56Sierra

454, 460 or Triton V10 for motorhome

You can't go wrong with the Ford V10.  I have the V10 in my 2000 Ford Excursion.  It's a proven engine.  Only downfall with mine is the 3.73 rear end for towing.  I am contemplating doing a gear swap considering the cost of vehicles right now.  I've owned  three 7.3's and they were all awesome but diesel will never be cheaper than gas again.  The maintenance cost is substantially more as well.  With the fuel prices continuing to rise i think we're going to see the prices of used trucks drop.  I'd wait it out if you can unless you get a heck of a deal.  So many people are gonna be upside down in these loans 🙃.  Good luck in your search.

10 hours ago, superrman77 said:

You can't go wrong with the Ford V10.  I have the V10 in my 2000 Ford Excursion.  It's a proven engine.  Only downfall with mine is the 3.73 rear end for towing.  I am contemplating doing a gear swap considering the cost of vehicles right now.  I've owned  three 7.3's and they were all awesome but diesel will never be cheaper than gas again.  The maintenance cost is substantially more as well.  With the fuel prices continuing to rise i think we're going to see the prices of used trucks drop.  I'd wait it out if you can unless you get a heck of a deal.  So many people are gonna be upside down in these loans 🙃.  Good luck in your search.

Thanks on the advice.  Haven't heard back from the guy with the Pace Arrow but the wife found a real nice 2003 V10 powered one with a great description,  great maintenance including plug changes and even better condition.   Problem is we are # 4 in line.  The three before us are all traveling distances between 200 and 400 miles.   I'm not holding my breath. 

1 hour ago, 56Sierra said:

Thanks on the advice.  Haven't heard back from the guy with the Pace Arrow but the wife found a real nice 2003 V10 powered one with a great description,  great maintenance including plug changes and even better condition.   Problem is we are # 4 in line.  The three before us are all traveling distances between 200 and 400 miles.   I'm not holding my breath. 

I think the fall would be a good time to look as well.  You might get a deal on one because someone doesn't want to pay storage for the winter.  Good luck.

I figure we've driven over 1,200 miles total to look at RVs and I'm getting tired of the misrepresentation online.  GRRRR.

On 7/5/2021 at 9:41 PM, Wheeler said:

@Chevymec why would u not want carb? Mine has done me very well so far! Dyno tune it so she dialed in & good to go! 

That's just me.  I mean my Chevelle has a 1050cfm carb but with time I will convert it to EFI. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

I figure we've driven over 1,200 miles total to look at RVs and I'm getting tired of the misrepresentation online.  GRRRR.

Are there not any RV/Camper lots around you?  Ditch the CL sellers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chevymec said:

Are there not any RV/Camper lots around you?  Ditch the CL sellers. 

Yeah, been there too.  One smelled horribly of dead mice yet the salesman couldn't smell it.  Around here dealers charge high book for RVs that are in poor shape.   If it's over 10 years old they make no attempt to fix anything and sell as is without disclosing what they've found wrong.   I've having better luck with private sellers.

53 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

Yeah, been there too.  One smelled horribly of dead mice yet the salesman couldn't smell it.  Around here dealers charge high book for RVs that are in poor shape.   If it's over 10 years old they make no attempt to fix anything and sell as is without disclosing what they've found wrong.   I've having better luck with private sellers.

oh sheesh, just imagine what damage to wiring system had been done......among other things. 

Mice are my mortal enemy and a constant battle living in the woods.  So much so that I've been known to sprinkle birdseed at my backstop and pop them with ever happens to be on the shooting bench at the time.  Problem is the birds usually find it first.

Back on topic:  Right now the RV hunt is on hold.  No vacancies way down south during the winter.  I've been telling the lady of the house that since we started this tail chasing game and she finally gave up finding a place she liked that was available.  And somehow this is all my fault.

• Like 1

Just brought this home today.  My new Tundra is at least three weeks out so we borrowed the neighbor's truck to bring it the 115 miles home.  As I moved the truck after disconnecting the trailer a brake line broke.  I'll fix that before I give it back.  Thank goodness it isn't a daily driver.   And one of the baby moon hubcaps departed company somewhere on the trip home.

