Bossdaddy

2001 Honda Foreman 450 ES, shifting problems

We are running out of circuits to test aren't we?

esp-system-circuit.png

I don't have a clue about what is left to check. I haven't heard from anybody for a while, I thought maybe y'all had given up on this one. I knew you had visitors and I'm sure Melatv has a life besides messing with me all the time. I'm afraid we are not going to find anything. Then I'm screwed. Anyway glad you're back on.

• Like 1

Thanks Fishfiles, very interesting stuff. If all fails I might have to look in to this, I think these guys will get me fixed up.

I am going to read this thread again to see if we missed anything. Be back tomorrow after I study a bit...

I appreciate the effort, I'm afraid I did some of the test wrong and gave you the wrong data. This thing was shifting perfect and quit for no reason just being used normally then for no reason it started shifting normally again for about two days then quit again and has never shift again.

• Like 1

Electrical gremlins can be a major PITA to figure out, but I've had @retro and @Melatv walk me through some tough ones.

Frustrating, but stick with it!

• Like 1

I believe in these guys and I'm not giving up on them. I'm worried more about if I'm doing my part right.

Edited by Bossdaddy
  • Like 1

HI: I am back home again --- Okay lets start with the Battery test -- place your meter leads on the battery and leave them on while doing the test -- take a reading then turn the head lights on for 30 seconds voltage will drop -- turn lights off voltage should ramp back up to what the meter read before turning lights on. what did you see.

• Like 1

Okay battery is good -- bike will start and run? -- when you turn key on bike shows neutral light on display?

Yes, starts and runs. With key on neutral light is on and temp light comes on and goes off, sometimes temp light stays on.

• Like 1

Good -- Unplug the connector for shift up & Dn buttons and check for 5VDC on the Bl/R wire --- everything else plug in

Retro jump in here to help with this trouble shooting

Just now, Melatv said:

Retro jump in here to help with this trouble shooting

I am still rereading this thread but will jump in soon. Thanks Mel.

3 minutes ago, Bossdaddy said:

Help me , which connector is that, location

The 3p connector that branches off from the green connector that is clipped to the frame on the left side of the steering head.

switches.png

Okay connect shift buttons backup again and unplug the angle sensor and check for 5VDC on the Bl/R wire harness side.

Good -- connect the angle sensor backup and (key off) unplug the ECU and check for continuity for the shift Up & DN buttons -- on the Harness side for the ECU check for continuity on the Bl/R to the W/Bu wire when to push the Up button = what? --- then check for continuity on the Bl/R wire to the W/Bu wire when you push the DN button = what?

Lets try again.... with the key off, with the shift switches 3p connector plugged in, with the angle sensor plugged in, unplug the 16p ECM connector. Meter set on continuity (or resistance) mode.

Inside the 16p ECM connector (harness side) check for continuity between the Black/Red and the White/Blue while you are depressing the UP shift button on the handlebar.

Inside the 16p ECM connector (harness side) check for continuity between the Black/Red and the White/Yellow while you are depressing the DOWN shift button on the handlebar.

• Like 1

Retro -- good check for the White/Yellow (not W/Bu)

• Like 1