Bossdaddy

2004 Honda Foreman 450 ES, shifting problems

Folks, God has blessed me again, the broken bolt is out!!! Jeep, when the bolt broke it left a little tit sticking out on one side, just enough for needle nose and even when I drilled it didn't bother the tit. I got the welder ready and almost started and something said to go on and try the torch and that's what I did. The end of the drum is a lot thinner than I thought it would be. When I put the torch to it, it was set real low, not hot at all, 10 seconds max and it was hot. I took the needle nose to it and it turned out no problem. One thing for sure the bolt was never bottomed out, it was torqueing on the buildup on the threads only about 1/2 inch if bolt came out. I chased the threads and can run the new bolt all the way flush with your fingers. This is a ! of a way to learn not to do things. Now can I remember how to put the thing back together. Thanks to all that had a input, y'all had a lot of things going on in this old head.

• Like 4

BossDaddy , What's your game plan on tightening that fastener and what type of bolt was that last one ??? 

Fishfiles, the last bolt was a OEM bolt bought from Partzilla, the new one is a grade 10.9 bolt bought at Lowes. I used blue thread locker and torqued it to 107 inch pounds. It torqued no problem, my problem was the old thread lock that I didn't get out prior to installing the new bolt. 

• Like 3

First of all I want to again thank all you guys that helped me on this ordeal, I wouldn't have even tried it without you encouraging me to go on and do it. I learned a lot for sure. I got it all put back together and it shifts gears great.

• Like 2

Off the subject a little but what do you guys use the remove small scratches in the plastic and bring the color back. The green color is still pretty good just dull but not faded bad, it has small scratches all over it from just being used in the woods. Hunting season is not far off and I would like to get it slicked up good before another season in the woods.