starblockset

Right Crankcase Cover wont go all the way on (300FW)

So I'm having a bit of trouble and one of the members at the hondatvforums told me to come here. Everything is fully seated, clutch lifting mechanism, reverse lock switch, all the bearings, kickstarter; all that stuff is in place. I just can get the right crankcase cover on until there is about a quarter inch gap and it won't go any further. I've worked on it for hours now and me nor my dad have no idea what's stopping it. I'd like to hear ideas from some of y'all.

Welcome to ATVHonda , what ever you do , don't put bolts in and try to pull it in ,  when it is all aligned right it will push right on -------- I have had luck with wiggling the shifter lever  while pushing in 

• Like 2

Hey star, glad you got the advice to come here.  Must be a reason we are recommended from another Honda forum....lol  Alot of 300 owners and bet you get some help, see fish has already given an idea.

• Like 3

awesome, thanks Fishfiles, ill use that tip. and thanks bcsman!

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Welcome to ATVHonda , what ever you do , don't put bolts in and try to pull it in ,  when it is all aligned right it will push right on -------- I have had luck with wiggling the shifter lever  while pushing in 

I would think the clutch cam plate is what is stopping it from going all the way in , also try loosening up the clutch adjuster all the way ,  

is your clutch lever  perfectly straight like in this first pic , pointing right at the center of the change clutch shaft 

image.png

• Like 2

On 6/15/2021 at 12:56 AM, Fishfiles said:

I would think the clutch cam plate is what is stopping it from going all the way in , also try loosening up the clutch adjuster all the way ,  

is your clutch lever  perfectly straight like in this first pic , pointing right at the center of the change clutch shaft 

image.png

now i wonder where these pic's came from ??..lol. oh wait...they are mine , or they sure look line mine ?. edit: nope. i think these pics are from koolaids trx300fw awhile back.

On 6/14/2021 at 4:36 PM, starblockset said:

So I'm having a bit of trouble and one of the members at the hondatvforums told me to come here. Everything is fully seated, clutch lifting mechanism, reverse lock switch, all the bearings, kickstarter; all that stuff is in place. I just can get the right crankcase cover on until there is about a quarter inch gap and it won't go any further. I've worked on it for hours now and me nor my dad have no idea what's stopping it. I'd like to hear ideas from some of y'all.

first off, make sure everything is where its suppose to be ?, by this, i mean all washers are in place, there should be two washers on the right side ( if my memory is still good ? ) one goes on the reverse shaft, the other larger washer goes on the kick starter shaft. be very careful when installing the cover, if you are not watching what you are doing ?, you will cause the reverse lever shaft spring to pop down, and ruin the new gasket ( i do hope you have a new gasket on there ? ), i always push the spring in more than what it started with, this is what pops out, and tears the gasket !. i check, double check, triple check !, everything before i install the cover. with the cover off, now is a good time to remove the clutch adjustment bolt , loosen the 14 mm lock nut, run the nut all the way to the last few threads of the bolt, then take a hammer, and smack it inward, once it goes down, remove the nut, then pull the bolt all the way out of the cover, clean it up, grease it, check the tiny o-ring that rides on the bolt lip that sits on the inside. clean the cover bore out where the bolt goes through. place the bolt through the cover, as you do this, MAKE SURE YOU ALIGN THE TRIANGLE CUT-OUT TO THE METAL STUD STICKING UP ON THE INSIDE AREA RIGHT NEXT TO THE METAL PLATE !., screw the bolt all the way in, until it sucks the plate down against the inside of the cover, now install the lock nut back on the outside end of the bolt, DO NOT TIGHTEN IT ALL THE WAY !. 

Now install the cover, two things here that you MUST WATCH OUT FOR !!!, one, as you are placing the cover back onto the kick starter shaft, MAKE SURE YOU ARE PRESSING THE KICK START SHAFT IN AS YOU ARE SLIDDING THE COVER BACK ON !. second, when you line up the cover to slide over the reverse shaft lever, GET IT STARTED, THEN ONCE THE SHAFT IS IN THE COVER, PLACE A LONG SCREW DRIVER THROUGH THE COVER HOLE, AND PRESSING ON THE REVERSE SHAFT LEVER, this two are very important to do at the same time !. if all goes well ?, you should be able to LIGHTLY tap the cover back on all around the side of the engine, DO NOT FORCE IT !!, THIS MEANS, DO NOT TRY TO USE THE COVER BOLTS TO PULL IT IN !!!!!, if it will not tap back fully on ?, THEN THERE IS SOMETHING KEEPING IT FROM GOING BACK ON ??!!. we can't be your hands or eyes ?, but we dang sure can be you're teacher, all you need to do is follow what we tell ya :-).

