Bossdaddy

2001 Honda Foreman 450 ES, shifting problems

22 minutes ago, Bossdaddy said:

Can someone tell me how to check a angle sensor and what the readings should be?

Personally don't know too much about the ESs , I have seen copies of pages for testing procedures from @retro and @mel posted in different ES threads , I see this page that is interesting , don't know if it applies to your 2001 or just 2014 and up  -----  the second page is first , they got flipped around 

image.pngimage.png

Yeah, leave the angle sensor plugged in, ignition switch off. Unplug the ECM and measure resistance through the Black/Red and Blue/Green wires in the ECM harness connector. You should see between 4K ohms and 6K ohms resistance.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I see this page that is interesting , don't know if it applies to your 2001 or just 2014 and up  -----  the second page is first , they got flipped around 

Ya those are for the newer models

• Like 1

5.26 ohms or 5.26K ohms?  Ya gotta be specific or I'm gonna bug ya 'till you are. LOL

Anyway, 5.26K ohms is a good angle sensor (it will initiate shifts) if that measurement is taken while mounted on the motor.

The angle sensor is off the motor just plugged in. I can put it back on and recheck it if you think I should.

As long as the spindle inside the angle sensor was not rotated at all when you took the sensor off the motor that measurement should be trustworthy.

It could have been moved, I can put it back on, but next is the shift switch 3P natural connector, I don't recognize it where is it located?

The 3p shift switches connector has Black/Red, White/Yellow and White/Blue wires. You can mount the angle sensor back on the motor now that you've checked it.

With the ECM and the Angle sensor plugged in, ignition switch on, you should measure 5 volts DC between the Black/Red wire supplying the shift switches connector and frame ground.

Next then turn the ignition off, and check continuity through the switches while you depress the Up/Down button for each wire color pair like so:

shift-switches.png

• Like 1

The angle sensor is back on reading was the same. I got your next instructions but I don’t know where the 3P connector is located, sorry. 

It is clipped to the frame under the front fender. The fender must be removed to access the connector.

EDIT: hold on a minute and I'll find a picture

Here is the location of the handlebar switches connector:

switches-connector.png

Thanks retro for the picture and all the other help. I'm fumbling thru this, I'll dig it out hopefully tomorrow. I'm just concerned I haven't found anything yet.

8 hours ago, Bossdaddy said:

I'm just concerned I haven't found anything yet.

No worries, you are doing fine! We just now sitting down to the meat & potatoes. 🙂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, retro said:

No worries, you are doing fine! We just now sitting down to the meat & potatoes. 🙂

OK, You Tha Man, I'm lost as a flea on an Apes butt.

I think I'm at the right place and there is no 3P connector here. Am I at the right place? I'm lost!

Greg's wiring.jpg

That lil' bugger is hidden well eh! Here is a picture of a Foreman ES switches assembly I dug out of my parts. Notice that the 3p connector you are looking for branches off from the sub-harness with the 6p green plastic connector on the end. In your photo I can see that same branch near the green connector. So follow that branched bundle of wires about 13 inches and you'll spook 'im out of his hidey hole. :-)

switches.png

I can see that the harness connectors are pretty dirty, so ya may as well open up each one of the remaining pairs of connectors up front there and dielectric grease those connector sockets while you're tinkerin' in that area.

7 minutes ago, retro said:

I can see that the harness connectors are pretty dirty, so ya may as well open up each one of the remaining pairs of connectors up front there and dielectric grease those connector sockets while you're tinkerin' in that area.

Will do, I'm headed to find the clear connector, I see the green one no problem, Thanks

Great! Check the continuity through the female half of the pair. Like so:

shift-switches.png

Then if those switches check out fine, unplug the ECM and check for continuity of each of the same three wire colors from the male half of the 3p switches connector, to the ECM harness connector.