jeepwm69

Working on the beaver dams/ duck hole

No tweaking was required... and the videos work fine for me too. Are you using a phone or a computer browser @Fishfiles?

Chrome on a Mac , when I click the box to  download , it goes to the bottom of the screen and when I try to hit open , it doesn't 

13 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Chrome on a Mac , when I click the box to  download , it goes to the bottom of the screen and when I try to hit open , it doesn't 

You shouldn't have to download the video, they should appear inside a video player like Youtube vids do, just press the play button.

I had to click the box , then the box went to the bottom of my screen on the left side with a timer , call it the lower address bar and just sat there , then I had to click on it and hit open ,  after it went thru the down load process  for like 5 seconds ,  then it moved over to the downloads on the right side , which I hit that box and it opened , so then I went into my downloads and deleted two files , one was for the movie , not sure what the second one was for , just said Farm MOV 

mPdu2VprSB2c+z0tYUeqqg.jpg

• Like 1

Ok I see... your browser is treating the video files as if they were file attachments, rather than streaming vids. You should see a player with a play/pause button, volume and full screen controls like so:

vid1.png

So your browser settings/file type permissions appears to be the problem 😭

• Like 1

Still fighting the flat-tailed devils. 

Took my big can o tannerite out Sunday thinking I'd found a way to take care of the dams.   The problem, of course, being you must shoot tannerite with a high powered rifle to set it off.  You really need to bury a charge deep in the dam to breach it, but once buried, you can't shoot it.

So I took various sizes of PVC, filled with tannerite, and took them out on the farm and shot them, to see if they'd go off.  The smaller sizes just shattered and scattered the tannerite everywhere, but when I got to 1.5" PCV I finally got a boom.

So I made this.  Coffee can, 4 lbs of tannerite, 1.5" PVC riser which I also filled with tannerite.  Plan was to shoot the riser, which would stick up out of the dam, and allow the main charge to be stuck down in there pretty good.

tannerite.jpg

Went out to the farm.  had a buddy with me.  Buried it pretty good in the dam, and backed up to shoot.  I was winded from digging, so shot 4-5 times with no reaction, and thought "I can't be THAT bad of a shot" so walked up, and I'd hit the PVC, but no boom.  Just shattered the PVC and scattered the tannerite everywhere.  So I had to pull the coffee can up on the dam, and shoot it on the surface.  made a big crater on the dam, but didn't breach it, so we dug the rest of it out by hand and got the water flowing.  And yes, Bo sucks as a camera man.

I've been back out early a couple of mornings this week and have gotten the water level down quite a bit.  Yesterday afternoon too mini-me out there with me and the flat-tailed devil was working on the dam when we go there.  He swam off at a leisurely pace, and I knocked out what little bit he'd done. 

Now I just have to figure out how to cut/knock down these lilly pads so I can scatter some Japanese Millet.  The lilly pads are over my head when I'm sitting on my Foreman, and they shade the ground so much that I don't think they'll allow anything to grow.  Too mucky to get a tractor out there, and too tall to spray from a 4wheeler.   Any ideas?

lilly pads.jpg

dont know if i asked this before so i'll ask again;; is there any way to change the video, as changing pictures from jpeg to png. i got some pictures tat are changed to KB from MB. still look the same to me as far as quality, an has to be a bit easier on the server or whatever. maybe y'all can input a program, that does that automatically. least it would help out a bit.,or is that byte.

Edited by LedFTed

1 hour ago, LedFTed said:

dont know if i asked this before so i'll ask again;; is there any way to change the video, as changing pictures from jpeg to png. i got some pictures tat are changed to KB from MB. still look the same to me as far as quality, an has to be a bit easier on the server or whatever. maybe y'all can input a program, that does that automatically. least it would help out a bit.,or is that byte.

That’s way above my pay grade. Lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LedFTed said:

On 7/21/2021 at 6:37 PM, LedFTed said:

i know ya can reduce JPG to PNG. is there something like that for videos ? 

Yeah you can re-encode videos to change the file format, reduce streaming bitrates or reduce the file size. There are several good encoding softwares for Linux to choose from, depending on your needs.