• Like 2

if you make it past all my post ^^^ ?, then tighten down all the bolts IN A CRISS CROSS PATTERN !, do not tighten a bolt, and follow one after another, do it like you would when putting lug nuts back on a car/truck..criss cross pattern !. do not go crazy with torqueing the bolts down !!, a good snug is all you need. now to fix your clutch adjustment. with the 14mm lock nut still lose, just hand tight to the case side, slip a 14mm wrench on it, then use a standard screw drive to twist the center bolt counter clock-wise until it lightly seats, while you hold the lock nut in place !, while still holding the lock nut in place, from the lightly seated position, turn the center bolt roughly 1/4 inch clock-wise, hold it there, tighten down the lock nut. clutch is pre-adjusted now. you can check this adjustment by starting it up, lift up on the foot shift lever with your foot..HOLD IT THERE WHEN YOU DO THIS !!, now give it some thottle, does it want to creep ?, or does it sit in place ?, if it sits still ?, you are golden !. if it wants to creep ?, then go back to the adjustment bolt, loosen the lock nut, while holding the lock nut in place, turn the center bolt counter clockwise, tighten the lock nut back down. then try the clutch again like i point out in the first part of this post.

• Like 2

STAR; read the above posts 10 times and memorize ever word in order as written, if you don't..big money ahead to get it fixed. 

• Like 2

Yup sounds about rite..

I've NEVER had any issues re-I stalling a clutch cover. They just pop rite on. 

Shadetree covered everything I was going to say…

let us know how u make out!

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 10:39 PM, shadetree said:

if you make it past all my post ^^^ ?, then tighten down all the bolts IN A CRISS CROSS PATTERN !, do not tighten a bolt, and follow one after another, do it like you would when putting lug nuts back on a car/truck..criss cross pattern !. do not go crazy with torqueing the bolts down !!, a good snug is all you need. now to fix your clutch adjustment. with the 14mm lock nut still lose, just hand tight to the case side, slip a 14mm wrench on it, then use a standard screw drive to twist the center bolt counter clock-wise until it lightly seats, while you hold the lock nut in place !, while still holding the lock nut in place, from the lightly seated position, turn the center bolt roughly 1/4 inch clock-wise, hold it there, tighten down the lock nut. clutch is pre-adjusted now. you can check this adjustment by starting it up, lift up on the foot shift lever with your foot..HOLD IT THERE WHEN YOU DO THIS !!, now give it some thottle, does it want to creep ?, or does it sit in place ?, if it sits still ?, you are golden !. if it wants to creep ?, then go back to the adjustment bolt, loosen the lock nut, while holding the lock nut in place, turn the center bolt counter clockwise, tighten the lock nut back down. then try the clutch again like i point out in the first part of this post.

wow! thank you so much! i am super late to this. i've been very busy with vacation and such. at this point im tempted to take it to a small engine repair since i already have the clutch in it's just the cover haha but i'll try the right way like you said. 

On 6/20/2021 at 3:16 PM, Wheeler said:

Yup sounds about rite..

I've NEVER had any issues re-I stalling a clutch cover. They just pop rite on. 

Shadetree covered everything I was going to say…

let us know how u make out!

Yeah i'm a beginner, 14, done some other jobs like carb jets and such on other small engines but this is a lot more than i thought it would be...!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, starblockset said:

Yeah i'm a beginner, 14, done some other jobs like carb jets and such on other small engines but this is a lot more than i thought it would be...!

How is it coming along ???? 

10 hours ago, starblockset said:

wow! thank you so much! i am super late to this. i've been very busy with vacation and such. at this point im tempted to take it to a small engine repair since i already have the clutch in it's just the cover haha but i'll try the right way like you said. 

you will be wasting your time and cash, they know nothing about atv engines !..lol. unless someone there has worked on one ?, my money say's they can't help you. its very easy to do, spec if you follow my advice ^^^.

True, I tried what you said it still won't go on! I greased the adjuster bolt and cleaned it, pushed on the Kickstarter shaft as I slid on the crankcase cover, it feels like its getting stuck on something in the middle.

20210718_182033.jpg

20210718_182026.jpg

20210718_182018.jpg

20210718_182014.jpg

52 minutes ago, starblockset said:

True, I tried what you said it still won't go on! I greased the adjuster bolt and cleaned it, pushed on the Kickstarter shaft as I slid on the crankcase cover, it feels like its getting stuck on something in the middle.

20210718_182033.jpg

20210718_182026.jpg

20210718_182018.jpg

20210718_182014.jpg

bro, you need to tilt the bike on its left side about 45 degree's !!, cover is/will hang on clutch adjustment if you try putting it on like you have it.

if u are in the states ?, pm me yer phone number, DO NOT POST IT IN THIS THREAD !.

5 minutes ago, shadetree said:

bro, you need to tilt the bike on its left side about 45 degree's !!, cover is/will hang on clutch adjustment if you try putting it on like you have it.

That makes a LOT more sense thanks !