David13

A Jig Saw Puzzle

Trying to put a Warn VRX 2500 on a 2019 Honda Rancher 420.

There is one video online but it's a 2017 Rancher and it looks totally different than mine and the mounting bracket (Warn) is also totallly different.

First no instructions. The winch booklet is just cryptic. The bracket came with no hardware and no instructions. I called and they sent those but the instructions just say go online and Warn has a very dark (no lighting) video that is also cryptic.

I also got the $5.95 accessory Honda wiring. Also cryptic. But once I get the winch mounted I ought to be able to figure that out.

From their diagrams, but following advice here, I have to turn the winch around to get a straight run of the cable to the rollers from the top. The bottom which they show would kink the cable quite a bit. That is how the 2017 Rancher video shows it.

I have found another 2019 winch install on a Rancher which helped a little bit more.

One showed the solenoid assembly mounted on the frame member just to the left drivers side of the front. I say drivers side and passenger side if the vehicle was a passenger vehicle as left and right always raises the question looking to the atv or as riding the atv?

Any advice and tips would be appreciated. Thanks

I still have no idea how the wiring is going to go, only that I will have to switch the wires to make in out and out in.
dc

David , I am not a 420 guy but have ridden with and read a lot about them , I think there are two different 420s , a 1st gen and  a 2nd gen , not sure of the year breakdowns , one is built on the 500 format and is a bigger bike , I think the bigger one is the 2nd gen 

I believe toodeep said the front bumper will need to be taken off ?. I dont know what all parts you bought with your winch ?, but I know what I used on all my installs. I always go with a warn pro vantage 2500-s, KFI roller fairlead, KFI mounting plate made for my warn. I always install the contact switch in the trunks, as high as I can mount them. I have never had any issues with the cables supplied with this winch, I dont know why your having issues ?. I think I read somewhere about you or youtube, or someone ??..mounted their winch upside down ?, I don't know why folks do this ?, I have never installed my winches upside down !!.

5 hours ago, shadetree said:

I believe toodeep said the front bumper will need to be taken off ?. I dont know what all parts you bought with your winch ?, but I know what I used on all my installs. I always go with a warn pro vantage 2500-s, KFI roller fairlead, KFI mounting plate made for my warn. I always install the contact switch in the trunks, as high as I can mount them. I have never had any issues with the cables supplied with this winch, I dont know why your having issues ?. I think I read somewhere about you or youtube, or someone ??..mounted their winch upside down ?, I don't know why folks do this ?, I have never installed my winches upside down !!.

Good morning Shadetree

Well, I guess not up side down.  I guess, backwards.  It will mount with the electrics on either side and the install instructions what little there is of them show the electric side (connections) on the passenger side but that leaves the lead coming off the bottom and high up into the fairlead.  So that has to be reversed, I guess that won't be a problem.

My only real problem is figuring out how to do it all.

I got the Warn mount plate.  Looking at the KFI video I'd rather have got the KFI, it looks like a better designed plate.  Too late now.

I did take the bumper off, or loose.  I'm just wondering if I should take off the front rack and the front plastic to get closer to where I need to put the wiring. 

I'll try the wires, I do like the idea of mounting the contact switch connector in the trunk.  Maybe the wire will reach.  I'll have to try it after I get the winch in.

Thanks for the help.

dc

I've only installed the KFI mounts. I tried to watch and find directions and the video warn gives, I would send the product back. Do you have a pic of your mount? If it's like the one in the video I seen it looks like they bolt the winch to the mount with just 2 bolts?

You'll always want to pull from the bottom (bolted to plate) side of the winch. The Honda plug you just simply plug in (under the radiator cap access cover) and it gives you a key on power lead to hook the red wire for the mini rocker switch. I mount the contactor in the battery box area to keep it out of the elements.