20210814_140351.jpg

30 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

Just brought this home today.  My new Tundra is at least three weeks out so we borrowed the neighbor's truck to bring it the 115 miles home.  As I moved the truck after disconnecting the trailer a brake line broke.  I'll fix that before I give it back.  Thank goodness it isn't a daily driver.   And one of the baby moon hubcaps departed company somewhere on the trip home.

20210814_140351.jpg

some details on the tt !. that dodge 3/4 or 1/2 ton ?.

and i see a slide out ^^ ?, wait until it breaks ?..or leaks ?..lol. i stayed far...far away from any tt with a slide.

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

and i see a slide out ^^ ?, wait until it breaks ?..or leaks ?..lol. i stayed far...far away from any tt with a slide.

My thoughts exactly but I got vetoed.  The Pretty One and the dog voted yes to the slide.   At least this is one of the better built trailers.  If this is one of the better built trailers I'd sure hate to see the cheap ones.  Gulfstream is privately owned unlike Forest River which is part of Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway.   This slide drives all four corners in unison so it at least has a much better design to start.  Within the first hour of it being home I've already found changes I want to make.  Mostly simple things to utilize voids for storage and the function of light switches.  

Does anyone live near Mt. View Arkansas?  We're going there the first week of October for a Vintage Cruiser get together.   If so, give me a shout and we'll meet up.  I want more than anything to buy Fishfiles a beer someday.  He just sounds like one interesting dude to me.  Heck, you all do!

41 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

looking at the rear wheel (8 lugs) i believe a 3/4 ton. 

Yes.  The old Chum Bucket did a great job pulling the camper home.  I have a 2021 Tundra coming to tow it with.

• Like 1

It's a Vintage Cruiser 23RSS made by Gulfstream.  As built around 4,400# and 6,060 gross.  26'2" tongue to bumper. We found it in London Ohio about 1/2 mile from where I used to live.  Right around 500# tongue weight dropped the back of the old Dodge a tad over 1"  I didn't even bother putting the spring bars on.  With the Girlie-maan Tundra the weight distribution hitch will be an absolute necessity.   It's funny that the Pretty One is new to pulling a trailer and didn't understand the concept of being careful about the weight of  things you take.  I told her we'd need to get a one cup coffee maker and she scoffed at that until she saw the very limited counter space.🤣

My fave is a 2-cup camp percolator; 2nd fave is a 1-cup Keurig.

check the air pressure on the camper wheels—just to make sure—if too low or too high it can cause the wheel to flex a jettison the hubcap. Otherwise Maybe it wasn’t fully installed 

8 hours ago, Goober said:

My fave is a 2-cup camp percolator; 2nd fave is a 1-cup Keurig.

check the air pressure on the camper wheels—just to make sure—if too low or too high it can cause the wheel to flex a jettison the hubcap. Otherwise Maybe it wasn’t fully installed 

We checked TP before we left.  There are three attachment points on the steel rims.  These thin caps can be removed by using your fingertips.   Not good.

• Like 1

had a toyota truck that has the same type push caps but those you had to pry off and a 3/4 chevy that had this type, and they were real easy pull off took and bent the inner edge slightly , was able to make them harder to get off, but back then they were very popular, so if some was missing one they would walk up to your truck pop one, or two... heck sometimes all four .... and leave, i replaced mine once, then .... just painted the rims the brightest silver i could get back then, and blacked the axle hub sticking out... i hated those stock white rims....lol! same deal with dress moon caps on semi trucks.... other driver would steal all kinda of dress chrome items at truck stops.... 

image.jpg

16 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

My thoughts exactly but I got vetoed.  The Pretty One and the dog voted yes to the slide.   At least this is one of the better built trailers.  If this is one of the better built trailers I'd sure hate to see the cheap ones.  Gulfstream is privately owned unlike Forest River which is part of Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway.   This slide drives all four corners in unison so it at least has a much better design to start.  Within the first hour of it being home I've already found changes I want to make.  Mostly simple things to utilize voids for storage and the function of light switches.  

