Bounty Hunter

1996 TRX400FW 424 - Options?

Howdy ATV Honda Brothers and Sisters,

We have a 1996 and a 1997 Honda TRX400FWs...full time four wheel drive. We luv 'em, they are awesome little tanks that can go anywhere we need them to. But, it sure might be nice to have a option to shift to 2WD when desired. We have looked for a 424 kit for these models but it seems it may not be available or never produced...so we were wondering if any other options exist. We have a 2011 Honda Rancher that has a lever to switch from 2WD to 4WD by engaging the drive in the front differential...is there a way to swap a similar diff and lever set up into the older Foremen? (not sure if the final drive ratio is the same, if it would fit, etc...just reaching for ideas). Thanks for reading this, have a Blessed day and Ride Safe

Bounty Hunter

Hi Bounty , I know if there is 424 switch out  for a TRX400 the part number would be Wide Open # DS4000 , I searched that number and  that number doesn't come up , there are DS3500 for the 350s and DS4500 for the 450s , I looked at the drive shafts of the 400 and the 450 and they are different part numbers which don't always mean they are not the same , I do know the 400 and 450 share a lot of parts ----so I don't know if a 450 will fit in the 400 or not ----you need the 450 and the 400 drive shafts lengths to compare , I am 99% sure the splines are the same 

• Like 1

Mac had one for sale a while back

IIRC, the 450 output shaft is bigger than the 400 output shaft.  There's something that keeps the 424 for the 450 from bolting right in, but I don't remember exactly what was different.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Mac had one for sale a while back

IIRC, the 450 output shaft is bigger than the 400 output shaft.  There's something that keeps the 424 for the 450 from bolting right in, but I don't remember exactly what was different.

could cut the 424 and the drive shaft and weld them together like the 1st gen Wide Open 424 mod ----  or maybe use an electric shift 450 2nd gen diff with a switch 9 I have two of thoseI would sell ) , those shaft collars do come off the input shaft 

• Like 1