56Sierra

454, 460 or Triton V10 for motorhome

Here is my beast all loaded up. 

camper dry is 4700. After she’s all loaded including the atv, 100extra litres of fuel, 600lbs of water ect we have about 7,000lbs plus easily. 

I wouldn’t be scared of a 454 with 70k miles! They are tanks… 

28F15AA1-04DB-40B7-AA08-3A29943092FE.jpeg

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Here is my beast all loaded up. 

camper dry is 4700. After she’s all loaded including the atv, 100extra litres of fuel, 600lbs of water ect we have about 7,000lbs plus easily. 

I wouldn’t be scared of a 454 with 70k miles! They are tanks… 

28F15AA1-04DB-40B7-AA08-3A29943092FE.jpeg

now try that with a reg cab, 2wd !..lol.

• Thanks 1

I got up this morning to a cup of coffee and a very exited wife.  She found one nearby, (the one with 70k) fits our needs and by all appearances is in very nice condition.   Came from AZ.  It was on FB posted by a guy I worked with for years and have the greatest respect for.  One minor problem.   It was not his but his father in law.  I figured this all out while talking to the owner.  Problem is during my last job I was instrumental in producing evidence that locked the RV owner up in the big house for a two year stint.  He was fired after the owner of the RR caught on to his shenanigans.   I uncovered $425,000.00 he had stolen from the company in about 5 years.  Never met the guy and today was the first time speaking with him.  I think I shall pass on this one.😳

We have a 30k miles F350 V10 at the shop now. Not under warranty and the Ford dealership says it needs a motor. Needless to say we have a V10 crate motor on the floor in the shop. They like to spit out spark plugs also. Not sure if they have the timing chain problems of the 5.4 Triton motors or not.  I think Ford put 2 different trans in some models, 1 built for towing, the other not so much. 

The 460, I guess that would make it Carb'd. I personally would not but a motor home with a carb unless you like working on it. Guessing this might have a C-6 trans. Possibly no overdrive??

The 454 has been around for a long time. Not sure what year  you looked at a TBI or Vortec model . The vortec models were bad for fuel pressure regulator and injectors leaking. I've replaced my fair share of them but has been a while.  This should have a 4l80e trans which is a good one for pulling. The later models were the better.  TBi could have a TH400 or an early 4l80e in it. 

• Like 2

I like that.. "billboard miles"...grin.

yeah, friend of mine has a 6cycl eco ford 150..and he was worried about pulling his new 22ft pontoon. well under the advertised capacity, but still he says it really seems to work that motor.

my 2004 silverado 1500 was also a king cab (suicide back doors thing..)my 3500 is full 4 door crew. 

but that lil 327 in the 1500 was a hard working motor..made many many trips pulling the camper with it and that old Nash 26ft is a heavy box..nothing "lite" in the name on that model. Full H-beam under body and old materials make it a chunk.

I of course used load leveler bars on the 1500 and it sat nice and straight.

I'm no expert on motor homes, but if your talking class a I'm going with the other guys a diesel pusher, preferably a cummins, been a heavy haul truck driver for years, and I've seen all types, a diesel will last longer, if well taken care, of, and the cummins is a proven engine, that you can take my word on, but, like you say if this is NOT going to be used much, shelling out that kind of money would IMO be a waist, my stepfather (Robert) which i have no use for, purchased a class a new (showroom) some 48 foot long at the price of +$300 hundred thousand his is a twin rear one pusher, one weight carrier, that thing was meant for staying on the road all the time, but required alot of care, way too much for him, personaly if i was going to have one, I'd get gooseneck camper, just really depends on your needs, and frequency of use. with a motorhome it has one use, with a gooseneck you have a free truck UNTIL you get ready to go traveling (2 birds with one stone) and with a motorhome, your looking at more machines to look after, one more insurance payment, tags, etc, so there are many things to think of. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bighanded said:

I like that.. "billboard miles"...grin.

yeah, friend of mine has a 6cycl eco ford 150..and he was worried about pulling his new 22ft pontoon. well under the advertised capacity, but still he says it really seems to work that motor.

my 2004 silverado 1500 was also a king cab (suicide back doors thing..)my 3500 is full 4 door crew. 

but that lil 327 in the 1500 was a hard working motor..made many many trips pulling the camper with it and that old Nash 26ft is a heavy box..nothing "lite" in the name on that model. Full H-beam under body and old materials make it a chunk.

I of course used load leveler bars on the 1500 and it sat nice and straight.

yeah, my '00 silverado has the 5.3L, ( 327 ) tow package, 3:73 gears, class 4 or 5 ? rail hitch mounted on the frame, very solid engine, but i can only say this..i won't push my luck !..lol. she's closing in on 300k miles , and i do not want to break her !..lol.

