Bossdaddy

2001 Honda Foreman 450 ES, shifting problems

That is a beautiful and very valuable red 300 ya got there! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Before we get back to our troubleshooting I want to let you know that I picked up the loaner ECM that you sent back to me from the post office the other day. I just opened the package a bit ago to put that ECM away and I found some cash taped to the ECM, which I believe belongs to you? So just letting you know that I want to mail that back to you the next time that I run to the post office. I really appreciate your donation, but my reasoning is that I am having fun here doing something that I love to do... and finding opportunities to share experiences and help others is one of the reasons why we founded this forum. Honestly, I cannot thank you enough for what you've offered and done for me. Please allow me to return the favor? 😀

Ok back to the tests, the resistance spec for the Oil  temp sensor is 9.5k ohms to 10.5k ohms @68 degrees F. and yours measures high, so the thermistor embedded inside your Oil temp sensor has decayed and is out of specification. The last time I priced an Oil temp sensor (about a year ago) the cost was way overpriced at about $50 for a new one. I have a used oil temp sensor that measures within spec ( @Fishfiles donated to me) that I will send to you at no cost to solve that issue for now.

Every other test result you listed above were within spec and lit the test light, except for the fact that the fan motor did not run when you grounded the Light Blue oil temp sensor wire. So next reach in to check for motor bearing play and rotate the fan blades by hand. The fan motor should rotate easily and the bearings should feel smooth and have no vertical play in them. A small amount of end-play in the shaft is normal though.

If the motor turns free and easy and has good bearings in it, unplug the 4p connector from the FCU and jumper wire from the positive battery terminal to the Blue wire. Jumper from a frame ground and touch the Green wire inside the 4p FCU connector. The fan motor should run strong. If the fan motor fails to run, unplug the fan motor Blue wire and the Green wire bullet connectors at the end of the fan motor sub-harness and jumper those same Blue and Green wires from the battery positive and ground like you did inside the 4p FCU connector. The fan should run strong.

Back to the ES shift troubleshooting, unplug the 2p carburetor heater connector from the harness and see if it shifts while your battery charger is connected to the battery.

• Like 3

Unplugged carburetor heater and it did not shift. Jumper positive post to blue wire and  fan motor ran before I hooked ground up. NOTE: the motor was frozen, I got it to break loose it turned freely and ran good. The guy I got it from has probably never ran it long enough for the fan to even come on there is no telling how long it has been since it even tried to run. 

Great! Now plug the FCU connector (and/or fan motor bullet connectors if you unplugged them) back in to the FCU. Turn the key on and ground the Light Blue wire that connects to the Oil temp sensor. Does the fan motor run and the red oil temp light on the display meter illuminate while the Light Blue wire is grounded?

I’m confused if everything is plugged in what light blue wire are we talking about. I checked light blue wire in 2p connector both harness and spade. Got red light on light blue spade but motor did not run. 

Ooops, sorry my bad. Unplug the 2p FCU harness connector and jumper from the positive battery terminal to the Pink wire spade inside the Fan control unit. Then momentarily jumper from ground to the Light Blue wire spade inside the Fan control unit.

Great! Your cooling fan troubleshooting is complete. All you need is a replacement Oil temp sensor that I'll send to you.

Back to the ES issue, plug everything back in and then turn the key on, off and back on. Don't switch the ignition on and off like you're in a hurry, just do it like you'd normally do. See if it shifts.

Don't pause while turning the key on and off though.

Oh crap, I’ve got to go. My son will be here shortly to pick me up , we’re going coyote hunting tonight. Thanks, have a good night, I’ll be back tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Ok thanks. I need to call it a day too and finish up outdoors. I want to read this thread through again too. Have a good evening!

HI Retro --- I have gone through this thread a couple of times now -- going step by step -- over and over the wiring diagram -- going through all your steps --- its like trying to win the Loto

• Like 2

Yup Mel, I can't figure out how we gettin' beat? Every wire, every connector in every circuit have been tested more than once and where possible we tested circuits carrying current loads. We even tested a few things that are irrelevant to ES function just to explore illogical possibilities. We must have made a mistake somewhere though? I'm still battling but need to pull a rabbit outta my hat right now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, retro said:

Yup Mel, I can't figure out how we gettin' beat? 

Maybe I could  hook you'll up with my ex-wife , a cigar , a candle ,  a bottle of liquor and a live chicken , if your not into VooDoo , then maybe burn a candle , get a bottle of holy water , say a prayer and a get a priest to do an exorcism 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

You guys did a great and through job, I figure the problem is me , I probably did the test wrong and gave you bad info, but what a learning experience. If we mark the project off then I'll change it over to a mechanical shift and one of the grandsons will ride the heck out of it. Retro I'm still smiling and very appreciative of the help I got. I got other projects that I need help on and this is where I'll come to for advice. By the way the coyote hunt was a mess, no wind and the mosquitoes were hungry , the repellant I believe attracted them. The night before my son got 2 coyotes, a wild hog and a skunk. 

Edited by Bossdaddy
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Bossdaddy said:

By the way the coyote hunt was a mess, no wind and the mosquitoes were hungry , the repellant I believe attracted them. The night before my son got 2 coyotes, a wild hog and a skunk. 

Look for Swamp Juice , seems as good as any for them mosquitos 

• Like 1

Hi Retro: I may have missed reading if you had Bossdaddy jumper the Shift Up & Dn buttons when everything was plug in --- I seen where it was tested with 12 VDC with ECM out.

• Like 1

I cannot remember Mel, but lets try it eh!

Key off, unplug the handlebar switches 3p connector. Turn key on, inside the harness side of that connector jumper between the Black/Red and the White/Blue. See if it shifts?

Then jumper between the Black/Red and the White/Yellow. See if it shifts?

The Black/Red to ground should measure 5 volts DC while the key is on.

Thanks Bossdaddy. I gotta clear my head and start again. I'll be back as soon as I can.

On 6/25/2021 at 4:31 PM, Bossdaddy said:

I haven't seen them that bad in a while. 

This is the stuff for bugs , it is a small bottle but does go a long way , it spreads thin , was using it last night at dusk when  them deer flies came out 

fullsizeoutput_ec3.jpeg

• Like 1

There is no DEET in it? What is the active ingredient? Does it say how it works on the bottle?

I am going to get the bottle in a few !!! 

The active ingredient is 20%  Geraniol 

fullsizeoutput_ec4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1