David13

First Year of ATV

My younger brother had a Honda Rancher when we lived in southern California.  He had a nice truck and enclosed trailer for it, but I never paid much attention to it as he lived in the more rural areas and I lived in the city, and I rode a motorcycle to get out of the city.

But this year living in Utah (I been here 2 1/2 years now) in the high rocky mountains, rural area I heard about the many atv trails and had to get out into it.

So I got a Honda Rancher 420, 2019 with all features, which means, for 2019 it only comes in camo or ... white.  And all they have around here is ... white.  And they only get so many and can get no more.  So I got white.  Which I like. 

I have 900 miles from last (2019) summer on the trails.  I can access them from my house, half a mile of city to get thru to get onto the dirt/gravel.

Having been on a motorcycle all my life it was easy for me to get crazy fast soon on the atv.  Which I got to watch, I don't need to roll it over.

I got a front and rear large Kolpin box bolted to the racks.  I found it excellent.  I can carry everything I need and I have a rack on the back box so I could strap on a small tent and sleeping bag, etc for over night camping, when I'm ready for that. 

There are many atvs and sxs in town but I like to ride alone as I have always done on the motorcycle.   Easier and I can do what I want, when, etc.

To get into camping I will probably need someone's example to follow at least for the first time.  I never did any camping, other than in Michigan as a child and that was only just outside the cabin.

The trails around here are crazy rugged and long so it was a most enjoyable summer, once a week out there.

I'm working on installing a Warn winch now, which is a real jig saw puzzle, but slowing the pieces are starting to fit.  I will probably ask here for help on that.

dc

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum! Sure wish i had my 4 wheeler when i lived in Arizona and Colorado had miles of trails to ride.But at the time wasn't possible.I heard Utah also has lots of trails to ride,well have fun on the trails.With those rugged trails you may want a upgrade to 6 ply tires,all you get with the stocks is 2 ply.

4 minutes ago, riverc said:

Welcome to the forum! Sure wish i had my 4 wheeler when i lived in Arizona and Colorado had miles of trails to ride.But at the time wasn't possible.I heard Utah also has lots of trails to ride,well have fun on the trails.With those rugged trails you may want a upgrade to 6 ply tires,all you get with the stocks is 2 ply.

I have seen a lot about that, and heard.  That the oem tires would go flat easy and weren't much, etc. 

But I will definitely wear them out before I do anything. 

They also talk a lot about larger tires (rims). 

My ground clearance has been fine so far, and the tires performed quite well all summer and held air good.   So I don't know what I'll end up doing, but it's a long way off yet.

dc

Welcome to the forum David. The winch isn't bad to mount but the front bumper has to be removed to do it.

Hey David glad you chose to take a look here, you won't be sorry....