Cablejesus

13 trx500fm

Hey guys new to the forum I have a 2013 trx500fm that I’m assuming is throwing is 41 code (4 long flashes and 1 short flash) after riding for a little bit the reverse light comes on and the check engine starts flashing it runs great until you cut it off and it will not start you let it set for about 10-15 mins it starts up and runs. The check engine light didn’t come on often until recently now it comes on after about 3 mins of riding. It has me stumped any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Cablejesus, welcome to ATVHonda!

DTC 41 indicates an issue with the gear position switch. Either the harness connector for the gear position switch is dirty/corroded, the wiring harness is damaged, or the gear position switch is failing, or the GP switch was installed improperly while the rear motor cover was put on the motor. See 41-1 on this  DTC chart:

dtc-chart.png

You will need to unplug the gear position switch to inspect the connector. Put some dielectric grease inside that connector after you are through to waterproof it.

You will need a multimeter to test continuity through the different colored switch wires to frame ground, while rocking the Foreman back and forth to shift the transmission into each gear for each of the wire color continuity tests. Refer to this table:

gear-position-sw.png

Let us know what you learn and we'll continue with erasing the DTC codes after the repair is done. You can get your own copy of the service manual for your Foreman from the menu bar link at the top of every page here on our forum for more information and assistance. Have fun!

• Like 1

I should have put in there it’s a foot shift. Would it still have that sensor? Forgive me for asking a dumb question 

• Like 1

The 2nd pic says FM, so yes it is for your footshift....

Edited by TBRider
  • Like 1

Yup, the gear selection is shown on the display meter on 2013 TRX500FM models, since they are fuel-injected. That could explain your reverse light coming on as well as the MIL light coming on and flashing too. You'll have to clear the #41 fault code after you find the problem, so keep us updated as you go if you can.

Hey cable glad you found the best Honda ATV forum out there.  We always like pics of your machine and we do have a chat you can access from the top menu.  We are there mostly in the evenings, give us a try......

• Like 2

The gear position switch tested good while shifting through every gear?

gear-position-sw.png

Yea I did it a couple times just to make sure. I was messing with with wiring harness I unplugged the pgm-fi and had water in one of the connectors not sure if that would have anything do with anything. I may get a switch and replace it to see what it does. 

thanks for everyone replies y’all are awesome 

40 minutes ago, Cablejesus said:

I was messing with with wiring harness I unplugged the pgm-fi and had water in one of the connectors not sure if that would have anything do with anything.

It looks to me like you found the problem since it is the PGM-FI module that throws the gear position switch DTC. So, If I were you I would NOT buy any parts. I would open every harness connector on the ATV to clean with electrical spray then dielectric grease every one of them liberally before snapping them back together. I'll bet a nickel to a dollar that'll fix it for good.

Let us know about it.

• Like 1