Does anyone live near Mt. View Arkansas?  We're going there the first week of October for a Vintage Cruiser get together.   If so, give me a shout and we'll meet up.  I want more than anything to buy Fishfiles a beer someday.  He just sounds like one interesting dude to me.  Heck, you all do!

i'm right down the road from there !. i will prob be in the deer woods around that time frame though ?..sigh. oh lord..fish..you, me..beer ?..that wont end well !..rofl. you will find out all kinds of ideas to improve the tt, some must do's ?, other as you go.

16 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

Yes.  The old Chum Bucket did a great job pulling the camper home.  I have a 2021 Tundra coming to tow it with.

please...PLEASE CONSIDER GETTING A WDH !. even though it might be a big truck ?, that all goes down hill fast when you start loading it up. yes, the new truck might be 3/4 ton ( not sure ? ), but even at a 3/4 truck, loads, roads, and weather will kill you !.

15 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

It's a Vintage Cruiser 23RSS made by Gulfstream.  As built around 4,400# and 6,060 gross.  26'2" tongue to bumper. We found it in London Ohio about 1/2 mile from where I used to live.  Right around 500# tongue weight dropped the back of the old Dodge a tad over 1"  I didn't even bother putting the spring bars on.  With the Girlie-maan Tundra the weight distribution hitch will be an absolute necessity.   It's funny that the Pretty One is new to pulling a trailer and didn't understand the concept of being careful about the weight of  things you take.  I told her we'd need to get a one cup coffee maker and she scoffed at that until she saw the very limited counter space.🤣

again, deff use a WDH !. i pulled my last tt with my trx450fm in the bed of my 1/2 ton, full tow package, that tt was 22ft, tandem axle, had no issues pulling it ?, but was a tad hard controlling it on the highway, couple white knuckle moments ?, but it road good. yes i had a pro reese 10k WDH too !..lol. that is why i decided to get this 18rd camper, its so much better behind my truck now.

• Like 1

that's why i would just get a 5th wheel..(goose neck) type, but that limits you to useing a truck... or flat bed ton (plus) or dually (duel wheels) those you can have passengers in (certain states) while being pulled... in tenn for instants it's legal for passengers above a certain age to ride a 5th wheel, but not in a travel trailer.... and the size of a 5th wheel can up to 40 feet... long .. a travel trailer limit i believe ? is 33 feet ... with 40 foot... you better have a man about front pulling it! 

https://www.tripsavvy.com/passengers-in-campers-504228

but justify the cost of ether type being that larg, and costly.. would need to used quiet a bit, as a kid, living on a farm my pop always had a ton dump bed of one type or another, because... back then you could not pull a 5th wheel (goose neck) of any type cattle, horse, hog, flat bed camper etc.... over 16 feet long without duel back wheels (legit ton) I'm not sure if that law has changed or not. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

On 8/15/2021 at 11:02 AM, shadetree said:

please...PLEASE CONSIDER GETTING A WDH !. even though it might be a big truck ?, that all goes down hill fast when you start loading it up. yes, the new truck might be 3/4 ton ( not sure ? ), but even at a 3/4 truck, loads, roads, and weather will kill you !.

I had the WDH early on.  Right after I bought the trailer I found one.  The Tundra SR5 Crewmax came home Friday afternoon.   First thing I did was remove the back seats and made an area for the old Yellow Lab.   114.5 pounds saved.  Tundras are nice trucks but the payload is very lacking.  As built with 38 gal tank, 4x4, convenience and safety packages, and spray in bedliner the payload is only 1217 pounds.  I'm figuring my tongue weight can be as high as 675# and with everything I have in the truck and about 75# transfered back to the trailer I'll be right at gross weight.   At Toyota's recommended 9-11% tongue weight I will be right at 11% with the trailer loaded to gross.  First stop is the CAT scales and second hopefully won't be the dumpster behind the truck stop.

Since our Lab is 11 yrs old I made some steps for her.  She has spent the last two days watching me work and I'm getting the feeling she knows what I'm doing is to make her comfortable. Picture is of me getting the WDH adjusted.   Rear drops 3/4" and nose rises 1/8".  Trailer is within 1/2" front to rear.  This should be very close.  I'm planning a stop or two to readjust after we leave.  Planned departure date is Sunday the second.

20210927_084950.jpg

• Like 2