Bob

Rubicon 500 2001

Hi new member here

I have a 2001 rubicon 500 and my reverse doesn't work properly. Whenever i'm in drive or anything work fine but my reverse when i'm.over 3 kmh keep bucking and it looks like it's gonna shut down. I changed the angle sensor on it bit it didn't work what can be my problem? 

Thanks for the answer if there is

Welcome to the board!

First off, there's a factory service manual in PDF format that's free in the toolbar at the top of the page.

But to start, there are two switches on a Rubicon that have to do with Reverse.  I'm guessing when you put your shifter in reverse, it shows an R on the screen the red R light on the dash is not lighting up.  Is that correct?  If you try pushing harder on the shifter to reverse, and the light comes on, it can be as simple as a linkage adjuster to get the thing all the way into gear to activate the switch.  If that doesn't work, you can remove the left tank cover (where the shifter is) and there's a switch on the bottom of the shifter.  Take that off and check it using the instructions in the service manual on page 22-22 in the service manual.

OR, if you have half a brain, you can do the "reverse mod" that takes those switches out of the equation, and gives you full power and speed in reverse (like you can go 50+ mph in reverse).  DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, and if you go this route, be cognizant of other people riding your Rubicon who might not have a brain.  I did this mod to @basfnb's Rubicon years ago and he loves it.  I plan on doing it to mine, but am going to wire in a toggle switch where i can quickly put it back to stock if I have someone else riding my Rubicon.

Credit to "YAAMULE" over on the old Hondaforeman board that we all left.

Here goes:

This will involve two switches on your Rubicon.

The first is on the gear shifter. It is small and has two wires connected to it. Remove the small screw that holds the switch to the shifter assembly and place the switch behind the shifter, this is done to keep it from operating while in reverse. You can remove entirely but I didn't. I ziptied out of the way, just in case I ever decide to put it back on.

The second switch is the gear position switch, it has 4 wires and is located to the left of the recoil starter. The wires come up and over the recoil starter and connect to a connector mounted on the right frame bar under the seat. They are 4 wires in a square shape. The colors are White, Gray, Light Blue/White, and Light Green. Unhook the connector and you want to use the switch side of the connector to do your modifications. I wouldn't use the Main harness side due to it being more expensive to replace. Remove the tape and sheathing on the gear position switch wiring harness back roughly 3-4 inches. Find your Gray wire and your White wire. You will need to cut the gray wire, leaving enough length to connect it to the white wire. Where you cut the gray wire, use the end that goes to the switch, NOT the end that goes back up to the connector. Take this end and connect it to the white wire. You can solder, crimp, whatever. Just make sure it is solid and you can tape/seal it up. Once you have the gray wire coming from the switch connected to the white wire you can plug the connector back together. Now you Rubicon will go

Original thread.  Notice that as usual, @basfnb is trying to take credit for my work, when all he did was stand there and ask me if I knew what I was doing......

• Like 1

Thank you for the answer but my R light light up when put in reverse. I'll check the switch before doing anything else. Thanks for the reverse mode i'll do that in last resort.

• Like 2

Welcome to ATVHonda Bob!

That rough running is a sort of "limp mode"  It can be caused by the brake levers not being all the way released (push them all the way forwards) or an electrical fault (like the switches).

• Like 1