1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I'm no expert on motor homes, but if your talking class a I'm going with the other guys a diesel pusher, preferably a cummins, been a heavy haul truck driver for years, and I've seen all types, a diesel will last longer, if well taken care, of, and the cummins is a proven engine, that you can take my word on, but, like you say if this is NOT going to be used much, shelling out that kind of money would IMO be a waist, my stepfather (Robert) which i have no use for, purchased a class a new (showroom) some 48 foot long at the price of +$300 hundred thousand his is a twin rear one pusher, one weight carrier, that thing was meant for staying on the road all the time, but required alot of care, way too much for him, personaly if i was going to have one, I'd get gooseneck camper, just really depends on your needs, and frequency of use. with a motorhome it has one use, with a gooseneck you have a free truck UNTIL you get ready to go traveling (2 birds with one stone) and with a motorhome, your looking at more machines to look after, one more insurance payment, tags, etc, so there are many things to think of. 

i too agree, diesel all the way, gas is to high right now. what you are calling a goose neck, are you speaking 5th wheel ?, or the old style ball pin over axles ?. i do not see a lot of goose necks around these days ?, tons of 5th wheels though !.

• Like 2

yeah, i dont know where i got the name gooseneck, lol but yup a 5th wheel, my pop always called fifth wheel cattle trailers goose necks, HECK everyone here does, if you say 5th wheel now, the old farmers along with some others think semi truck, haha! i reckon goose neck because it was just a plain steal hitch on cattle trailers, a camper (ours) had beds inclosed over the hitch, although i haven't seen a 5th camper in a while, not even a bumbper hitch camper, or motor home, but lots of boats over the weekend, and heard a bunch of Harley's up and down highway 31, my guess is, the Tennessee river was packed. 

@Chevymec why would u not want carb? Mine has done me very well so far! Dyno tune it so she dialed in & good to go! 

Edited by Wheeler

My problem is I don't want a payment and my two vehicles, both paid for, a 2011 low milage Element and the 2017 124 Abarth aren't haulers.   Well the 124 does haul a$$ and the two slice toaster hauls my little boat and atv trailer but can't haul a trailer big enough for us and the Lab.  Plus this is only until the dog passes then we're outta here for island life.

• Like 1

okay, i gotcha now, you say outa there for island life, so your planning on selling out and moving for good ? 

oh wow, well, i hope you stay a member here, you'll about close to island life as i can enjoy. lol! and keep the honda's i think (if memory serves me right) y'all have two 300 4wd's ?? 

Now I found another option.   The 8.1 Workhorse.  Seems to be a decent engine/transmission combination. 

Now I need some advice from the pros here.  Found a 2002 Pace Arrow 36R Workhorse with 30K miles.. Nada online doesn't give a odometer mileage formula to add or subtract value for low or high miles.  He's asking $31K and Nada says $24something.  Couple of things he may have done.  Clicked extra options when they are considered standard equipment or somehow calculated the nearly $7grand more due to the low mileage.   Or just thinks he can get that.  Been on the market for 3 weeks now.

If I add what's standard equipment as optional I get within $500 of his asking price.   I have no access to the dealers 

Edited by 56Sierra
  • Like 1

did some reading here, I'm not knocking them at all, just found this interesting, I'll post the site link if you'd like to see it.

The 8.1L was considered the diesel-alternative in the Chevy line and was designed to be big enough to produce comparable power and towing capabilities to that of the diesels.

whats the transmition a 4 speed auto ? 

I believe it to be an allison trans.  Probably 4sp.  I'm waiting on a phone call from the owner.

53 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

oh okay those are great trannies! i hope it's good news! 

From what I've read this coach has a w22 chassis with the front tire track the same as the outside duals and the Allison 1000 5sp.🙂

A 496 is a beast! I don’t much about them other than they are a very large big block!

I have a 2001 K2500HD with the 8.1 and Allison. It's a beast but likes it fuel and expect it to consume oil under heavy pulls. I usually have the 31 foot 5th wheel on it and the 14 foot utility in tow behind the camper when pulling and it gets around 8mpg. It does have 180,000 miles on it and never had a tune up to my knowledge (been putting it off) so i don't think it does terrible.

• Like 2

31 foot 5th wheel with a 14 foot ? wow impressive! , i have read online, just what you said uses oil under a heavy load, but that's not bad at all! I'm like wheeler, i just don't know that much about that engine, but impressed so far, it sure cost less then the duramax, i just wonder which is more dependable, I've not heard many good things about the duramax, when used as a real work horse, but the cummins looks to be the top mid size diesel plant, i know mines never let me down, all mechanical, with none of that computer mess, but chevy messed up years ago, when they were going to put a 404 CID johndeere inline six in there trucks, that was way before cummins, and dodge teamed up. 

That’s a nice rig. I would prefer the banquette dining over the Freestanding dinette. But Big people have problems fitting behind and getting 4 people into the tighter banquette type space.

https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2002_pa_f.pdf

definitely check date code on tires—I’m sure if they’re going on 10yo you might spend $2000 on new rubber.

that might take you halfway to where he is. 

Edited by Goober