 

What I think you have is a 1993TRX300FW AN ---the AN is what is making it different , it you look at these  prints , you can see the tail light and the micro switch on one of the brake levers ) 31 on the second print )  like you mentioned -------   I  don't see a second micro switch on the other lever , and I can see the brake switch on the foot pedal in the 3rd print , I think this brake set up was for one state only here in the USA and maybe for countries  that required a brake light , as far as a wiring diagram , I have studied a lot of wiring diagrams for the 300s ----  I have never seen one that showed  brake light wiring , so I think you are going to be on your own to trace out the wiring 

image.png 

image.png 

image.png

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

What I think you have is a 1993TRX300FW AN ---the AN is what is making it different , it you look at these  prints , you can see the tail light and the micro switch on one of the brake levers ) 31 on the second print )  like you mentioned -------   I  don't see a second micro switch on the other lever , and I can see the brake switch on the foot pedal in the 3rd print , I think this brake set up was for one state only here in the USA and maybe for countries  that required a brake light , as far as a wiring diagram , I have studied a lot of wiring diagrams for the 300s ----  I have never seen one that showed  brake light wiring , so I think you are going to be on your own to trace out the wiring 

image.png 

image.png 

image.png

Thanks a ton. That is definitely the setup I have. Where did you find that? I can't make out the watermark with my bad eyes.

Edited by Fifthcorps

I found the magnifying tool to see the watermark. Thanks a lot. It is the setup I have and that answers a lot of questions. According to online info the AN was California.

Those print came from Partzilla , when you look up a TRX300FW , sometimes there will be slight differences to some models  and they will add a letter behind the model number to designate that , I looked under the AN --- I see your in Vermont , I think it was Maine that required the brake light I have seen Maine listing before , maybe the  ATV is a Maine model , or maybe Vermont has the same requirements 

TRX300FW A - FOURTRAX 300 4X4
TRX300FW AN - FOURTRAX 300 4X4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fifthcorps said:

I found the magnifying tool to see the watermark. Thanks a lot. It is the setup I have and that answers a lot of questions. According to online info the AN was California.

Wow , California , eh !!! 

I looked at my both 300 service manuals and neither of them have any reference to the AM or AN and neither manuals' wiring schematics show the brake light wiring option , you might find something on the net , but think you are going to be on your own figuring out the wiring  

2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I looked at my both 300 service manuals and neither of them have any reference to the AM or AN and neither manuals' wiring schematics show the brake light wiring option , you might find something on the net , but think you are going to be on your own figuring out the wiring  

Not a problem. Thanks for the effort and help. Much appreciated. 

My guess is they are running the ground thru the switches , you could reverse your 12v test light by clamping the positive with the alligator clip end  and hunting for grounds with the probe , then trace it around 

I'm still catching up in the threads, (late as always)  i have added one of those honda brake lights, i did mine to work just off the front hydraulic brakes with a banjo brake pressure switch piped into the t-fitting (pics) id like to know what you find out being yours is a factory setup, i thought about doing the wiring, and micro switches etc, but the time it would have taken, was time i just didn't have, this is an older pic, the connects are now soldered and shrink wrapped (water tight) so far it worked great! especially with that superbright led, it's almost  blinding bright, the only draw back is it works only with front brakes, but doesn't take very much pressure at all, i can't even feel the brakes before the light comes on, which is what i wanted.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm planning on removing the plastics soon and that should help me see where things are wired. I'll keep you posted

• Like 1