bcsman

Make my 98 450ES into a 2 wheel drive Temporarily?

Don't wanna spend almost $400 on a 2 WD/4 WD conversion so asking if I can do this mod?  I'm not using the 4 WD much right now, done hauling wood so am wondering if I can just remove the front driveshaft?  I have disconnected it a few times when doing engine work, not that hard by loosening up the differential. 

First, does the front driveshaft just come off completely or is it attached to the differential? 

Second, if I can remove it is there any damage that could be done to the engine or front drive?  Will the front wheels just turn independently and steer easier?  Thanks for any advice......

• Like 1

I'd tell you that you could run a 2001 down with out a front drive shaft , as the front coupler joint at the diff has a nut that holds that coupler in place against the pinion  , and on the rear side of the drive shaft ,  the coupler could be slide off of  the splined shaft coming out the engine and that shaft would still have a seal around it to keep oil in and dirt out ---  but on the 2002 up , there is no nut on the pinion coupler joint , so it could fall off when riding 

So I guess you are saying it can work as mine is a 2001 and older?  I should look at my spare engine I have to look around the front drive shaft....

4 hours ago, bcsman said:

So I guess you are saying it can work as mine is a 2001 and older?  I should look at my spare engine I have to look around the front drive shaft....

Why would you want to do such a thing ? 

Was thinking about the pinion coupler joint and the bolt that holds it in , that I mentioned above , it is the rear pinion that has the bolt holding the coupler on the 1st gen and not on the second gen >>> the front is made different ,  so I would guess it doesn't matter if it was a 2nd gen 450 2002-2004 ( which is the electric shift diff ) or 1st gen , you could likely take the drive shaft off and the coupler/joint to the front diff would stay in place 

Have seen people turn a 2wd into a 4wd by taking the front cv-shafts apart and leaving the two outer hubs  of the cv-shaft in place to act as a spindle , remove the diff and the drive shaft

It makes ruts in the driveway and lawn when turning I guess would be the main issue.  Figure maybe less wear and tear on the front differential.  Prolly a stupid idea but wanted some opinion on it.  Most likely would not be permanent just for summer driving which doesnt include any need for 4 WD...

I have seen the Wide Open 424 in almost every model  is out of stock  every where , e=bay and amazon only have the DS5000s which is the 500 model , during a search I found this link below , too good to be true , worth checking into 

Wide open DS4500 new $99 

https://www.dnexuzz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=73231

13 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I'm guessing that site is a scam.  Might be worth checking into.

They have a 300 for the same price.....

https://www.dnexuzz.com/wide-open-ds3000-drive-shaft-switch-out-for-honda-trx300fw-p-73279.html

There is one review for this one and it is not good.  Installed, does not work and company wont call back, not a happy purchase......

• Like 1

Just now, bcsman said:

There is one review for this one and it is not good.  Installed, does not work and company wont call back, not a happy purchase......

I actually read that review , but the guy that posted doesn't have it adjusted properly ---- makes me think he got one from them ---don't know what to think ----  I put one in the cart and it let me go that far 

If the ad is real , I should buy 20 , could make a lot of money , seen one new unit this morning on amazon for $599 , they use to cost $369 back when 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bcsman said:

@Fishfiles did you get any word on the $99 Wide Open you put in the cart????

No , have not been back to that site , never got a message from them 

Agree with @jeepwm69 and I believe it's a scam for sure, If you click on contact us the info that shows up doesn't look right.

Too good to be true.

• Like 2

@THH   Grandpa use to always say " if it looks too good to be true , it usually isn't "  !!  But you never know , could be liquidation to the max'sation  by a about to bankrupted company >>>>>>  he used to also always say " you snooze you loose " and " you never know how you look till you had your picture took " , LOL 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, slowindown said:

Grandpa covered all the bases.  lol

That generation had a saying for everything !!! I was for the most part raised by my grand parents , and if I would have followed all their suggestions in life to the fullest ,  I would be better off today , in fact there is no doubt I would be a millionaire right now unless I screwed it up , but might not have had as much fun as I did !!! --- " You can't un-ring a bell " 

• Like 3

@bcsman, To answer your question about removing the front driveshaft to enable temporary 2wd, yes you can do that. But ya gotta cover up the opening on the pinion joint on the front diff after removing the driveshaft to keep water/dirt from rusting the splines on the pinion shaft. A plastic or rubber cap that you could clamp onto the pinion joint would do the trick.

• Thanks 1

Well decided to take things apart and see what I can do. Took the drivers plastic splash and foot rest off, both front tires off, and front skid plate off.  Gave me enough room so didn't take the front rack and full plastic off.  Removed the propeller shaft cover and loosened the front differential.  Was able to slide the differential forward enough to pull the drive off the engine shaft.  Then pulled the drive off the differential.  I tried one idea to cover the front differential pinion joint with a plastic cup and tie strap.  It seems to work but want to put the drive plastic back on and it rubs.  Retro gave the idea of saran wrap and it made my brain ring, I have some black rubber stretchy tape that sticks to itself I think will do the trick.  Then I can complete by putting on the propeller shaft cover.

And boy it really does make driving much nicer, turning seems effortless now.  And it seems like acceleration and take off is much smoother.  So for now gonna leave like it is, not a whole lot of work to put back together firewood cutting time, then I might like the 4 WD....

• Like 2

Maybe now you can appreciate why I  talk so highly of  the 424 kick out so much  , 2wd makes it fun !!!! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Maybe now you can appreciate why I  talk so highly of  the 424 kick out so much  , 2wd makes it fun !!!! 

Agree fish and the price was right!!  This time of year I just ride and have fun and really don't need 4WD and sure you know I don't ride in mud and water.  I did get the propeller cover on as I removed the tie strap and wrapped the plastic cup with the black sticky tape.  So now off to have some fun....whoo hoo.

• Like 1