Possibly these directions can give a little help on the mount. It's the KFI plate (I couldn't find the directions on their site so I used this one). CLICK HERE

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

David , I am not a 420 guy but have ridden with and read a lot about them , I think there are two different 420s , a 1st gen and  a 2nd gen , not sure of the year breakdowns , one is built on the 500 format and is a bigger bike , I think the bigger one is the 2nd gen 

Good morning Fishfiles

So far I understand they introduced the 420 in 2006 to replace the 350 and that's when they had all new frame and all new motor and went to fuel injection.  I'll see if I can find anything on the frame used. 

Thanks

dc

2007 was the first year, in 14/15 (depending on the model) is the 2nd gen.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, toodeep said:

I've only installed the KFI mounts. I tried to watch and find directions and the video warn gives, I would send the product back. Do you have a pic of your mount? If it's like the one in the video I seen it looks like they bolt the winch to the mount with just 2 bolts?

You'll always want to pull from the bottom (bolted to plate) side of the winch. The Honda plug you just simply plug in (under the radiator cap access cover) and it gives you a key on power lead to hook the red wire for the mini rocker switch. I mount the contactor in the battery box area to keep it out of the elements.

Possibly these directions can give a little help on the mount. It's the KFI plate (I couldn't find the directions on their site so I used this one). CLICK HERE

Good morning Toodeep

The Warn plate mounts with two bolts at the top and two small ones in the front, into the holes on the bumper and I guess the frame, at the top.

I didn't think it looks that secure, but it is attached to the bumper one way or another which is attached to the frame, so ...

Thanks for the installation sheet.  That shows pivoting the bumper from the bottom.  I was going to do it from the top, but the bottom may be easier.

I'm still concerned with which way I should mount it.  To the left or to the right.  One idea is have the cable come off the bottom of the reel.  But that looks like it will cause the cable to bend over the fairlead a lot.  Off the top will give it a straight shot out the front. 

Here is the link to the Warn mount plate.  In the photo it is shown up side down.  It mounts just other side up from what the photo shows.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/warn-winch-mount-plate-p?s=1551452&v=17037&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_aSTw8Ow5gIViLzACh19Zgd7EAQYAiABEgLbWPD_BwE

Thanks

dc

Edited by David13

Here is a link to Warn's website video instructions on how to do it. 

I get the impression that buyers return this Warn mount a lot.  The one Rocky Mountain ATV MC sent me had been previously returned.

I watched that video and would be ashamed to post anything like that as instructions if I was Warn. I think I know how they are mounting the winch to the plate now. You would want the cable pulling from the top when it's all mounted which would put the electrical connections on the left side (if I fipping things over correctly in my mind). I'll give a couple visuals with the KFI plate which with a little imagination is similar.

• Like 1

Yes, Toodeep

I thought that video was a rather poor presentation of Warn, Inc.

Yes, that is the conclusion I have come to about the direction, I'll have to mount it like yours with the wires on the 'drivers' side.

The KFI plate really appears about the same as the Warn, just that it's in two pieces.  And that it mounts over the top of the frame and onto the bolt holes for the bumper to the side.  The Warn fits into two unused bolt holes on the frame. 

So that's the next step, mount the winch onto the bumper, etc.

Then start trying to figure out the wiring.

Thanks to all.

dc

Another episode in the continuing saga of trying to install the winch.

Having ciphered out the issues at least of the winch mount I tried to mount the winch. I found that the winch cannot be on the Warn bracket until the bracket is installed. Then, because the Warn uses the holes in the top of the frame for mounting, unlike the KFI which uses the side holes, along with the mount of the bumper bolts, that the mount had to be mounted before the winch was placed into the mount.

Then I found some difficulty in getting the bolts to insert upright, which they must do to clear the bumper bolts coming in from the side. Then I found it to be impossible to get a socket on the bolt head of the plate mounting bolts facing upward.

So I determined that was why Rocky Mountain atv mc had sent me a mount that had been returned to them from a previous buyer. Mainly it looked like it wouldn't work and I'd need to get the KFI bracket.