• Like 1

Been going out and working on these two dams just about every day with a garden rake and hoe.  If I want more than a day they really get the stuff woven in there.  Going out every day I can usually clear the dam in about 20 mins.  Have gotten the water level down quite a bit and probably will ease off clearing the dams after a few more days.  The hot dry weather will evaporate some of the water and if I get it too low and we don't get enough rain the fall I might not have water come duck season.

Have seen the beaver twice in the last couple of days, going out late in the afternoons.  I'm tempted to shoot him, but then if another doesn't move back in before duck season I won't have the dams to hold water for duck season.

Quite a few snakes, and I got to show mini-me a big moccasin on the bank yesterday and told her it was bad and that it would bite her.  Hopefully that little lesson stuck in her head so if she comes across a snake she'll leave it alone.

dam1.jpg

• Like 3

Shoot the beaver and adjust the dam to your preferred height!😁 Up here if we need to eradicate we try to trap but there's way too many. Best thing for us is to blow the dams after freeze up then they are froze out of their homes. Good luck.

• Like 2

Maybe you already tried this but how about a chain saw to remove things until the water was too deep?  It would chew up a chain but maybe it would speed things up.

1 hour ago, WonderMonkey said:

Maybe you already tried this but how about a chain saw to remove things until the water was too deep?  It would chew up a chain but maybe it would speed things up.

Well it's usually sticks mixed with mud and weeds.  They float sticks/ logs into the chute, where they eventually get hung up.  Then as they drop more in there, eventually you get a mass of sticks/logs, and then they push mud and grass up against those logs.

So putting a chainsaw down in there would smoke a chain pretty fast, and likely not do a lot of good.

I get on the backside of the dam and pull out the logs and sticks that are the backer, which is usually pretty easy.   Just pick them up and toss them.  Occasionally one will be stuck in the mud good, but once you get most of them out of the way you can drag the mud and weeds and open up a hole, then push stuff into the hole and let the water carry on away.

Good exercise too!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PROV said:

Shoot the beaver and adjust the dam to your preferred height!😁 Up here if we need to eradicate we try to trap but there's way too many. Best thing for us is to blow the dams after freeze up then they are froze out of their homes. Good luck.

Tannerite on ice!  Now I'd pay to watch that.  Especially if Tonya was wacking Nancy in the knee caps as the pre blast entertainment. 😳

• Haha 3

What happens if ya start a small fire over the Tannerite? that could be done from a distance.

6 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

What happens if ya start a small fire over the Tannerite? that could be done from a distance.

Nothing.  It may burn but doesn't explode.  At least under normal conditions. 

• Like 2

Yep, just smokes.

Takes a high powered rifle round (2k FPS or more) or a blasting cap/det cord to set it off.

That’s how you can buy it in  sporting good stores.  It’s pretty much completely harmless unless you do something very specific and extreme to set it off.

nice to know, i got a stump, but cant shoot in that direction. least, i got a work around. to consider.

Edited by LedFTed

You know , not to wish bad things upon myself , but I think having some beavers in the area to deal with might be cool , you get to trap them , shot them , blow them up , tear up their dam , sounds like a lot of fun ---- dams make more water holes , more places to ride , LOL 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, LedFTed said:

nice to know, i got a stump, but cant shoot in that direction. least, i got a work around. to consider.

If you know anyone with a license for blasting caps/det cord, it works best to set the stuff off.  Tannerite is cheaper than the commercial stuff you have to be licensed to buy.

But the blasting caps and det cord are more heavily regulated that the binary explosives these days.

we are regulated to death here in tenn, can't even purchase tannerite. 

Is it unlawful in Tennessee for a person without a federal explosives license or permit to mix the binary element of ammonium nitrate with a sensitizer to create an exploding target (ET) known as Tannerite and other various trade names?

yes

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

we are regulated to death here in tenn, can't even purchase tannerite. 

Eh, just drive across the state line and buy some.  Just like the fireworks stands just across the lines in North MS and East Arkansas right on the border.  LOL.

oh no.... lol! i was just making a general statement.... how ever i can get the blasting caps, and cord, and other explosives.... well... i would have to talk to my stepfather , and that's NOT going to happen.... lol! 

My neighbor (land, not house) has a permit for det cord/ caps etc.  When he's in town I catch him and usually mooch off of him.  He'll come up on our land and blow a dam for me.  I wrench on his stuff and pull him out when he gets stuck.