Bossdaddy

2001 Honda Foreman 450 ES, shifting problems

Thanks again, I wasn't aware of that but it is what it is. I thought I had screwed something else up. 

• Like 1

A little update on the 2001. I let the friend I got the 2001 from have his bike back for what I gave him for it. He is happy as can be, he had had the bike for years and was really glad to get it back. He is aware of the work you guys put into trying to fix it and is very appreciative of your effort. Thanks guys for making him happy. 

• Like 2

6month old thread its worth a shot im having a similar issue also with a 2001 foreman. everything is checking out good. but I cannot get power to the shift motor. there's a few test in here ima go try and pick my brain. But just saying this thread is the most helpful thing I've found all week. all this hard work yall have done will not be wasted

20220201_182305.jpg

• Like 1

JEaston, I hope the thread helps, the two guys that walked me thru this are great guys and really good on the electric stuff and probably other things too. Good luck!!

• Like 1

I need to recheck this I think I checked the wrong side last time...

Screenshot_20220203-205717_Chrome.jpg

Edited by JEaston

Maybe retro or Melatv will see this and get involved, they are super good. I wish I could help but I would probably make it worst. Good Luck.

I'm pretty sure the ECU may be shot but I'm trying to decipher a way to test if the ecu is receiving the signal to command shift when buttons are pressed. everything checks out per the service manual but no power being sent to motor. My thinking is if I can verify it's receiving the command to shift the issue would be ecu not putting out power.

6 hours ago, JEaston said:

I'm pretty sure the ECU may be shot but I'm trying to decipher a way to test if the ecu is receiving the signal to command shift when buttons are pressed. everything checks out per the service manual but no power being sent to motor. My thinking is if I can verify it's receiving the command to shift the issue would be ecu not putting out power.

If every other test passed (Healthy, fully charged battery, neutral light, power to the ECU 5p connector, continuity from 5p connector to shift motor, 5 volts supplying the shift switches and Angle sensor, Angle sensor resistance checks, shift switches etc.) then you're probably right about the ECU failing. Make sure that the ECU terminals and 5p and 16p connectors are clean and the plugs are fully seated in the ECU before buying a replacement. Also apply battery voltage to the shift motor to insure that it works before you get a new ECU.

Let us know if we can help ya.

• Like 1

I now this isnt very technical, but I have read where some have removed the ECU and baked at low heat in an oven, with some success.  Maybe it would repair it enough to tell you if the ECU was bad,  Some have said the heat temp repaired the ECU and some have said it lasted much longer.  To me its worth a shot before spending $$$ on a new one.  Somewhere there is a guide for how long to heat and what temp, hopefully someone here can fill in the details....

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 6:23 PM, bcsman said:

I now this isnt very technical, but I have read where some have removed the ECU and baked at low heat in an oven, with some success.  Maybe it would repair it enough to tell you if the ECU was bad,  Some have said the heat temp repaired the ECU and some have said it lasted much longer.  To me its worth a shot before spending $$$ on a new one.  Somewhere there is a guide for how long to heat and what temp, hopefully someone here can fill in the details....

I know that works (sometimes) on the 300's and older models.

Not sure about the newer models.  I'd like to see what the newer ones look like under that molding that covers them.

Baked @ 300° for 25min no change. ended up doing a bypass harness for now. It was direct plug and play and required absolutely ZERO cutting and splicing so the stock harness is still unmolested while I try to source a parts bike. ordered Friday recieved Sunday and installed in 5min or less

Screenshot_20220207-124536_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Like 2

seen the baking trick work for years on cdi boxes and fan contollers but never on the ECU's for the ES models

Seems most of the time when they are bad they have been shorted and have internal parts actually failed/burned up

• Like 1

Evening everyone - newbie to forums of any kind really - But this has been a treasure trove of good stuff. Retro and Melatv sure seem to know their ES monsters. I have a 1999 trx450 ES that works fine as a manual shifter but ES is not functional. So I have been following this from beginning to end and have hit a point where the answers are not addressing "if it doesn't,  then...?" Im there... got to probing the gear switch on page 9 and got bunk. My neutral light, reverse light, etc. all work and show where the transmission is, but I get no reading at the 16pin ECM harness connector. Light/Green Red, Grey, White/Green, and light blue/white do not illuminate when probed. I would LOVE not to sink 297.00 into a new ECM and return whats being delivered in 2 days. I will consider a bypass kit but thought it prudent to see if this old dog (me/or the atv, jury is still out) still has some tricks. thanks

Retro and Melatv are super guys, I know I ran them thru the mill. Looking back on that experience I feel sure my harness was bad. I'll never know . The friend that owns the one we were working on is still riding it with the manual shifter I built for it . Good luck on fixing yours.

15 hours ago, 10thumbs said:

Evening everyone - newbie to forums of any kind really - But this has been a treasure trove of good stuff. Retro and Melatv sure seem to know their ES monsters. I have a 1999 trx450 ES that works fine as a manual shifter but ES is not functional. So I have been following this from beginning to end and have hit a point where the answers are not addressing "if it doesn't,  then...?" Im there... got to probing the gear switch on page 9 and got bunk. My neutral light, reverse light, etc. all work and show where the transmission is, but I get no reading at the 16pin ECM harness connector. Light/Green Red, Grey, White/Green, and light blue/white do not illuminate when probed. I would LOVE not to sink 297.00 into a new ECM and return whats being delivered in 2 days. I will consider a bypass kit but thought it prudent to see if this old dog (me/or the atv, jury is still out) still has some tricks. thanks

Sounds like you have a continuity problem between the gear position switch and the ECU.

I don't think they illuminate when probed if using a test light.  They should have continuity to ground when in a particular gear.  Download the factory service manual and look on page 21-29.

That said, if your meter all works fine chances are that the gear position switch and wires from it are fine.

Wiring diagrams are on page 468-469 of the FSM (if looking at pages of the PDF file).

Maybe @retro or @Melatv will chime in.

I convert ES machines to footshift, so I haven't ever spent a lot of time troubleshooting them.