But watching the official Warn video, the one of low quality, I see he mounts the bracket loose, puts in the winch and tightens all down by placing a long 12 mm box end wrench from the other side onto the bolt head. I should go back and do a loose mount to see if indeed that would work to tighten the mount bolts down after the winch is in place. But, since my longest 12 mm is 5" and it would take one more than 5 1/4" to reach across the bracket, I ordered one online. One which is 7 5/8" long which ought to be long enough to reach across and hold the bolt head while tightening the nut above.

So, when I get the wrench I'll see if it works, or I do have to return the bracket..

I have found a store with no. 6 and 8 wire, so if the wires won't reach to the tool box I can make some longer ones.

Also putting the contactor/controller in the back tool box means the switch wire has to go all the way back there. I don't know if that's long enough. I may just mount the switch near the back of the seat somewhere, anyway.

It's nice that I have all winter to do this as it looks like it may take all winter.
dc

Edited by David13

i'm not sure why your having so much trouble mounting your new winch ?, but I know in all my winch installs ?, with my fav warn pro vantage 2500-s, KFI mounting plate, KFI roller fair lead ( its best to use roller fair lead when using rope ! ), I have never had one problem installing my set up. all my power cables, contact switch, everything went together smooth straight out of the box. I guess this is why I stick with a well known brand product :-).

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

i'm not sure why your having so much trouble mounting your new winch ?, but I know in all my winch installs ?, with my fav warn pro vantage 2500-s, KFI mounting plate, KFI roller fair lead ( its best to use roller fair lead when using rope ! ), I have never had one problem installing my set up. all my power cables, contact switch, everything went together smooth straight out of the box. I guess this is why I stick with a well known brand product :-).

At the moment I'm only having a problem with the Warn mount plate.  As I say that's because they use bolt holes onto the frame, at the top, which the KFI has tabs that bend over the sides and over the holes where the bumper bolts in.  Those are just far more easily accessible.

Thanks

dc

1 hour ago, David13 said:

At the moment I'm only having a problem with the Warn mount plate.  As I say that's because they use bolt holes onto the frame, at the top, which the KFI has tabs that bend over the sides and over the holes where the bumper bolts in.  Those are just far more easily accessible.

Thanks

dc

send it back, get a KFI plate, and a KFI roller fair lead if your winch is rope  ?, and you plan on putting a plow on it ?. I run roller fair lead on all my rope winches, hawse fairlead is a very bad idea in my book.

20 minutes ago, shadetree said:

send it back, get a KFI plate, and a KFI roller fair lead if your winch is rope  ?, and you plan on putting a plow on it ?. I run roller fair lead on all my rope winches, hawse fairlead is a very bad idea in my book.

The Warn winch comes with a roller fairlead.

Also cable, which I prefer.

No plow.  We just don't have that much snow here.  At least for the least few years.

The truth is, I probably won't use this winch much at all.  I was out on the trails every week last summer and never had an opportunity to use a winch.  Just a lot of people telling me I should have one, and once that one opportunity comes up to use it, I'll appreciate it.

I have a friend in a Toyota FJ and he's out on the trails all the time, stuck 3 times in 7 years.  And one time where no trees were to pull onto.  He carries a shovel and digs himself out (so he says, I haven't seen it, and I been out with him a lot.)

dc

10 minutes ago, David13 said:

The Warn winch comes with a roller fairlead.

Also cable, which I prefer.

No plow.  We just don't have that much snow here.  At least for the least few years.

The truth is, I probably won't use this winch much at all.  I was out on the trails every week last summer and never had an opportunity to use a winch.  Just a lot of people telling me I should have one, and once that one opportunity comes up to use it, I'll appreciate it.

I have a friend in a Toyota FJ and he's out on the trails all the time, stuck 3 times in 7 years.  And one time where no trees were to pull onto.  He carries a shovel and digs himself out (so he says, I haven't seen it, and I been out with him a lot.)

dc

no beefs with cable, I just find it easier, lighter to use rope, and no more stuck fingers and hands !..lol. I have been out in the sticks, did not have a winch, as always..when you dont have one ?, YOU WILL WISH YA DID !..LOL. better to have it, not use it, than not have it, and need it !..lol.

I do suppose that if I did need the winch, say last summer, I would have liked to have it. 

