MarkV

Second Battery

I am installing a winch on my Honda 300 and think I want to run it off a second battery. My lights bar and speakers are running off my main battery. Plan to install it in the trunk area. Any input or advice on this? Can I run the second battery independently for just the winch? I’ve seen a lot about wiring it to the main battery. All advice is much appreciated. 

Hi MarkV, welcome to ATVHonda! @Fishfiles runs two batteries, I'm sure that he'll be along soon to share his setup with ya.

• Like 1

@Fishfiles what all do you have connected to the second battery in the trunk? I plan to use the second battery for my winch only. My main battery will run everything else. I’ve seen a lot of people connect the second battery to their main. 

On my rhino I ran a VSR (voltage sensing relay) like the one I’ll link below. I ran all of my non oem accessories off of the second battery. With a vsr your main battery will always be charged. When it’s fully charged, the vsr sends the additional current to your second battery to keep it charged. That way if you leave your light bar, radio, etc on too long and they run your 2nd battery down your main battery is still charged for starting - it will not allow your accessories to pull power from your main battery. 

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Automatic-Charging/dp/B00BFVHL2I/ref=asc_df_B00BFVHL2I/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241948264947&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14480099667360099083&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014077&hvtargid=pla-570648928063&psc=1

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, MarkV said:

@Fishfiles what all do you have connected to the second battery in the trunk? I plan to use the second battery for my winch only. My main battery will run everything else. I’ve seen a lot of people connect the second battery to their main. 

I got some battery cable and ends , drilled a hole thru the truck into the battery box , ran the wires thru , figured out the best route and length before cutting the cable ,  crimped the ends on , attached positive to positive and negative to negative , also attached the battery tender to one of the batteries , both will be charged at the same time ---- on my 450 I have Duracell batteries , really like they have two places to attache cables on both positive and negative , one on top and one on the side , the Duracell has a two year warranty , and is much heavier than any of the other brands 

image.png

@slowindown I like the vsr idea. My light bar and speakers pretty much run continuously while riding. I know using the winch will drain a battery pretty quick too  

15 hours ago, MarkV said:

@slowindown I like the vsr idea. My light bar and speakers pretty much run continuously while riding. I know using the winch will drain a battery pretty quick too  

It wouldn't hurt to set it up so you could plug your winch into your main battery also in case you had run your second battery down with the light bar and stereo and then got stuck.

On 6/2/2021 at 7:30 PM, slowindown said:

On my rhino I ran a VSR (voltage sensing relay) like the one I’ll link below. I ran all of my non oem accessories off of the second battery. With a vsr your main battery will always be charged. When it’s fully charged, the vsr sends the additional current to your second battery to keep it charged. That way if you leave your light bar, radio, etc on too long and they run your 2nd battery down your main battery is still charged for starting - it will not allow your accessories to pull power from your main battery. 

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Automatic-Charging/dp/B00BFVHL2I/ref=asc_df_B00BFVHL2I/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241948264947&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14480099667360099083&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014077&hvtargid=pla-570648928063&psc=1

Wonder how water proof they are , doesn't say in the ad ----- I use to use battery isolators on my boat batteries , but they never did hold up to the environment  --- now I se a battery swich , 1/2/3/ all , they hold up well , come in a two battery configuration and in a small model 

Did you use blue sea brand isolators like in the Link, which is a marine company or an isolator from another marine company?

mine was mounted under the hood in the battery box. It got wet.  While I rode through about 2’ depth of the pond and some creeks occasionally, I not one to really submarine a machine. I never had any issues with it. 

Edited by slowindown