But I wonder how long I would have waited until someone else came along ... with a winch. 

My experience as a kid was that rope is not very strong but cable was.  So any pulling out of a ditch that we did, we wanted cable, not rope.

But I know today they have much stronger rope.  And new rope is always stronger than old rope.

I ordered 4 tow straps or tree savers and they are all fabric.  But again the stronger fabric of today.

This atv is for recreation for me.  It will probably never see a day of work.  So if there is an issue, I'm just along for the ride, one way or another.  Some people say the adventure begins when something goes wrong.

dc

8 hours ago, David13 said:

I do suppose that if I did need the winch, say last summer, I would have liked to have it. 

But I wonder how long I would have waited until someone else came along ... with a winch. 

My experience as a kid was that rope is not very strong but cable was.  So any pulling out of a ditch that we did, we wanted cable, not rope.

But I know today they have much stronger rope.  And new rope is always stronger than old rope.

I ordered 4 tow straps or tree savers and they are all fabric.  But again the stronger fabric of today.

This atv is for recreation for me.  It will probably never see a day of work.  So if there is an issue, I'm just along for the ride, one way or another.  Some people say the adventure begins when something goes wrong.

dc

like you, I was totally against this thing they called rope on winches ?, but after seeing it, reading up on it, reading all the reviews ?, I made the call, sure enough, this rope they use is not only strong ?, but claim to be stronger than cable ?!, well, I have deff put it to use for sure, so far, it has not let me down. I would also invest in a snatch block !!!, it will double the pulling power of your winch.

All I will use is synthetic anymore. I use it on the plow a lot and it lasts the best for me.  When it breaks it's a simple tie job and going again. I've tried cheap stuff the first time I tried it and I might as well just bought a length of rope.  Spent good money then second time and was hooked.. 

I have a Warn winch and I assume Warn plate on my Rubicon. It was all the Honda kit. I remember with the new Rubicon's came out there was something I didn't like about the KFI mount, not sure if the winch had to be reversed or mounted upsidedown or what it was. Anyway, dealer installed mine before I bought it, so I never messed with it at all. It also has wire and a roller fairlead.

I should change it to synthetic cable, which I prefer. It's much safer than steel cable. I do like the roller fairlead over the Hawse style though, I really think the Hawse style is a joke, but that's just my opinion, and apparently @shadetree agrees with me which is somewhat rare....lol

Warn is the only company that I know of that recommends the roller with synthetic. I've used both and never noticed a difference with the synthetic line but most of my machines have the hawse fairleads. 

3 hours ago, Mac102004 said:

I have a Warn winch and I assume Warn plate on my Rubicon. It was all the Honda kit. I remember with the new Rubicon's came out there was something I didn't like about the KFI mount, not sure if the winch had to be reversed or mounted upsidedown or what it was. Anyway, dealer installed mine before I bought it, so I never messed with it at all. It also has wire and a roller fairlead.

I should change it to synthetic cable, which I prefer. It's much safer than steel cable. I do like the roller fairlead over the Hawse style though, I really think the Hawse style is a joke, but that's just my opinion, and apparently @shadetree agrees with me which is somewhat rare....lol

scary huh ???..lol. from what I have learned, roller fairleads never cause heat from friction like a hawse fairlead does, sooo..i use nothing but a roller fairlead on all my winch installs. what you must remember ??.if you go from cable to rope, and you still have a roller fairlead ?, YOU MUST CHANGE OUT THE FIARLEAD TO A NEW SET OF ROLLERS !!!, using a roller fairlead that has ran cable over them is not a good idea on the rope, it will cause it to fray, then break.

3 hours ago, toodeep said:

Warn is the only company that I know of that recommends the roller with synthetic. I've used both and never noticed a difference with the synthetic line but most of my machines have the hawse fairleads. 

see above ^^^^. spec if you use a winch for a plow ?, it will never work with a hawse fairlead !!!. roller all the way when using a plow. straight pulls ?, not a problem with a hawse, but when you start going at a 90 degree angle ?, no way !.

• Like 1